GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I wondering if anyone has any issues with their GMC Terrian timing chain . I have a 2012 terrain with a broken timing chain. I took my terrian to my dealership I purchased it from for repairs. After the service department diagnose my engine I was told it would cost me around $1490.00 dollars to repair it so I rented a car and waited for them to complete the repairs. I returned to my dealership the day before my repairs was suppose to be completed to confirm that my car will be ready for pick up the next day.
I was told your good to go for pickup and it will cost you about $1490.00 for the repairs. So I am happy and looking forward to getting my vehicle back. I then get the nightmare call from the service department Mr. Joseph your engine sustained damage from the broken timing chain and your engine will have to be replaced at a cost of $9800.00. Now here is my dilemma I currently owe $19,000.00 on my vehicle and my milage is is currently at 126000 thousand due to my travels to and from the east cost. I say to myself let me check my contract since I got an extended warranty at a cost $2295.00 and turned out to be useless since it only covered me for 75000 miles and expires 02 /04/2018. I took my warranty to my dealership and to the gentleman who sold me the car. I was told there is nothing we can do for you. So I take it in stride since I am a soldier and we're supposed to overcome and adapt to adversities. So I say thanks to the gentleman who sold me my car who suggested that I asked the service department if they could check around to see if they could find a replacement engine at a cheaper cost. The service department did do that and gave to cost estimates verbally for my engine replacement. The prices I received were $5200.00 for a new engine and $4900.00 for a used engine. So I told them that will have my car towed back to my home until I can come up with a way to pay for the repairs. So my vehicle was towed to my house and dropped off. Before the tow truck driver left we open the hood of my vehicle an to my dismay we found that who ever last work on my vehicle just tossed everything under my hood oil cap, sparkplugs, screws and engine parts. My first thought was that my dealership who I purchased my car from and referred a few of my friends too in which one of my friends did purchase a vehicle from my dealership didn't give a crap about me as a customer. I did put in all in a bag shake it up and now I am moving forward. I have taken my car back to my dealership for the engine replacement I have also spoken to the service manager from my dealership who in turn said he would talk to GM to see if they could help. I am a person who doesn't hold a grudge . I would like to hear from anyone in our forum regarding my situation. I would also like to know if anyone else timing chain has broken and caused so much damages to your engine that you had to have you engine replaced. I also hope there is someone from our GMC company on this forum who may read this post. I asked this question due to the fact that if this happened to me where my timing chain broke and ruined my engine I am sure it will happen to someone else who owns any of your GMC brand vehicles with timing chains. I also hope you will cover your customers six like my buddies have covered my six. This SSG J sign out and looking forward to hearing your feed back.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your predicament. A few questions for you:

1.) Are you saying your Terrain is a V6? This problem has been associated with the I-4 engine.

2.) Did the timing chain break while driving the vehicle?

3.) Had the vehicle been losing oil between changes?

4.) If those engine prices include installation, how come there is only a $300 difference?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
My timing chain was replaced at 26k miles. The dealer noticed the noisier sounds the engine was making that indicated this problem and acted accordingly. (Sounded like a cement mixer once warmed up). This is a common problem with 2010-2012s, so I would recommend opening a case with GM and hopefully they will cover some portion of the repair.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Wow, all I can say is that is a lot for an engine replacement. I did a quick search on www.car-part.com and used motors, 6 cyl or 4 cyl, are running about $1,400 around me for a low mileage example. If that is the case in your area, then that is $3,500+ in labor and fluids/parts! Ouch! Can you say Stealership!

There is an extended warranty on the timing/balance chains for many of the 4 cyl Terrains and Equinoxes that you could check up to see if it applied to yours. It would be reflected on your www.my.gm.com page if you have it. You would need to set up an account to get to it if you haven't already. I think it was 120,000 miles. Seeing as you are just a bit out of that mileage wise, and if you have the 4 cyl, they might help with the price. If you don't get any meaningful concessions from GM, I would check around and find an independent shop with a good reputation to replace your engine. More than likely it will be around or under $3,000 total for another shop to replace it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
At those prices I think it's factory new or factory reman (not used). I agree, that for a used engine, that's a huge cost.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
It's tough to say on the info provided whether those estimates are actually high. Keep in mind what's proposed here is not just the engine replacement. It also includes the timing chain and who knows what else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently had a similar situation as you. My 2010 Terrain 4cyl with 75000km died when I was on the highway. The dealer opened up the engine and everything was blown apart inside, the figured the timing chain skipped even though it was still on and tight. I was 20 days outside of warranty and was told I needed a new engine they couldnt fix mine. I was priced similar to you but I fought with head GM for 6 weeks trying to get them to cover it. I am retired from GM and currently own 6 GM vehicles that all get serviced at the dealer and they did not want to cover much. After 6 weeks of calling every day and they wouldnt answer most of the time they agreed to cover half of the new motor. If I didnt complain for so long they wouldnt have covered it, I actually ordered a used motor but the next day they finally called back. So if you bug them non stop and focus on it being a safety issue with the vehicle you might have some luck. Also if you have to buy the motor go back to the dealer and actually have them put the order through to see the final price. They told me around the same price as you but then it ended up being cheaper and they said the price they see is wrong. Brand new installed was $6000 so I only had to pay $3000cdn. Good luck with everything and hopefully you can get them to cover something.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Re: Re: TIMING CHAIN NIGHTMARE

stanman said:
I recently had a similar situation as you. My 2010 Terrain 4cyl with 75000km died when I was on the highway. The dealer opened up the engine and everything was blown apart inside, the figured the timing chain skipped even though it was still on and tight. I was 20 days outside of warranty and was told I needed a new engine they couldnt fix mine. I was priced similar to you but I fought with head GM for 6 weeks trying to get them to cover it. I am retired from GM and currently own 6 GM vehicles that all get serviced at the dealer and they did not want to cover much. After 6 weeks of calling every day and they wouldnt answer most of the time they agreed to cover half of the new motor. If I didnt complain for so long they wouldnt have covered it, I actually ordered a used motor but the next day they finally called back. So if you bug them non stop and focus on it being a safety issue with the vehicle you might have some luck. Also if you have to buy the motor go back to the dealer and actually have them put the order through to see the final price. They told me around the same price as you but then it ended up being cheaper and they said the price they see is wrong. Brand new installed was $6000 so I only had to pay $3000cdn. Good luck with everything and hopefully you can get them to cover something.
Are you aware GM extended the warranty on the timing chains?

Reactions: Enigma

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
The TSB document download just below, references the extended coverage regarding timing chain, oil consumption, ring wear, and a few other issues. You may find that after replacing the timing chain there still is oil consumption due to ring wear, metal debris from the worn timing chain tensioners, and possible cam phasing actuators. These items have all been covered by extended warranty for most owners.
Here is a document that relates to your TSB warranty coverage: - - - -http://www.archwayprints.com/uploads/latestFile1400872639.pdf
[/url]

There are quite a few who have had the issue on 2010 to 2012 2.4L engines. Yes, GM is aware of it and there are several threads dealing with it here and most owners have had good results with extended warranty GM has offered for this. Also, GM has since redesigned the 2.4L engines. These problems are due mainly to the mandated requirements for less pollution and better fuel efficiency and the car industry going to DI (Direct Injection) technology.

Newer pistons and ring design has been implemented.

Here is a link to an article that barely scratches the surface : * * *

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/12/should-you-buy-a-car-with-direct-injection.html

In GM's defense, these newly developed Direct Injection gasoline engines have technology that has been troublesome to adapt for all the car makers. Car makers have adopted this technology in response to increased pollution and efficiency demands placed upon them by the government. If you do some searches, you will find that Ford, BMW, MB, Honda, Toyota and others are continuing to have problems, but, like GM, also continue to make improvements and modifications to resolve DI compromises in engine operation and durability. For the most part, all of the major car makers, domestic and foreign, have had the same or similar issues, with failed fuel systems, durability issues, and reoccurring problems. . .. until the past 2 years or so.

What you have happened into by buying a 2010-12 Terrain or Equinox was to get in on the advent and learning curve of this new Direct Injection (DI) engine technology. Even accelerated wear and reliability testing by all the car makers did not catch all the issues that have arisen. So in closing, you would have likely had issues no matter what vehicle you purchased with a DI engine in the 2009 to 2013 time frame. And some car makers would not have covered what GM already has done for your vehicle repairs.

Well, I hope this helped a little with some perspective. Believe me, it is not agreeable to me either, to have to do so much research and consideration when buying a car. But these are the times we find ourselves in. Also today, it is imperative to learn and follow proper operation and maintenance items when owning a car. They are not as forgiving as what we were used to 10 or more years ago. Oil levels must be checked at every fuel fill up if not at least twice a month.
Well, I hope this gave a bit more insight. If not, best wishes down the road.

Reactions: Pleatia

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
JayTee2014 said:
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/12/should-you-buy-a-car-with-direct-injection.html

What you have happened into by buying a 2010-12 Terrain or Equinox was to get in on the advent and learning curve of this new Direct Injection (DI) engine technology. Even accelerated wear and reliability testing by all the car makers did not catch all the issues that have arisen. So in closing, you would have likely had issues no matter what vehicle you purchased with a DI engine in the 2009 to 2013 time frame.

Also today, it is imperative to learn and follow proper operation and maintenance items when owning a car. They are not as forgiving as what we were used to 10 or more years ago. Oil levels must be checked at every fuel fill up if not at least twice a month.
JayTee2014 (or hyperv6):

Here we go again.

You can't say, "you would have likely had issues no matter what vehicle you purchased with a DI engine in the 2009 to 2013 time frame" because you could've bought a V6 instead of the I-4 (in the same model year) and had *no* problems (relatively speaking).

The problems GM has experienced with the I-4 engines should not be lumped together with 'problems with DI implementation" (as convenient as that might be). If it were problems with DI implementation per se, we'd be seeing similar issues in the V6 engine, and we're not.

As the above autoguide article describes, the known issues with DI Implementation are primarily "longevity concerns" (long term issues):

1.) High pressure fuel pumps failing prematurely

2.) Fuel Injectors failing prematurely due to exposure to ethanol fuel which is corrosive to engine metals

3.) Carbon buildup: Oil droplets getting 'baked' onto the valves (and no fuel detergents being sprayed on them to wash it away because the fuel is now 'directly injected')

The V6's may very well end up experiencing some or all of these DI issues down the road, but the failures in the I-4 engines happened *very early* on. They were the product of bad design, bad parts, bad manufacturing processes (or some combination of these three things). In any event, they pointed to poor quality control, *not* problems implementing DI technology. That's just a smokescreen.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Colt Hero said:
The V6's may very well end up experiencing some or all of these DI issues down the road, but the failures in the I-4 engines happened *very early* on. They were the product of bad design, bad parts, bad manufacturing processes (or some combination of these three things). In any event, they pointed to poor quality control, *not* problems implementing DI technology. That's just a smokescreen.
Well, that's your opinion I guess. No "smoke screen" unless it is from an engine burning oil.
However a couple of things.

The basically same 2.4L engine, without gasoline Direct Engine, was fine for many years. We and others had one in our 2009 Saturn Aura. Others had them in Malibu and several other GM cars. Until 2010, there were none of the issues with it. READ. . . . no high pressure fuel pump seal failure that leaked gas into the engine oil diluting it and one factor contributing to engine wear. No other problems common to the DI version of the 2.4L engine either.

And, yes, other car makers had DI engine issues. There were not limited to only the issues stated in the Autoguide article. Search on the net for 2010 to 2013 engine issues from other major brands. But even with that, the issues (high pressure fuel pump, etc) the Autoguide article points out were across the board DI engine issues for many brands. Seems pretty conclusive. GM's issues also involved part problems with timing chains and cam phasers. But who knows how much of that was not due to contaminated oil issues or other related causes? The basic same 2.4L engine did not have those issues in the non DI engines previously. So, possible that DI added stresses not fully accounted for. But, yes, at least part of the issues seem to be parts not up to DI stresses. Since then, they seem to have been remedied.

Any other view is denial IMHO.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Colt Hero said:
You can't say, "you would have likely had issues no matter what vehicle you purchased with a DI engine in the 2009 to 2013 time frame" because you could've bought a V6 instead of the I-4 (in the same model year) and had *no* problems (relatively speaking).
The LFX wasn't introduced until 2012 and wasn't an option on the Thetas until MY 2013. So to compare apples to apples, you'd have to look at a 2013 2.4L and 3.6L DI. If GM had designed as released the 3.6 LFX first, would we be talking about how the 2.4 has no problems?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I received a letter last week from Premier Legal Center In California stating that a number of manufacturer defects have been reported on the GMC Terrain and if you have had engine failure,Transmission problems and other problems to contact them about a possible buy back or cash settlement. The number is 1-887-441-4441. A friend just received a $23,000. cash settlement from Ford on a 2006 diesel pickup that had many injector problems. It might be worth calling them. I have owned a 2011 V-6 and 2013 V-6 Terrain and have had zero problems.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
1981804 said:
I received a letter last week from Premier Legal Center In California stating that a number of manufacturer defects have been reported on the GMC Terrain and if you have had engine failure,Transmission problems and other problems to contact them about a possible buy back or cash settlement. The number is 1-887-441-4441. A friend just received a $23,000. cash settlement from Ford on a 2006 diesel pickup that had many injector problems. It might be worth calling them. I have owned a 2011 V-6 and 2013 V-6 Terrain and have had zero problems.
Sounds to me like "ambulance chaser" lawyers who are looking for some clients that they can make some commissions from.

·
Registered
352 Posts
1981804 said:
I received a letter last week from Premier Legal Center In California stating that a number of manufacturer defects have been reported on the GMC Terrain and if you have had engine failure,Transmission problems and other problems to contact them about a possible buy back or cash settlement. The number is 1-887-441-4441.
I got the same letter, if they get enough people especially the 2010-2012 I4 folks in, they could start a class action against GM. I just dropped mine in the shredder, very happy with mine.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I got one too saying there were lots of issues with the 2013 models. Well, I'm happily satisfied with mine. Junk mail. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
These are cases most lawyers wouldn't touch. So it's pretty interesting that there is someone specializing in the area. In the end, it works out for consumers because most lawyers would tell you to take a hike with these damages. They must already have the discovery and experts lined to try a bunch of these cases. Apparently not on a class action basis, though. If I had any damages and lived in California I would consider calling them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
We're looking to fight back. GMC and Chevrolet are leaving hundreds, if not thousands, of American consumers financially responsible for their faulty engines in Terrains and Equinoxes between 2010 and 2017. Like many, my vehicle suffered a complete engine failure with only 80,000 miles on it. We're demanding that all vehicle manufacturers cover their vehicles with a 150,000 mile full engine replacement warranty and that they reimburse all damages to customers already affected on this claim.

Here is the fact: They made a bad product. They may be big, but they need to pay for it completely just like any other American business would do. We need to show that we will not stand for these sort of unethical business practices which leave American consumers facing the financial burden for corporate mistakes.

Thank you
I support your cause and hope you guys make them pay up.

What I cannot agree with is you saying "pay for it completely just like any other American business would do" because that's a crock of poop.

There are going to be very few to no companies willingly going to pay the cost of repairs like this unless a class action is successful against them.

These companies are all the same and should be treated as such.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts