GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Equinox 3.4L AWD
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just started the car after head gasket replacement and it's making a ticking sound from the rear valve cover.
I assume it's the rockers. I've taken the cover off and looks OK although there's not much oil there (although I can see each rocker looks like it's getting oil).
I've only had the engine on for about 30 seconds. Oil change done at same time. Oil level good. Stupidly I put the ignition leads back incorrectly (the way it was when I got the car) but I don't think this should cause ticking. This is the first time I've worked on these type of engine.
Does it take time for oil to build up and stop the ticking?
The inside cover was dry of oil..i assume this is normal if the car isn't being driven?
Any thoughts?
Thanks very much!

·
Registered
2008 Equinox 3.4L AWD
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pulled it apart and checked it and squirted oil on the rockers and no noise when I restarted it. I was just to impatient and it just needed to throw some oil around.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.6k miles
4,516 Posts
@Col320ce : I’m not a mechanic, but I always thought a “ticking” noise came from the Lifters?

And if you had to replace the Head Gasket, the Coolant may have contaminated the oil, damaging the Lifters.

And if you bought this vehicle not-running, then you wouldn’t have known if the noise had already been present.

My 2002 Impala (bought brand new) started “ticking” around 100,000 miles. I had tried some of that Seafoam stuff - to no avail - and ended up replacing the Intake Gaskets (and everything else I had to touch to get to them). Since the leaking gaskets were causing Coolant to compromise the Engine Oil, I replaced the Lifters (Melling) and the “ticking” went away. I did not replace any Rockers. The vehicle currently has 246,200 miles on it...

BTW: Thank You for filling in your “Vehicle Details”! I wish every new Member would follow your lead!

·
Registered
2008 Equinox 3.4L AWD
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car was running when i got it but was loosing coolant. There was a small amount of mayonnaise in the front valve cover but none in the block.
I might be getting my terminology wrong but about discribing where the noise was but I think if I had have let the engine run another 30 seconds the noise would have gone as it naturally oiled itself. Either way it sounds and performs lovely now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@Col320ce : I’m not a mechanic, but I always thought a “ticking” noise came from the Lifters?

And if you had to replace the Head Gasket, the Coolant may have contaminated the oil, damaging the Lifters.

And if you bought this vehicle not-running, then you wouldn’t have known if the noise had already been present.

My 2002 Impala (bought brand new) started “ticking” around 100,000 miles. I had tried some of that Seafoam stuff - to no avail - and ended up replacing the Intake Gaskets (and everything else I had to touch to get to them). Since the leaking gaskets were causing Coolant to compromise the Engine Oil, I replaced the Lifters (Melling) and the “ticking” went away. I did not replace any Rockers. The vehicle currently has 246,200 miles on it...

BTW: Thank You for filling in your “Vehicle Details”! I wish every new Member would follow your lead!
Thanks for this -

1 - 5 of 5 Posts