GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just wanted to give some information on my experience with the Thule Atlantis 1600 Cargo Box. I did some research on here as well as some other web-sites and discovered this model. This is slightly bigger than the Thule Box listed in the accessories on GM's web-site. I purchased it from Tadd Wholesale on ebay for $150 (retails for $600) besides a few scratches on the top of the box, it was like new. I had to have my mother-in law pick it up as they normally will not ship these out, due to the high cost. Their feedback rating made me a little hesitant, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. I can say that I had absolutely no problems with them and everything worked out great. They seem to have cargo boxes often, so if you are looking for a good deal and can figure out a way to get it from Tennessee to your home, its a no brainer.

Anyway, I like the bigger capacity of this model, and have to say its about the largest you can get for the equinox. I had to unscrew the antenna in order for it to fit over the back. However, the lift gate does still open to the 3/4 position. I mainly bought it for trips to Tennessee to see my in laws and I often use my Iphone for the Pandora radio, so I wont miss the poor reception with the removal of the Antenna.

I was able to easily fit a set of golf clubs, stroller, assorted baby toys, and a few luggage bags with ease. The locks work great for pit stops, so you know that no one can just go open the box up and take your items while your enjoying your Big Mac! There is little noise difference going down the highway and my MPG did slightly dip by a mile or 2 per gallon, but that can mostly be attributed to the increased weight of all our "stuff" for the trip.

Overall I am very impressed and happy with the purchase, and I hope this helps a few people out looking for Cargo Carriers/Boxes.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just purchased a thule carrier today that we'll need for a vacation we have planned. We went with a Thule cargo bag with 13 cft of space for $79.95.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I saw that one also. I had read some reviews about water getting into that one during heavy rains and also wind noise being a complaint. Let me know if any of that is true and how your experience goes with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
coreyp said:
Yea, I saw that one also. I had read some reviews about water getting into that one during heavy rains and also wind noise being a complaint. Let me know if any of that is true and how your experience goes with it.
I purchased a Thule Cargo bag as well but found that it does not fit well on the GM installed racks/bars. I've tried several adjustments to no avail.
I ended up ordering Thule's cargo basket. Recently 2 Thule products were listed on GMC's site under Terrain accessories . The other is the Ascent 1500.
It looks like the cargo bag I already have will fit in the basket. Will see when the cargo basket arrives tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts