GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have had problems with engine reduced power service stabiltrak and service engine light comes on.
I had brought it to the dealer as it wouldn't run over 200rpm and died one morning, i was covered under power train to be towed.(has 78000miles)
I was charged(148$) to clean the TB and said I would need one, the tech said I could just clean it myself until payday and could afford a 1200$ tb install, so I have done it about 3 times so far, last Saturday I cleaned it out with brake clean! by mistake non flammable I started it up right after I had cleaned it I didn't let it run long(about two mins) I should of let it run and drove around the block, the next morning I woke up about 8 hours later tried to start it no go, I have changed the oil & replaced spark plugs and still no start. I did a little starter fluid and it ignited the fluid and died, pulled out a random plug (the backs are pain to just go checking!) and was nothing on them it isn't starting, I'm afraid brake clean might have destroyed the piston rings or a sensor somewhere, any ideas where to start before I get it towed to the dealer?!
I have tried pedal to the floor, and turning key for flood clear mode, I didn't spray any on the MAP sensor. I have killed the battery twice now trying to get it started.
Thanks for any replies yes idiot mistake TB cleaner & Brake clean are the same bottle here I had did the brakes so I had a bottle in same reach.

·
Registered
315 Posts
NHOJWOLFE said:
considering you should have 30,000 miles bumper to bumper i wouldnt pay anything. I would make them fix it
actually its 3/36k bumper to bumper

But you notice he is out of that....and I imagine an older style equinox 3.4V6 maybe.

If you know someone that can read the codes in the ECM it would help greatly.

But my .02

With a broken piston ring the engine would still start...It would emitt "blue smoke" out of the exhaust....The engine might run rough, but not true most of the time (depends on how bad dmg is). The plugs would show signs of oil on them. You could verify low compression by doing a compression check, but unless you have oil on your plugs I would not worry about it.

To me sounds fuel related...If it turns over on the starter fluid, sounds like your having fuel related issues. The spark is there just no fuel. I would change the fuel filter, or do a fuel line pressure test ...Could be the fuel pump as well

A bad MAF or MAP sensor then engine should still start...it would just have issues running.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Check the IAT sensor and MAF sensor as well.

Plus, $1200 to install a TB?!?!?! That is just INSANE! It takes like an hour to change them out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1200 installed(my mistake!) but I can get a re-manufactured one for under 200! but 100 shipping!, I'm in Alaska.

I have pulled the spark plug out after a failed start, no oil on it.
I have checked the spark plugs & wire for spark using a volt meter, I do not have a code reader, but I guess I will invest in one soon.
It was unhooked from the battery for about 3 hours so everything was reset and actually the service engine came back on.

I don't know how to check fuel pressure so I wouldn't be able to do that one.

It does try to start, but fails to go, and the computer will not let try to start it longer then 10 seconds I believe, How would I go about checking the MAP? The original problem was the throttle body would gunk up and send a service stabil & engine reduced power one morning the thing ran really rough and wouldn't go over 5mph so we had it towed they cleaned it out, and that was when he told me to just clean it out myself when it acted up it worked fine till one night I didn't run it long enough to burn the cleaner out, course i used TB cleaner those times.

Thanks for the replies, when I buy a code reader from schucks on monday... I had one awhile ago but sold it, but it was a basic one.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
This doesnt sound like a TB at all.

You can check the fuel pressure by using the shrader valve on the fuel rail. Get a PSI reader from a part store. Should be able to rent one.

What does your coolant look like?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just had a flush its normal color.

We didn't think it would be the TB but when we went online and read up others have this problem, the initial code was a ' a d coordination', so we replaced the pedal hoping it would work but the same problems so they said the TB would need to be replaced, I took spark plug 1 out i think is the number and checked it no oil and there is fuel, for some reason its not igniting??? starter fluid sure does, i sprayed about 4seconds in the intake after the MAP (directly passed the butterfly) I took the TB off completely and cleaned it the right way, when the key turns to the acc mode or which ever is before you turn it over doesn't the butterfly move at all???

I will check into renting a tool to check the fuel pressure Monday when I go to schucks to get a code reader... thanks for your input it is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bought a innova 3100e today,4 codes 2 the same.

P0122 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor A Circuit Low Input

P0223 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor B Circuit High Input

The same twice.
I'm going to charge the battery and clear MIL and try to restart and see what errors pop up, and it has an option to view live view...

·
Registered
315 Posts
kryptek said:
Bought a innova 3100e today,4 codes 2 the same.

P0122 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor A Circuit Low Input

P0223 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor B Circuit High Input

The same twice.
I'm going to charge the battery and clear MIL and try to restart and see what errors pop up, and it has an option to view live view...
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0122

http://repairpal.com/obd-ii-code-p0223

I'm sure you've looked these up...But even with those codes I would imagine the car would start, unless its thinking the pedal is floored and its flooding the engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, the scanner software tells me what to check.
I had taken off the TB I forgot to plug it back in before I turned key to acc.
I just put it all back and am waiting to fully charge battery, I'm going to try to start it. It has been sitting for about 2 weeks now, No oil on the spark plugs, fuel is. I will re check the plugs to see if they are putting out volts as well. It started the night before I cleaned out the TB in first place, I cleaned the IAC out with some electronic parts cleaner.

So many sensors now a days.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there is spark, there is fuel, there is no start!
I will have to dig deeper this weekend, something isn't right somewhere.

·
Registered
45 Posts
have you tried new spark plugs? and are the old ones the factory platinum's? if they are they tend to "flood" very easy, and I have never seen one come out of it. Those plugs tend to be way more sensitive than your average spark plug.

You may have spark, but it might be weak enough under compression to not fire.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I replaced the front ones, the back ones were not so easy to get to.
I have a new throttle on order(is bad), and when I put that in I'll take the alt off to get to the back ones.
If it doesn't start then I'll just have it towed to the dealer and let everyone here know what was wrong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I'm hoping this works.
I changed the FRONT three plugs the first time, I attempted the back three without success, I googled a HOWTO and found out how to change the back three, remove the spark plug wires and all the objects in the way, ha That's what I was going to do on sunday but I had time today.
As I was pulling and double checking the wires I noticed I screwed up and put 5 on 3 or something like that, So I'm hoping it will start once the battery is charged. It wouldn't start before I changed the plugs, after it was hesitant so I assumed the back three needed to be replaced, they all have carbon build up and smell of fuel NO OIL on them thankfully. So once the battery charges up I'm hoping it will work.
Will let you know if its user error in this case, and if it doesn't start well its going to Alaska Sale's and Service.
I changed all the plugs, oil and air filter. I'm going to attempt to start it w/o starter fluid. I will check the fuel pressure as well
Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, it didn't start I squirted some starter fluid in there for 3seconds like the bottle recommends.
It started right up, its been running for about twenty mins.
Bad news, its has a whitish smoke to it now.
I checked the oil etc.

I broke the PVC pipe plastic why I never know so I'm ordering that now, and when it gets in, if that doesn't fix it, I'm hoping the power train warantee will. its had a slight lifter chatter for awhile. Maybe it finally went out???

Thanks for all the help. I think changing the front plugs and back plugs is what worked... the new TB should be in Saturday.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts