GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks! Relatively new member here, and as of December 27th 2011 an owner of a new 2012 Terrain. This is our first SUV, first GMC & first non-imported vehicle in a long time (although I still think it is kinda funny that a vehicle built in Canada is not considered an import!)

I have to say that after about 1500 miles, we are very pleased with our purchase. We'll see how it goes as we put on miles. The GMC has a lot to live up to as far as reliability & longevity is concerned. We actually traded-in 2 vehicles when purchasing; a '96 Subaru Impreza bought new & a '99 Subaru Legacy Outback SUS sedan bought used. The '96 had 230K miles on the clock; the '99 had something more than 165K (the speedometer was working only when it wanted to). The point is, both vehicles were utterly reliable during our ownership. I hope this GMC does as well.

The GMC is my wife's (Nancy) daily driver, I'll use it occasionally & when we travel the 150 miles "back home" to see family as opposed to my daily driver (a 2000 Nissan Sentra). Nancy has told me numerous times that she receives many positive comments when out & about on the appearance of our vehicle - it is Carbon Black Metallic with the 18" chrome rims. We really like the styling too, & it is equipped with a lot of features we were looking for. That would include the power lift gate; rear camera; & heated seats to name a few. We also wanted a V6; while we've had good service from our 4 cylinder vehicles we both wanted the extra grunt that a 6 offers.

However, as this is the SLT-2, we both think that there are some things lacking that should be included on this trim level or at the very least optional - but sadly are not available. I thought I would list them here:

  • No HomeLink (or equivalent) option. This is kind of surprising as most of everything else GMC offers has it available. Why it isn't in the Terrain is a mystery; especially as it isn't available as an aftermarket option.
  • No blind-spot monitoring on the outside rear view mirrors. The small wide-view mirror at the upper outside edge of the outside rear views is helpful, but not near as nice as the electronic monitoring available in a lot of the competition.
  • No outside rear-view mirror mounted turn signal indicators. I think they're a nice looking feature & they are attention grabbers.
  • Outside rear-view mirrors are not power folding. (I'm not obsessed with mirrors - honest!) A friend has a Yukon Denali with this feature. It is nice when pulling into the garage, when parking, etc.
  • Front passenger seat is not power adjustable. Especially when I'm driving Nancy would appreciate a power option. Lumbar support would be appreciated too.
  • Zone Climate Control. It is a little surprising that there is only 1 setting for the entire cabin; it would be nice to have dual settings for the front & something for the rear seat passengers.
  • LED Lighting. I think LED DRLs would look fanatstic on the Terrain; rear LEDs would be nice too.

Obviously, none of these were deal breakers for us! The other vehicle that we were really interested in was the Kia Sorento and in SX trim comes with most of what I have listed for a similar, although maybe slightly higher price. Since Nancy really liked the look of the GMC & how it drove, & the dealer made us a nice deal, we just went with the Terrain without looking any further. If it were to be my daily driver, I think I would have at least looked at the Kia before making a purchase.

I know that someone from GMC Customer Service cruises this site; I thought I would put my thought down for what they are worth. Again, we are both happy with our purchase to this point. However, had my opinion been weighted a little more heavier than my wife's we would have at least looked at the competition before buying. Just sayin.... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Congrats!! nicely loaded Terrain!..

Here is what you will get from our GM customer rep:



would be happy to look into this for you with the last eight of your VIN. Please feel free to contact me privately for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.


;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
It seems like most of the things you listed lacking are mostly on much more expensive "luxury" level SUVs

If any of those proposed "bells and whistles" added to the cost in general(even for us that choose not to get them), I don't think it would be popular move

Probably the option that I think is most ridiculous was the navigation system. Thousands of dollars for a sub-par system at best!!!

For me, personally, I was drawn to the Terrain due to its exterior, gas mileage, and reasonable price.

I think it is noteworthy that you still decided on a Terrain though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
Kevinch said:
Hi folks! Relatively new member here, and as of December 27th 2011 an owner of a new 2012 Terrain. This is our first SUV, first GMC & first non-imported vehicle in a long time (although I still think it is kinda funny that a vehicle built in Canada is not considered an import!)

I have to say that after about 1500 miles, we are very pleased with our purchase. We'll see how it goes as we put on miles. The GMC has a lot to live up to as far as reliability & longevity is concerned. We actually traded-in 2 vehicles when purchasing; a '96 Subaru Impreza bought new & a '99 Subaru Legacy Outback SUS sedan bought used. The '96 had 230K miles on the clock; the '99 had something more than 165K (the speedometer was working only when it wanted to). The point is, both vehicles were utterly reliable during our ownership. I hope this GMC does as well.

The GMC is my wife's (Nancy) daily driver, I'll use it occasionally & when we travel the 150 miles "back home" to see family as opposed to my daily driver (a 2000 Nissan Sentra). Nancy has told me numerous times that she receives many positive comments when out & about on the appearance of our vehicle - it is Carbon Black Metallic with the 18" chrome rims. We really like the styling too, & it is equipped with a lot of features we were looking for. That would include the power lift gate; rear camera; & heated seats to name a few. We also wanted a V6; while we've had good service from our 4 cylinder vehicles we both wanted the extra grunt that a 6 offers.

However, as this is the SLT-2, we both think that there are some things lacking that should be included on this trim level or at the very least optional - but sadly are not available. I thought I would list them here:

  • No HomeLink (or equivalent) option. This is kind of surprising as most of everything else GMC offers has it available. Why it isn't in the Terrain is a mystery; especially as it isn't available as an aftermarket option.
  • No blind-spot monitoring on the outside rear view mirrors. The small wide-view mirror at the upper outside edge of the outside rear views is helpful, but not near as nice as the electronic monitoring available in a lot of the competition.
  • No outside rear-view mirror mounted turn signal indicators. I think they're a nice looking feature & they are attention grabbers.
  • Outside rear-view mirrors are not power folding. (I'm not obsessed with mirrors - honest!) A friend has a Yukon Denali with this feature. It is nice when pulling into the garage, when parking, etc.
  • Front passenger seat is not power adjustable. Especially when I'm driving Nancy would appreciate a power option. Lumbar support would be appreciated too.
  • Zone Climate Control. It is a little surprising that there is only 1 setting for the entire cabin; it would be nice to have dual settings for the front & something for the rear seat passengers.
  • LED Lighting. I think LED DRLs would look fanatstic on the Terrain; rear LEDs would be nice too.





    I agree, Kevinch, and a huge welcome to the Forum, GM should have upscaled some of the options that are out there, especially with their MSRP asking price.

    I've had a Terrain in every year and my new 2012 now, I opted for the Lane Assist as well. It's a really cool feature.

    Enjoy your new wheels and Happy Motoring!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
wrusprod said:
Congrats!! nicely loaded Terrain!..

Here is what you will get from our GM customer rep:



would be happy to look into this for you with the last eight of your VIN. Please feel free to contact me privately for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.


;D
Too funny wruspod!! lol and a good one!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
POLRCUB said:
Too funny wruspod!! lol and a good one!!
I'm still laughing at it with each reply. I'm sure all she does is punch it into a computer to check for recalls and that's it. Then if desired forwards it on to someone that doesn't care at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
POLRCUB said:
I opted for the Lane Assist as well. It's a really cool feature.
I agree; our Terrain is so equipped as well. The options are the V6, Forward Collision & Lane Departure alerts, the upgraded radio (but not the one with rear entertainment), the paint, & the Protection Package (4 splash guards & 4 heavy winter floor mats).

I hope I didn't come off sounding smug. We feel very fortunate - actually undeserving & blessed - that we were able to acquire a vehicle as nice as a new Terrain. None of our other vehicles had any of those things I mentioned, & we certainly don't whine about not having them now! Up till the Terrain purchase, the newest vehicle we owned was our 2000 Nissan Sentra with 107,000 on the odometer & now my daily driver. One thing for certain: vehicles have changed a lot in the 12 years since we left the dealer with our then new Sentra!

Most everyone cruising this board knows what these vehicles cost; my point is on a vehicle that has a sticker closer to $40k than $30k it would seem some of those things might be included if not optional. For instance, the Acadia SLT -2 has a power passenger seat, rear air, "tri-zone" climate control, and as an available option ventilated front seats. Granted it is a larger, more expensive vehicle but at the same trim level it would be nice to have the same extras & options available.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top