GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came across the following video, of a 2010 Terrain owner who changes his own oil (and filter) using a vacuum pump (Moeller). Very cool, no need to climb under vehicle and drain dirty oil that way.

Anyone ever done this?

Anyone see any potential issues with using such a device?

I have no idea, however, where one would discard the dirty oil? (the receptacle shown in the video that he discards the old oil into; no idea what that's called...or one would get one? ..and then what do you do with it? Surely you can't just toss in you the local landfill?)

http://www.justcar.org/tag/2011-terrain-oil-changes

ETA: If a person does their own oil/filter changes, how do you have "proof" that you're doing regular oil changes should you ever have to provide proof of same to maintain warranty? At least if you choose to go to a place like Superlube or whatever (as opposed to dealership), you get a receipt....but DIY you have nothing.....but if you can DIY and save $ why wouldn't you?

·
Registered
441 Posts
any shavings or particles can potentially settle to the bottom.....thus draining from the bottom is the normal....not to mention the potential for internal issue by applying a vacuum pressure to the engine....

you dispose of the oil by taking it to autozone, or recycling places that do oils......

DIY- receipt, and or service log.....most people on here do their own oil changes....and the majority do it from underneath....i find no neeed to purchase something extra for a 10 minute job......very simple....

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
gar187er said:
any shavings or particles can potentially settle to the bottom.....thus draining from the bottom is the normal....not to mention the potential for internal issue by applying a vacuum pressure to the engine....
Well, considering the motor is always under pressure when its on, there is no problem with the vacuum.

I used a vacuum pump the last oil change and once I got it figured out, it went very smooth. Our apartment complex will fine you for changing your oil so you have to do it on the down low.

People use this way all the time on marine motors, TDI guys do it a lot too because of a skid plate that is a PITA to remove and replace.

·
Registered
977 Posts
It's wasy to reach the drain plug on the Nox so I don't see the benefit of the pump. One oil change place near me uses a vaccum via the dip stick. They have been in buiness for years and do a great business. Their unit empties the oil pretty fast. I went their when I had a 1988 Nova.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Honestly I have mixed emotions on this...

I guess it's just the "Ol Skool" in me

·
Registered
365 Posts
GM finally comes up with a vehicle that you can change the oil and filter in 5 minutes or less and you want to vacuum oil from the top? ;D

Do it from the bottom. You have a much better chance of getting all the solids if any out that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts