GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now with winter approaching. In the Equinox rear cargo, right side panel there is a compartment...If GM had made this about 10mm wider it would have fit a standard jug of windshield washer fluid perfectly.

·
Registered
441 Posts
not many people carry a whole extra bottle of fluid......not a very consumer friendly feature....

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
You can always find a container that fits and then just refill that container. ;D

What I would like is a larger expandable net behind drivers seat to hold a squirt bottle of windshield deicer. I jammed one in, but I'm affraid it might rip in time.

·
Registered
239 Posts
gar187er said:
not many people carry a whole extra bottle of fluid......not a very consumer friendly feature....
I'm not sure I understand what would be un-friendly to the consumer about having the bin be 10mm wider.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Would hate to see what that 8 lb bottle of water sitting in that rear compartment would do in a crash.
Why not find a square container that will fit in the spare tire compartment and put in a extra qt or so.. if you would need more,,, Walmart is usually open 24/7

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I try not to carry anything loose in the cabin if I can help it. Right now the only thing loose is my California Squeegy.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I wish the storage compartment under the armrest was just slightly wider so a standard size box of klenex would drop in.
I would also like it if the usb input were placed in a way that didn't stick straing out into the middle of the storage area, perhaps tucked up against one of the sides somehow.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
GMCdriver said:
I wish the storage compartment under the armrest was just slightly wider so a standard size box of klenex would drop in.
I would also like it if the usb input were placed in a way that didn't stick straing out into the middle of the storage area, perhaps tucked up against one of the sides somehow.
Ditch the klenex and throw in a roll of toliet paper.Serves dual purpose blow the nose and...

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
Ditch the klenex and throw in a roll of toliet paper.Serves dual purpose blow the nose and...
Good point, that console is so big, that I have put a lot of $hit in there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GMCdriver said:
Agreed. Perhaps a right angle USB port so you plug in pushing straight down or at least a countersunk 45 deg angle port. I'm waiting for the day my wife or someone else reaches their arm down in there and...snap! A second USB port in that little cubby under the radio beside the power jack would be convenient too.

I would also like them to do a software upgrade that your computer can learn and hold in memory up to 8 TPMS sensor serial numbers and then on the DIC you can select your winter or summer set.

I have a dedicated set of snow's with their own TPMS sensors on the wheels and as far as I know you still have to go to the dealer each fall and spring to reprogram them and tell the computer which sensor is on which corner.

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
mmarges said:
as I know you still have to go to the dealer each fall and spring to reprogram them and tell the computer which sensor is on which corner.
Not true - just go through the re-learn procedure that you have to do when you rotate your tires, and it will see the new TPMSs on the snow tires. It is explained in the Owners Manual. No need to go to the dealer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually right this morning I was at my buddies GM shop and we mounted my new snow tires on my 17" OEM Equinox wheels with TPMS sensors. This 17" set is now my dedicated winters and the 19" that I upgraded too when I bought the vehicle are my dedicated summers.

So, He had a module plugged in and we went to the DIC on the screen with the tire pressure readings. We held in the Set/reset button on the radio area and then while holding that "set" we hit menu...then in went in to the programming mode and did some beeping and flashing things.

To learn all these sensors for the very first time and "Marry" them to this vehicle he had to go to each tire and point some sort of wireless hand held thingy close to each valve stem and hit a button. I believe this is the part where he's copying the serial numbers to the computer and telling which sensor is on which corner.

So, is what you're saying that if I switch out my wheels (but put the right wheel back to the righ corner). Everything will go...or do I still have to hit that Set & menu buttons again to go into that programming mode (but I don't need to go around to each wheel with that wireless hand held unit). ???

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
I programmed my winter wheels by using the reset/learn function - and no other devices. You start with the left front wheel, and let air out of the tire until the horn beeps and the lights flash - then you do the same to each weel in a clock-wise direction. Very simply, and dealer or special tools are not needed. Slick setup. Everyone told me that you need the serial numbers from the TPMSs, but you don't. Takes about 2 minutes !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is this on the Terrain/Equinox or both?
Does anybody have any documentation explaining this proceedure...would be nice to have handy for next spring.
Also, there are many post on this site about the confusion in this matter.

·
Registered
441 Posts
GMCdriver said:
I'm not sure I understand what would be un-friendly to the consumer about having the bin be 10mm wider.
can you really believe they would market a feature as "holds a spare bottle of windshield washer fluid in the cargo area?

no, because you have a whole cargo area to place a bottle.....its not a consumer friendly feature.....having a 50% larger capacity fluid reservoir is though...

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
mmarges said:
Is this on the Terrain/Equinox or both?
Does anybody have any documentation explaining this proceedure...would be nice to have handy for next spring.
Also, there are many post on this site about the confusion in this matter.
Both cars. The procedure is explained step-by-step in your Owners Manual. There is a lot of good information in this manual !

·
Registered
239 Posts
gar187er said:
can you really believe they would market a feature as "holds a spare bottle of windshield washer fluid in the cargo area?

no, because you have a whole cargo area to place a bottle.....its not a consumer friendly feature.....having a 50% larger capacity fluid reservoir is though...
'Unworthy of being marketed' and 'not consumer friendly' are different things.
A slightly larger cubby in the cargo my not be anything noteworth but it is far from a detriment to the consumer.
Unfriendly to the consumer is something like 18%apr.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
gar187er said:

Can you really believe that GM marketed a $30,000 TENT...oh wait no....that was a $30,000 tent that doubled as a SUV...The Pontiac Aztec. If they can think up something so ridiculous as that, you think they would say hey, since we're putting a compartment here anyway...it's currently only 10mm shy of holding one of the most popular items our customers stuff in their trunks....a standard jug of washer fluid. And since it would hold better in a compartment rather than sloshing around the cargo area lets do it. Use it to hold the spare jug of fluid or don't but at least it's there and convenient.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
mmarges said:
Can you really believe that GM marketed a $30,000 TENT...oh wait no....that was a $30,000 tent that doubled as a SUV...The Pontiac Aztec. If they can think up something so ridiculous as that, you think they would say hey, since we're putting a compartment here anyway...it's currently only 10mm shy of holding one of the most popular items our customers stuff in their trunks....a standard jug of washer fluid. And since it would hold better in a compartment rather than sloshing around the cargo area lets do it. Use it to hold the spare jug of fluid or don't but at least it's there and convenient.
I just don't get it. Why do you need to carry a jug of windshield washer fluid around with you..anyhow? Can't you just periodically check it...and fill it from a container stored in the garage?

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
IceMan said:
I just don't get it. Why do you need to carry a jug of windshield washer fluid around with you..anyhow? Can't you just periodically check it...and fill it from a container stored in the garage?
I second that. I have never myself, nor heard of anyone (but you) carrying around an extra bottle of WWF. And yes, I do live in a snowbelt region - the "great" NorthEast. But, to each their own...

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.