GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As with a lot of people here I’ve also had problems with my NOX mechanically. I understand that vehicles can come from the factory with issues. What I don’t understand is why GM is making us do the troubleshooting for the repairs that have to be made in order to fix our cars. I should be able to bring my car into the dealer and it should come back fixed because this is a manufacturer problem. I find it disturbing that everyone at my dealer has never heard of this problem (start-up noise, etc.). My next step is calling the service Manager and I’m going to tell them my issue and what I need. I need to have a loaner SUV, they need to wait overnight to start my car so they can hear the noise of the engine with the mechanic present that will be working on my car, they need to replace the solenoids, actuators, reprogram ecm, and change the oil. I have done the troubleshooting for them and I will do my best to convey this to the manager. If my vehicle comes back and it is not fixed, I will never purchase another GM vehicle and I will spread the word.

"I wrote this thread back in September, my thoughts have changed since then. My vehicle is now fixed and I'm willing to give GM another chance in the future" updated 11/26/11.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Valsequinox said:
As with a lot of people here I’ve also had problems with my NOX mechanically. I understand that vehicles can come from the factory with issues. What I don’t understand is why GM is making us do the troubleshooting for the repairs that have to be made in order to fix our cars. I should be able to bring my car into the dealer and it should come back fixed because this is a manufacturer problem. I find it disturbing that everyone at my dealer has never heard of this problem (start-up noise, etc.) when this is the biggest dealer in a city of 1 million people with 100’s of NOX purchases if not thousands in that time period when these cars were made and delivered to Tucson. My next step is calling the service Manager and I’m going to tell them my issue and what I need. I need to have a loaner SUV, they need to wait overnight to start my car so they can hear the noise of the engine with the mechanic present that will be working on my car, they need to replace the solenoids, actuators, reprogram ecm, and change the oil. I have done the troubleshooting for them and I will do my best to convey this to the manager. If my vehicle comes back and it is not fixed, I will never purchase another GM vehicle and I will spread the word.
:thumb:

trust me they have heard about it,now it's unfortunetly up to you to make them listen.
Good Luck Vals

·
Registered
4 Posts
Valsequinox said:
---cut--

If my vehicle comes back and it is not fixed, I will never purchase another GM vehicle and I will spread the word.
Oh well that will scare them just like the same tactic scares our greedy politicians. Both of them, the Dealer and the politician know we have no more say in anything. They know that your threat has no teeth. They know that 1 million of your fellow human beings won't care about your beef and buy chevy's and pay taxes regardless. They control us we are doooomed. Game over no reset.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Valsequinox said:
As with a lot of people here I’ve also had problems with my NOX mechanically. I understand that vehicles can come from the factory with issues. What I don’t understand is why GM is making us do the troubleshooting for the repairs that have to be made in order to fix our cars. I should be able to bring my car into the dealer and it should come back fixed because this is a manufacturer problem. I find it disturbing that everyone at my dealer has never heard of this problem (start-up noise, etc.) when this is the biggest dealer in a city of 1 million people with 100’s of NOX purchases if not thousands in that time period when these cars were made and delivered to Tucson. My next step is calling the service Manager and I’m going to tell them my issue and what I need. I need to have a loaner SUV, they need to wait overnight to start my car so they can hear the noise of the engine with the mechanic present that will be working on my car, they need to replace the solenoids, actuators, reprogram ecm, and change the oil. I have done the troubleshooting for them and I will do my best to convey this to the manager. If my vehicle comes back and it is not fixed, I will never purchase another GM vehicle and I will spread the word.

The dealer who tried to fix my Equinox before I traded it for another manufacturer told me they never heard of the problem. Yet a coworker of mine was there the day before with the same issue. They told him they would have to order the parts (solenoids). They told me I did not need the solenoids as their visual inspection found them to be okay...and they just did the ECM update...which did not work. Bottom line is the LIED to me.

The way I see it GM has no clue how to fix this, dealerships won't state that so they keep stringing owners along, and we all sit here typing on the keyboard.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The buck has to stop here.

It can't just be one of us raising a flag, we ALL have to raise a flag.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Valsequinox said:
I wrote this before my vehicle was fixed; I was frustrated that I just spent 30,000 on a vehicle that had engine problems. My NOX has been fine since they've done the repairs and although it is fixed now, I think I will always hesitate before buying another GM product. I will definitely do my research, and in Hein site, I’m not going to write GM off but in this day and age it's ridiculous to have these kinds of issues on a new car. Period!!!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Lots of threads regarding our issues....maybe someone will see it and do something...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Valsequinox said:
I wrote this before my vehicle was fixed; I was frustrated that I just spent 30,000 on a vehicle that had engine problems. My NOX has been fine since they've done the repairs and although it is fixed now, I think I will always hesitate before buying another GM product. I will definitely do my research, and in Hein site, I’m not going to write GM off but in this day and age it's ridiculous to have these kinds of issues on a new car. Period!!!
haha, Hein Site

·
Registered
1 Posts
What did they do to fix your problem. I have a 2011 that shifts hard, the transmission shutters even when not under stress, and also makes a noise at start up. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
In this forum go to"issues with 2011 terrain" (same engine like equinox) and you will see 120 pages. All with same problem you have. Youare not alone.

·
Registered
949 Posts
volcycle said:
What did they do to fix your problem. I have a 2011 that shifts hard, the transmission shutters even when not under stress, and also makes a noise at start up. Thanks for your help.
I sent you a message with more detailed information and a few very resourceful links here on the forum. Check your inbox.

·
Registered
31 Posts
volcycle said:
Do you have a V4 or V6? The big thread appears to be noise with the V4 engine, but I have had the same types of problems that you have with my V6 Terrain. Don't even have 10,000 miles on it (year old the end of December). I have had it in 3 times and they can never reproduce the problem. I had put it in my survey every time I get sent one and I'm to the point of just quit complaining to them because until enough people complain and GM admits a problem I am stuck. Went out on Tuesday and before I was a mile out of my development the tranny almost went into spasms. Went in and out of 3rd gear so many times I thought it was going to stall. I finally just had to floor the thing and get it above 3rd as fast as possible. Only seems to happen between 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Is mostly OK when it can upshift fast, but if I am behind any traffic that keeps the speed down that's when it happens the most. Is that what is happening with yours? I am begging anyone out there that is having the same kinds of problems to please tell your service people so that we can get more on record. I, unfortunately, am absolutely NOT in a position to trade this on another car. I am unemployed now and there is no way I can take a hit. Plus I really like the car, just not the tranny!!!

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
NancyR said:
Do you have a V4 or V6? The big thread appears to be noise with the V4 engine, but I have had the same types of problems that you have with my V6 Terrain. Don't even have 10,000 miles on it (year old the end of December). I have had it in 3 times and they can never reproduce the problem. I had put it in my survey every time I get sent one and I'm to the point of just quit complaining to them because until enough people complain and GM admits a problem I am stuck. Went out on Tuesday and before I was a mile out of my development the tranny almost went into spasms. Went in and out of 3rd gear so many times I thought it was going to stall. I finally just had to floor the thing and get it above 3rd as fast as possible. Only seems to happen between 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Is mostly OK when it can upshift fast, but if I am behind any traffic that keeps the speed down that's when it happens the most. Is that what is happening with yours? I am begging anyone out there that is having the same kinds of problems to please tell your service people so that we can get more on record. I, unfortunately, am absolutely NOT in a position to trade this on another car. I am unemployed now and there is no way I can take a hit. Plus I really like the car, just not the tranny!!!
FYI - the engine is an I-4, not a V-4. The cylinders are all in a line, not in a V-pattern. (not picking on you, but you will have more credibility with mechanics if you speak their lingo !)

Also, just curious, how do you know that it was going in and out of 3rd gear ? With my I-4, I really cannot tell, very easily, what gear I am in, unless I pay very close attention to the tach. I guess I am lucky.

Good luck, and keep their feet to the fire - you paid good money for the car, and you deserve to have a good car - in all aspects !

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
volcycle said:
I can also look into this for you with more information. Please feel free to contact me privately for further assistance. It would also be helpful to include the last eight of your VIN. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
31 Posts
RIT333 said:
FYI - the engine is an I-4, not a V-4. The cylinders are all in a line, not in a V-pattern. (not picking on you, but you will have more credibility with mechanics if you speak their lingo !)

Also, just curious, how do you know that it was going in and out of 3rd gear ? With my I-4, I really cannot tell, very easily, what gear I am in, unless I pay very close attention to the tach. I guess I am lucky.

Good luck, and keep their feet to the fire - you paid good money for the car, and you deserve to have a good car - in all aspects !

I'm 59 years old, so I guess it will always be a "V" to me. I really don't care what the letter is, I just want them to fix the stupid thing! Since I have almost consistently hard shifts between 1 to 2 and 2 to 3, I know exactly what speeds it shifts at since I feel them every time. Plus I feel as though each and every time I drive it I am subconsciously "counting" the upshifts and bracing myself for the faltering. And when I talk to my service people I don't really discuss the engine specs, I just describe the problems.......same ones over and over and over. At this point in time I would put in for the lemon law, but if nothing can ever be reproduced by service I don't think they would go for it. I may have to have a talk with the service manager the next time, or even contact the regional manager. I do know that with driving here (near Charlotte, NC) there is never a time when I can accelerate without having to slow down and speed up on an almost constant basis and I don't know how long I can deal with the thought always in the back of my mind that there is a very real possibility I will get hit in the rear when the car doesn't shift properly.

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
NancyR said:
I'm 59 years old, so I guess it will always be a "V" to me.
But, it will NEVER be a "V" to any mechanic.

:soapbox:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Can I get that V-4...maybe it will run better than my I-4,!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't have this problem but it would be nice if the OP would shed some light on the subject for those who do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts