GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into my local GMC dealer today to testdrive the terrain. we figured out some #'s for the slt2 with the navi. For a lease wit 15k miles and no money down i was quoted 685 a month. Is this really even possible? Just from seeing what kind of cars friends and family have the avg car u can get for 685 a month lease is like a bmw 5 series or a benz. If this is the case, i dont see how the terrains are flying out the door.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
Sounds 'high' to me....but I've never leased.
Maybe they're 'flying out the door' because many are just buying them..perhaps with a trade-in...and financing the balance....?

·
Registered
19 Posts
JSabia85 said:
I went into my local GMC dealer today to testdrive the terrain. we figured out some #'s for the slt2 with the navi. For a lease wit 15k miles and no money down i was quoted 685 a month. Is this really even possible? Just from seeing what kind of cars friends and family have the avg car u can get for 685 a month lease is like a bmw 5 series or a benz. If this is the case, i dont see how the terrains are flying out the door.
That is horrendous! What was the selling price that was used to calculate the lease? How long was the lease for? Also, what was the money factor and residual value in determining the lease?

Financing the car would be cheaper then that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just did some quick research and it looks like the residual value on a Terrain after 3 years is about 45% which is terrible. So if you your terrain was sold at $35,000, that means you need to pay $19,250 of that within the 3 years of use. Which is $534.00 before you start adding taxes / interest and everything. That is why it is coming out high.

EDIT: needed to redo the math.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I remember when Chrysler 1st introduced the PT Crusier. They were selling over list. Then all of a sudden after a few years the sales went down. I don't think they are made now. GM .. Don't get to greedy. It will come back and bite you in the A$$

·
Registered
441 Posts
cause you asked for 0 down.....

·
Registered
182 Posts
A fully loaded Terrain (V6, AWD, SLT2, Nav) comes in at around $40K, so yes, it can certainly get up there, even for a lease. I'm going to guess a 5 year old Terrain is going to sell for about $8-$10K, so $600'ish a month is about right.

Sure, of course you can get into a BMW or Benz for that kind of payment, even a 5 series... But a 5 series can be a $40K car (bare bones 528), or a $100K car (M5). I've driven many bare bones 3 and 5 series, they're not that special. I'd rather drive a fully loaded car with all the toys versus a base model of something else, dollar for dollar. I considered a 3 series (335d), an Infiniti M37, and an IS350 alongside the terrain. You don't get much, barely even bluetooth for the price of a nicely equipped SLT1 or 2.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
RNOX said:
$40,000 for a small SUV.. Unbelieveable ::)
$40,000 for one with all the toys that you need ......
Just saw a 2011 SLE1 one the lot with a sticker of 26400. nothing on it
Start adding those goodies and it adds up

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
Must be Canadian $.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Zero down is your problem. You are asking for a $40k loan with nothing on your end being put down. Change that to around $4k and you might see lower leasing rates.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Zero down is your problem. You are asking for a $40k loan with nothing on your end being put down. Change that to around $4k and you might see lower leasing rates.
Better yet, go buy a cheap Malibu for around 19000. pay for it it will be your's and your neighbors really wont care that you have a 40,000 dollar vehicle sitting in your drive that your going to have to give back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
bballr4567 said:
If your leasing you really should not be putting a lot of money up front. Generally I will only pay the tax and bank fee and that is it! If he had the 4k to put into the deal he should keep it and just take from it to make up the monthly lease payment. In a lease you will be out the up front money if the car is stolen or lost in an accident.

The biggest problem I see with the lease is the residual value of the car after 3 years. A Honda CRV has a 56% residual after the same time period and mileage. That would equate to an extra 5k in his pocket because the vehicle is holding its value.

To me he would have to negotiate the price of the vehicle hard, try a 2 year lease with less miles or see if you could get a 3yr lease with less miles to up the residual value.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Yes, he will be out that money but if he wants a good lease deal, he will have to do it. Itll probably drop the lease amount $75 a month or possibly even more.

·
Registered
432 Posts
RNOX said:
Isn't the canadian dollar almost par to the US dollar? $40,000 for a Chevy small SUV? Not for me
Almost @ par yes but that has nothing to do on dealer pricing between the States and Canada. When i was building and pricing mine i saw a huge spread on the price between GM.CA and GM.COM
In Canada it is VERY easy to pay $40,000 for a loaded SLT2 and IIRC i think the same truck in the states was only hitting $34-35k

·
Registered
977 Posts
Wow .. I can't believe the cost in Canada is so high. I would not pay $30,000 or more for a small SUV. Mine before a $5000 trade in with all taxes and fees was about $25000. I saw $5000 plus for taxes wow .. But you get socialized medicine

·
Registered
432 Posts
i just went and did a build and price on a 2010 at gm.ca and i got it up to $45k CAD
they dont have the 2011 on the B&P yet for some reason.
Maxxed a 2011 in the states to $41k USD

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
nemesis04 said:
If your leasing you really should not be putting a lot of money up front. Generally I will only pay the tax and bank fee and that is it! If he had the 4k to put into the deal he should keep it and just take from it to make up the monthly lease payment. In a lease you will be out the up front money if the car is stolen or lost in an accident.

The biggest problem I see with the lease is the residual value of the car after 3 years. A Honda CRV has a 56% residual after the same time period and mileage. That would equate to an extra 5k in his pocket because the vehicle is holding its value.

To me he would have to negotiate the price of the vehicle hard, try a 2 year lease with less miles or see if you could get a 3yr lease with less miles to up the residual value.
That's why they sell GAP insurance.Do not lease a vehicle without it...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts