GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Equinox just turned 100K and all is good. With the exception of the wiper motor recall, all services and recalls are current. I'm curious if anyone had purchased an aftermarket warranty for their SUV and what it cost. I filled out a few online quote forms and instead of a quote, I got multiple high pressure sales phone calls. Must exceeded $2500 for 48 months. All had $100 deductible. Of those a few would not allow me to change my own oil.

Any knowledge is appreciated.

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
My opinion of extended warranties is that if you feel a need to get one, then you are driving the wrong vehicle. IMHO

·
Registered
195 Posts
When I bought my 2015 Equinox 5 years ago, the F&I person tried to get me to buy an extended warranty. When I refused, the person literally said to me "I thought you were smarter than that...". I almost replied "Cancel the deal. I don't like your attitude and I'm going elsewhere." Instead I just replied "I trust the car will be fine. I do not want the extended warranty." Plus, I had been there for almost 3 hours, wanted the car, and just wanted to get out of there at that point.

Take the money you would spend on that warranty and put it aside for future repairs. The older vehicles get, the more repairs they will need. That $2500 would be a lot of repairs at a reputable independent shop.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for input. Yes $2500 saved towards a large issue is strong, however the timing chains will need replaced around 130K is my understanding. That alone is $2K at today's costs through dealership. If that was my only future concern I wouldn't worry. But if that AND a transmission issue, or PCM / ECM, etc.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Thanks for input. Yes $2500 saved towards a large issue is strong, however the timing chains will need replaced around 130K is my understanding. That alone is $2K at today's costs through dealership. If that was my only future concern I wouldn't worry. But if that AND a transmission issue, or PCM / ECM, etc.
I think this depends on how many miles you drive in a year, and your financial situation.

If you put on a lot of miles, this sounds like a good time to trade as long as everything is working.
You can get the most from your trade which is always a good thing.

When you put 2K or 3K into a transmission, you are more tied into keeping it.
At this point I wouldn't get a extended warranty.

The dealers that still have leftover 2019's are blowing them out at close to $5k now.
Your call.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was considering a 3rd party warranty. I called my normal mechanic and asked them what they thought. The answer is not to go 3rd party, they nickel and dime the shop to get out of paying their normal rate and part markup. If the warranty paid you after the repair it would be nice, but that's not how they operate. The shop advised me that only warranty worth buying is the GM warranty.
I shopped around, AAA, my credit union same type of payouts.
I get calls every week, they will not even tell me the name of the company, they just hang up. Not very reputable in my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts