GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost at 2 years in the Terrain, and I'm hitting a bit of a crossroad regarding vehicles.

I still sorta regret the whole "nah i'll spare the $2k and stick with FWD" if for nothing else than resale value. So im thinking of trading in for a new Terrain in Summit White which came out of course right AFTER i bought my Cyber Grey. I didn't care for the available white at the time, it was too creamy, but the Summit White has the POW factor that my 2003 Monte did and looks amazing with the black trim and tinted windows.

* this is my question in all the rambling of this post
Im thinking about getting a similarly optioned SLE2 again, just in AWD and white of course. Im hung up on Engine choice though. In FWD trim im impressed with the I4 but im wondering if the AWD will drag the I4 down or not or how much? Performance wise and mileage? Or not enough to really notice. Right now on my I4 FWD 2010 i am averaging 10.2 L/100km. Not stellar but much better than some other vehicles i have had.
* yup just that, lotsa rambling lol

Yes i know i would take a bit of a loss but i do have my 2004 Monte still hanging around for summer weekend use, and im really close to saying that's included in a trade since i really don't drive it anymore and could do without the extra insurance and car payment. (its done for payments in the spring).

The 'nox is also on my Radar but i never paid much attention to it in the past and it doesn't seem to option the same as the Terrain so to get the same options it seems to end up costing more than the $2000 GMC premium off base price.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Live is too short to compromise. If you are that unhappy with the FWD - trade it in.

Let me offer up an option. If traction is the issue, buy 4 snow tires. I did, and mine will stop better than the AWD, and its traction is close to the AWD in the Winter. Trust me, a friend has the 4/AWD, and we have done some pretty detailed comparisons. Oh - he is running All Season tires in to comparo, and I have the Michelin Latitude X-Ice snows.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Traction isn't a problem for me, i haven't had any issues yet with the FWD. AWD would just be a bonus.

I'm thinking more about end use resale value. i am already seeing more than that initial $2000 gap showing up on the used lots.

What do you all figure on the I4 pushing the AWD vs FWD question? Is the loss enough to notice?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've done a 100km road test in both a 2012 I4 AWD and V6 AWD.

What I found is that the I4 is okay in AWD, but still better with the FWD. Lighter, the FWD seems more peppy with the I4.

On the other hand, the V6 wont win any speed test. This V6 is quite slow, lack of torque is quite evident. But it handle better at passing speed. The V6 will let you tow more, if needed.

As for fuel economy, the V6 AWD drinks almost the same amount of gas than the I4 AWD. If you punch it, it will drink more. Just that tells me that the I4 is not enough in AWD.

The best fuel economy goes to the I4 FWD.

But if FWD was never a problem, why change? Just for resale value? I think you're in need of a problem just to change your current Terrain!!!!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I had a 2011 I4 AWD terrain. I now have a 2012 AWD V6 terrain.

the I4 seemed fine, just that I found i had to really push it to get it to get up and go..such as pulling on to freeway, or passing..and it was loud, when doing these things!...

I really like the V6. plenty of power for me...i dont have to push it hard to go..and its quiet.

I was getting 19-21 mpg on I4. Im getting 18-19 on the V6...so not alot there!

I have heard alot of people happy with their I4's...both AWD and FWD..

and Alot of people happy with FWD in the snow..

my last car was a HHR which was FWD..it was horrible in the snow!!!

before that was a buick rendezvois FWD..That handled great!!

So i guess it depends on the vehicle,and the tires...
I drive all day in my Terrain for work, so I went with the AWD to handle winter conditions..

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
If you think you can break even or come out a little ahead on the deal by cutting out the registration/insurance/maintenance for the second car...go for it. Having said that, I'm not a big fan of dealer trade-ins (always in favor of the dealer) but I can understand why people still do it. If it were me I would probably trade in the Terrain and sell the Monte Carlo privately..

·
Registered
468 Posts
Engine choice comes simply down to this.... Do you tow? The I4 and the V6 both run 10 seconds in the 0-60MPH so speed and taking off at a light is the same but the V6 uses more gas.

I have an I4 AWD for 86,000 miles now and I do not regret it at all, never once thought twice about it. I am also getting 23.8MPG 90% highway at speeds 80+

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
2010 I-4 engine must have been a great engine...

didnt experience that with my 2011...Maybe the I-4 with the pedal to the floor..engine screaming....V6 take off alot quieter and smoother..

so much happier with the V6....maybe if I had a bigger MPG difference between the 2..maybe just maybe would be satisfied with an I4.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had the Monte Carlo listed for sale for almost 2 years, give or take. There just isn't the market up here for it, im gonna try again in the spring and see if there is any more positive interest this year. Literally 100% of the people who have inquired have all said i can get a GTP for $5000 why do you want or think this is worth $10k. So they obviously do not know what a special edition is or think I'm stupid and am willing to sell a 2004 Model year 1 of 2883 car with under 50,000km for the same price as a car you cant swing a dead cat in the city without hitting one. Would i sell it for less than $10k? of course i would but im not gonna sell it for $5. BUT if trade in value makes up all or at least most of the guaranteed negative equity I'm sure to be up against, its something i would consider just to not have the 2nd vehicle.

If i go back to when i bought the Terrain spring 2010 i was trying to keep it under a certain price and for the options i thought i would really want and make use of the break point was staying with FWD, but i went in thinking i would love to have an AWD vehicle. But that was the cut i made to keep it under $34,000. And i am VERY unhappy with how dirty the Cyber Grey is ALL the time. i didn't think it would show dirt as bad but it is sooo much worse than i though. So obviously if i get a chance to pick up a Summit white AWD 2012 SLE-2 without the cargo pack. It is something I'll definitely have to consider. I'm also going to look at lease returns as well just in case. Never know what i might luck out and find, should i go ahead with this.

No Towing, i don't think a cargo area full of RC trucks counts lol so I'm sure the I4 will do just fine.

truckweb said:
But if FWD was never a problem, why change? Just for resale value? I think you're in need of a problem just to change your current Terrain!!!!
I dont know if i should take that as an insult or not. :lol:

wrusprod said:
2010 I-4 engine must have been a great engine...

didnt experience that with my 2011...Maybe the I-4 with the pedal to the floor..engine screaming....V6 take off alot quieter and smoother..

so much happier with the V6....maybe if I had a bigger MPG difference between the 2..maybe just maybe would be satisfied with an I4.
The 4 is noisy at high RPM i will agree with you on that, but really the only time i ever wind it up is pulling out onto the highway with a short run up. Other than that i drive it trying to get decent mileage.

FWD vs AWD in snow, totally subjective. There was one snowfall last year where everyone was getting stuck in the parking lot at work that wasn't driving a full size 4x4 pick up. and i mean everyone. But i didn't have any issues getting out. i chalk it up to knowing how to winter drive. Been doing it for 15 years. Done it with FWD AWD and RWD and never really had any issues. You can just idle though alot of crap :lol:

ramble ramble.
Priced out a 2012 SLE2 Summit White AWD I4 with the convenience pack as the only option and its cheaper than what i paid for my 2010 originally. Give me something to go off of anyways.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I think you answered your own question.

You have no problems with winter driving with the FWD..so you should be fine with FWD again.

I think you will notice a difference in power with the I4 FWD than with the AWD.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes and no. going back through the years i always told myself if AWD or 4x4 is available, get it. i have had it when available up until the Terrain.
Given the possibility of completely ridiculous winters up here there is no reason NOT to have it if its available to me.
Just because im ok driving FWD in snow doesn't mean i wouldn't welcome the extra 2 wheels pushing. lol

That's why I'm totally on the fence about this. Gotta give the Monte another swing to sell, because if it does I am certainly not going to trade the terrain in for the color alone.

I realize some of this back and forth is a bit contradictory but that just shows where im at with this right now. The unfortunate thing is once i get an idea in my head i usually have a way of making it happen, whether it makes good or bad financial sense lol

And just to reinforce the point, i have done WAY stupider crap when it comes to vehicles. The 2004 Dale Jr Monte purchase was an impulse buy. I had a mint 2003 Monte LS at the time and i was already getting parts together to Turbo the 3400. Decided since it was 6 months away from being paid off i would go and find myself a winter vehicle, like a truck or a Jeep or something. First lot i went to to look at Jeeps and i was shocked at how expensive they actually were (didnt do any internet snooping) and kinda thought "ehhh maybe i'll go used" so i high tailed it out of the new section to the used area of the lot. Saw the JR at the end of the row, put a deposit on it and drove it home the next day after trading the 2003 in for it... so much for a winter vehicle. it had 21,000km on it when i bought it and it has 43,000km on it now 4.5 years later after being in storage most of the time when the weather has been crap and in winter of course.

I R SMRT lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get the V6 AWD..it's always better to have it then not to have it and regret it later on down the road...I'm pretty new to these forums
but I don't think I've read any V6 AWD owners write that they wish they would have gotten the I4 FWD but I bet I can find some
I4 FWD owners who wish they would have opted for the V6 AWD..just my 02 cents
I also own a 2012 V6 Camaro and I'm always regretting I didn't get the SS V8..

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unless i can swing a major deal i dont think this will happen. every trade in estimator i have seem is only showing $20k on the high side for mt 2010. Will have to talk to a dealer though to see for sure. But if thats it im surely not willing to take that much negative equity.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Cameron said:
Almost at 2 years in the Terrain, and I'm hitting a bit of a crossroad regarding vehicles.

I still sorta regret the whole "nah i'll spare the $2k and stick with FWD" if for nothing else than resale value.
Just did a check with Kelly Blue Book, and a 2010 FWD LTZ vs AWD shows up at $900 less trade-in value. This is compared to the $1800 more that it costs. I don't see the resale argument as holding water. (50% return on investment)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heh well blue book also tells me my 19,000km old 2010 i paid $33000 for is only worth $19-20k.

Im talking on the lots. They are selling 2010 AWD models for almost as much as they were new with 30,000-50,000 km or more in some cases, depending on the lot. Might be the lack of used models driving the price up.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Cameron said:
Heh well blue book also tells me my 19,000km old 2010 i paid $33000 for is only worth $19-20k.

Im talking on the lots. They are selling 2010 AWD models for almost as much as they were new with 30,000-50,000 km or more in some cases, depending on the lot. Might be the lack of used models driving the price up.
Yeah but dealers want to make a few K$ on the sale. They won't give you what you paid for it - trust me !

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh i know. im just hoping to be somewhat close to what i still owe lol. i would like to use the Monte TIV as a down payment and not a stop gap to avoid a boatload of negative equity.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if i did my math right i should owe right around $24k right now depending on how they actually calculate out the principal paid. So it is within bargaining range i suppose.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
cottonseed said:
Engine choice comes simply down to this....The I4 and the V6 both run 10 seconds in the 0-60MPH so speed and taking off at a light is the same.
Don't think so 'Tim' - you can't argue with HP, the V6 leads the I4 by a full second to 60mph.
No contest...

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have driven both the I4 and V6 with awd and I found the I4 underpowered.
The V6 it is a smooth and quite motor the I4 sounds like my mothers sewing machine to me.
Fuel economy is about the same between the two.
As stated by sunman63 you don't find posts from V6 owners saying that I should have gotten the I4.
This is just my opinion I may be wrong.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts