GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...so went by my local Bojangles today and decided to buy a 1/2 gallon of their sweet tea to bring home and put in the fridge...I am in the south after all and we it's vital to our diets ;) Anyway, I put it in passenger seat and pull off and every so often I hear the dings that the seatbelt isn't fastened. I rechecked mine several times and I was buckled up. No lights on my dash and every so often I'm getting the seatbelt chimes as I'm riding down the road. I finally make it home and look up above my rearview mirror and noticed my passenger side airbag is "On" and the red seat belt sign is illuminated up there! The 1/2 gallon of sweet tea was heavy enough for my car to think I had a passenger! At least if I was in an accident on my way home, the tea would've still been safe!

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I dont recall if the 2015s had the updated Passenger Presence System or still used weight/sensors.

The newer onces use Capacitance.
Thats why a lightweight electronic device- like some dvd players, cell phones, etc. will make it ding.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speaking of sweet tea. My brother lives in Florida. Panhandle. He loves to drink sweet tea.
He recently ended up in the ER because of insulin levels being in the 600s and an A1C of 11.

We told him- he needed to cut out sweet tea..... and anything with
Corn, wheat, rice- grains/carbohydrates that turn to sugars...
Last week he said his morning fasting level was 100. (also taking meds)
Its only been 1 month. Well see what his A1C is in 2 months.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

back to the PPS

PPS Operation

The Passenger Presence System is used to monitor the type of occupant that is sitting in the front passenger seat and communicates the status to the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module. The inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module uses this information to determine whether to enable or suppress the deployment of the passenger instrument panel air bag. The Passenger Presence Module consists of an electronic control module, a pressure sensor mat in the seat, a harness, and passenger air bag on/off indicators.

The Passenger Presence Module transmits and receives a low-level electric field. The measured capacitance value of this field is used to determine the type of occupant sitting in the front passenger seat. If the measured capacitance is less than a calibrated value, the passenger instrument panel air bag is disabled. If the measured capacitance is greater than a calibrated value, the passenger instrument panel air bag is enabled.

Previous PPS systems had the pressure sensor located on top of the seat cushion. On the current PPS system, the pressure sensor is located under the seat cushion foam.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
…interesting…never had an issue with anything else setting it off before…I put the 1/2 gallon of tea at the very back of the seat, so guessing that’s where the sensor is…

Have no idea what those medical #’s mean, but glad it’s getting better!

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I dont know where the sensor is. I have had my vehicle ding at me when I placed a mini laptop.
---------------------------------------
as for the diabetes-- its affecting so many people nowadays.

for the insulin of 600

a google question---
How dangerous is 600 blood sugar?
If your blood sugar level tops 600 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), or 33.3 millimoles per liter (mmol/L), the condition is called diabetic hyperosmolar syndrome. Severely high blood sugar turns your blood thick and syrupy

as for A1C-- this is a reading of the sugar levels in your body over a 3 MONTH period...
Ive known people who knew they were going to get an A1C blood draw, and they ate 'healthy' for a week or 2.... till I told them-- yeah- this is a 3 month average. you trying to skew the test wont work

normal is 5.6 and under.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My 2011 Acadia would alarm if I had an iPad sitting on the passenger seat. No kidding.

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts