GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my Terrian SLT1, on Monday the 26th. I found it at a local dealership and was immediately attracted to it. It is moca steel, all wheel drive, v6, power rear gate and trailer package. We put a down stroke on it immediately. Now I am having thoughts of canceling it and ordering one with GPS. Question is it that necessary? Or can I just add a garmin? My wife loves it but she is electrically challenged. haha.

What to do.

Bob

·
Registered
277 Posts
I ordered my SLT-1 with the Nav and love everything about it. I like having expanded audio, weather, configurations, back up camera, etc. on the large screen. I also use the Nav quite a bit. However, I have survived not having it in a few other personal vehicles and got by quite well with a garmin/etc. ready to hook up as needed. It's really a personal/financial preference.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I really would have liked it, but in the great white north it is a $3,400 upgrade and for what it is, I just could not justify the extra cost. I have a Tom Tom that I use right now and it serves me just fine. The only time I really use the navigation is when I go to a city that I am not familiar with, and that does not happen very often. So to me even if I upgrade my portbale navigation a couple time during the time I own the terrain it will still be far less than the installed system. The hard rdrive is a nice feature but with the plug in for the Ipod it really does not add much for me either.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If you only go to/from work and once in a while go to Aunt Gracies house for Thanksgiving, I wouldn't concider it. But if you like playing with a new toy or go out of town once in a while and would like to know where the local Burger King is, then by all means get it.....if it doesn't take food away from the family.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been using GPS since 1996 when I got a simpe plotter with my new boat. I am on my 3rd Lowrance hand held mapping system. Have used an older TomTom and now have a Sony. For road travel directions and finding stores, landmarks etc, I use the Sony, For simple electronic mapping I revert back to the Lowrance H2O Pro hand held GPS. (Car, Boat, motorcycle, 4 wheeler, hiking, you name it.) It has never failed me and an upgrade is a simple download away. I can not justify the permanent GPS when there are so many other portables available. My wife prefers mapping services and prints the directions.(google, MapQuest, etc.)

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you live in a new/unfamiliar city (or travel a lot), then I could definitely see the value in a GPS. I just spent some time in Paris, and if I were to live there, I fundamentally wouldn't drive if I didn't have GPS. That said, I've lived in my current city my whole life, so GPS is pretty much a waste. I do need directions, but a quick check on Google maps, and if needed, google maps on the blackberry and I'm good.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am considering this option as well. To be frank, I am having a difficult time swallowing the $2k+ price tag. Initially I thought that the upgraded Pioneer sound system was tied to this upgrade. Now that I see it isn't I am really struggling to justify why I would spend this kind of money when my Garmin that literally costs a tenth of this does the same thing.

I'm wondering if there are after-market systems available for people like you and I who may want to upgrade farther down the road.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all. We have decided to buy another garmin and use it in the Terrian. We did take the car out for another test drive today. I am very impressed with it.

Bob

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The main reason I like the indash GPS is the size. If I could buy an aftermarket unit the same size for the same price I'd jump at it. There just isn't one that big. The one on my Harley is only 2-1/2" wide so I have to rely on the voice commands. Would love a big one on it.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
SnowItch said:
to add to what GaryD said, the other issue with the GPS is that it is totally integrated with the vehicle. As I said in another thread, I'm had my Nox for over 6 months, and I'm still finding ways that it is integrated that impress me. The system alerted me (real time) to an accident this weekend that saved my over 4 hours on the road. We were traveling to a crew regatta in Delaware and were alerted to a traffic accident ahead of us. The system gave us an option of an alternate route that took us right around the accident. My daughter was riding with her boyfriends family (who have a Garmin with traffic), and they didn't get the alert until until 20 minutes later and they were already stuck in the traffic backup (we thought they were behind us and attempts to call them failed).

In my case, I've gone all out and subscribed to the XM weather and traffic and I absolutely love how everything is integrates with the NAV and DIC.

My stance is that if you can afford it, go for it. You will not regret the decision.[/color]
Our sentiments exactly.
Having everything integrated instead of piecemeal is truly advantageous in terms of functionality, reliability and ergonomics.
JMHO.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just out of the blue, and I don't mean to step on toes, but how many of you really need a GPS? and do you really get lost driving in your home town day in and day out???
See I have family members and friends who own the aftermarket units, but they drive in the same city day in and day out.
I have never seen anyone get lost without a gps.

I don't own one, nor do I plan on it, and paying the extra money for the factory unit does not justify.
My two cents.

·
Registered
277 Posts
2010LTZ--Good question. Do I absolutely need it...of course not. Kind of like the computer I'm typing on right now. Do I absolutely have to have it? No, but it makes my life easier, more productive, and even fun on occasion. As I posted earler, I've had aftermarket GPS units in cars before, and I like the kind of info I can get from it. Not just how to get where I'm going, but ETA, traffic issues, alternate routes, etc. In a sense, I've grown used to having that available, like having it available, and I guess at this point, want it available. And no, I don't just drive in the same city day after day. Business takes me on the road and I really do use it a lot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My wife and I live in the "country", and we take little weekender trips all the time. I don't need it to keep from getting lost (although it is handy for that) but we like the convenience of finding restaurants, gas stations, etc. t when in new territory.
And if there is backed up traffic our Garmin will give us alternate routes around it, I am not very good at waiting.
The nav system for the Terrain looks awesome but $2100 was a little too much for me, my $100 Garmin works fine for me.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I don't NEED it either, but like SnowItch said, my wife gets lost comming back from the 7-11 so now I can program any address for her and she should be able to find her way.......I hope.
I have a GPS on my bike because I go to a lot of bike rallys mostly in Canada. This year I can't make up my mind on either Winnipeg or St Catherines, Ont. Each place has pros and cons.
I do love it out on the road. One year my speedo broke so I used the GPS for reference, also my speedo doesn't have metric calabrations, but the GPS can be programed for mph or kph.
Like others have said...if you can afford it and would like to have it ....buy it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
We've never had GPS in our vehicles, but we're getting an LTZ Nox with the Navigation installed. It would be nice if the navigation system was less expensive, because my wife and I were on opposite sides of the fence in the beginning, and it would have made for an easier decision. Ultimately, I love gadgets and electronics and I think my wife will love it, too. I think she'll get the most use out of the larger screen for the backing camera, moreso than the Navigation system. I guess time will tell exactly how much we'll use the other features.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Your wife will like the POI "S

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
GPS beats having to search mapquest or google maps then print out and staple then explain the directions for the wife, the kids or myself.
We'll probably easily save the cost of the GPS in printer paper and ink over the time we own the vehicle LOL!

It's come in handy many times, as do the POI's (points of interest).
We probably use it 3-5 times a week, and most of it is finding houses in the subdivisions with all the twisty turning roads!

It will undoubtedly come in handy with all of the construction that comes like clockwork every summer as well LOL!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I don't know what happened to my last post, half of it didn't post.

I said your wife will like the "STORES WITH SALES IN YOUR AREA" screen. LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Since we stumbled upon our car during the "Cash for Clunkers" frenzy, we never had to make the hard choices. The dealer only had one and we wanted it. It came with the Nav and we subscribed to XM Nav Traffic and weather. I've been hooked on GPS for over a decade. I flew in the Navy and, over water, we never knew where we were within several nautical miles. I even have it on my bicycle so I probably would have ordered it anyhow. Having it integrated has a lot of advantages. The audio you are listening to is automatically muted so you can hear the voice directions. When the car reaches a low fuel state, the nav immediately shows the nearest gas stations. I only tried that once and was informed by my wife that that was never to happen again. I don't need it either but I'm sure glad I have it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
GARYD said:
I don't know what happened to my last post, half of it didn't post.

I said your wife will like the "STORES WITH SALES IN YOUR AREA" screen. LOL
Uh oh. Is there some way to disable THAT part of the navigation system? :eek: LOL

1 - 20 of 28 Posts