GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will try to explain this the best I can so please bare with me.

I have a Samsung Focus Windows Mobile phone from AT&T and my wife has a iPhone 4s. My wife is the primary driver of the 2012 Equinox so we paired up her iPhone 4s and it seems to work fine.

One day decided to pair my Samsung Focus Windows Mobile phone up to the Equinox While my wife was out of town. I was driving around when she sent me a text message and to my shock a voice from the Equinox told me that I had an incoming text message! It proceeded to read the text message to me and then ask me if i wanted to reply back. So I said "yes" and I replied back to my wife's text message just be speaking. It picked up me reply perfectly with no mistakes and ask me if I wanted to send it. I said "yes" and sure enough it sent my text message just by saying it.

I had no idea that it the Equinox had this feature! However when my wife came back and I sent her a text message, nothing happened. She got the text message on her phone but the Equinox didn't tell her that she had an incoming text message. I then realized that there must be something about my phone which allowed the Equinox to read back my text messages. You would think that the iPhone 4s being a newer phone would have a similar feature, but nothing I try seems to work.

Does anyone have any information about this feature? Is it a feature unique to the Samsung Focus and/or Windows Mobile? Is it a feature to the Equinox that only works on specific phones?

Any information would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Maybe it just depends on the phone? Like, maybe your phone automatically turns that feature "on" whenever it is connected to something with bluetooth. I wonder if, with the Iphone, if you send her a text message...and assuming the car doesn't tell her she got it...but ask the car the "check messages" or something like that? Would that pull the texts from her phone? As in, maybe her phone will only do that if it's prompted to?

Try it out and let me know.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My iPhone 4s can send texts using voice control and will read back texts. I haven't tried that feature using Bluetooth connected to the Equinox though. May have to give it a try.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Black Granite LTZ said:
My iPhone 4s can send texts using voice control and will read back texts. I haven't tried that feature using Bluetooth connected to the Equinox though. May have to give it a try.
Please do. Let us know how it goes. I'd be interested in knowing. I still have a iPhone 3GS, but will probably eventually upgrade. (who knows though, there might be a 5GS by then, at their rate)

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I have a iphone 4S and so far i have not seen this work over bluetooth. When you touch the voiceover mic, the bluetooth thinks your making a call and kinda freaks out. Otherwise the phone works awesome on bluetooth and when plugged into usb, ipod,streaming pandora and rhapsody work great. I didn't renew my xm because of it.

If you find another way to use voiceover text on bluetooth let us know. Fyi when u try to use Siri it acts just as strange as doing text, Nox thinks your trying to make a call. I understand why it doesn't work because the phone is a separate software and the Nox is not designed for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is anyone else using a Samsung Focus Windows Phone with their Equinox? Having your incoming text messages read out to you over through you car speakers via Bluetooth is awesome! I still don't know if this is a feature of the phone, Windows Mobile OS, the Equinox, or Onstar? It's bumming out my wife that this feature works using old phone buy doesn't on her "state of the art, latest greatest" iPhone 4S. You would think if it was a feature of your phone, surely the iPhone 4S would be it. Also I tried using the iPhone 3G and nothing. My wife is seriously thinking that of taking her iPhone 4S back to AT&T and getting a Samsung Windows Phone. The only problem with that is there is no Onstar app for the Windows Mobile OS. It would really be nice if I could get her phone to read out her text messages over bluetooth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I've found something that might be causing my text messages to be play over the bluetooth in the Equinox. In the Settings of my phone is a setting called Speech. Currently it is set to "Enable speech recognition over the network" and "Play audio confirmations ON". "Read aloud incoming text messages" is set to "Bluetooth only". I have the option to set it to "Off, Always on, Bluetooth and headsets, Bluetooth only, and Wired headset only". This must be how my phone is able to playback my text messages through the Equinox, but it's not using the voice that my phone has. It is using the voice from the Equinox.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Samsung Focus as well. This is a feature of the Windows Phone operating system. It can be used with headsets as well. It is a really neat way to send and receive text messages. Sometime when you aren't driving, hold your windows button, it will pop up a voice commands menu. Press the "?" button and it will give you some more information about different commands you can give.

Then, when you are back in your car, you can hit the bluetooth button... say voice... wait for the signal and say a command! It's quite handy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts