GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Terrrain V6 audio/video recording of engine starting/idling/revving

MPEG-4 movie format, 110 MBytes total file size, 1 minute 16 seconds duration, 1920 x 1080 resolution.

Link:

http://elitecybersolutions.com/Terrain_V6_Running.MP4[/color]

With Windows operating systems you can right click and "save target as" and point to wherever on your computer.
With an Apple, press "Control" on your keyboard then click your mouse and "Download linked file as" and point to wherever on your computer.
Also, you can just click the link and wait for it to load in your browser.
It may take a while depending on your internet connection speed.
If you have a download manager, well obviously you know what to do.
;)
You may require a plug in if using Windows Media Player.
Try "freecodecs.com" or something like that.
Older computers/video/sound cards may require letting it play once or twice to buffer it fully and not get any freezing, stuttering or weird playback.

Wife started Terrain while I filmed in the garage with the garage door open for venting.

She revved it twice to around 4000RPM.
Video is dark, should have left the house door open, but this was more for listening to, not looking at, the engine.

I moved the camera around within the engine compartment to pick up all I could.
There is a distinct sound like a "tat-tat-tat-tat" at certain points in the clip, most notably from 0:12 minutes to 0:23 minutes and 1:00 to 1:16 minutes (end of clip).
It's most noticeable when idling and the frequency is somewhere around 5 to 10 Hz (wild guess).

Whatever it is, be it the VVT (Variable Valve Timing), which I doubt, or the fuel injectors since the fuel is at high pressure and direct injected (more likely) I'm sure it's not a problem.
If it is, we'll know soon enough I'm sure, but any engine running is music to my ears!
We have 3800kM on it now and it has not been serviced since we got it late September, 2009.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Terrrain V6 audio/video recording of engine starting/idling/revving, 110MB,

SnowItch said:
hence, the nickname...

Good job. Thanks for sharing (I still don't hear it, but I believe you that its there...)
LOL, thanks SnowItch.
Due to time constraints, I didn't get a chance to edit the clip at all.
I'll see if I can run it through a good software package like Sony Vegas Pro or something and rip the audio only from the 12 to 23 second marks.
Maybe a little filtering/enhancing will make it more obvious as well.
I'm not a video/audio expert by any stretch of the imagination, and I'm pretty sure I'm not hearing things, although the wife has no clue what I'm talking about and kinda shakes her head and says "whatever, is it OK to drive?" LOL!

·
Registered
698 Posts
gearhead said:
Terrrain V6 audio/video recording of engine starting/idling/revving

MPEG-4 movie format, 110 MBytes total file size, 1 minute 16 seconds duration, 1920 x 1080 resolution.
Thanks for taking the time to film and post the video. Though I haven't opened the hood on my Terrain as yet, I do note that the engine (if mine is like yours) sounds much harsher/rougher with the hood open. Outside the vehicle at idle, I can hear a light tapping/ticking sound but it sure doesn't sound like that.

They must have done a lot of work to sound proof the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Re: Terrrain V6 audio/video recording of engine starting/idling/revving, 110MB,

Interestingly it doesn't sound too different than the I4 in my 'Nox.

Also, don't they deaden sound in the cabin via the radio system, similar to how Bose does with their headphones?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Most of the DOHC engines I've encountered are cam on bucket and will produce some valve train noise just as a 'nature of the beast'. The ticking I'm hearing in the video doesn't sound like valve lash noise, just injectors...this is completely normal and wayyyyy less dramatic than many cars. Our CX-7 was direct injected and it's injectors were WAY noisier.

Here's what you COULD have to listen to on a daily basis. Be thankful our injectors aren't this loud.

Injector Tick Honda FiT

·
Registered
10,104 Posts
blakegibbs14 said:
i have a 2011 gmc terrain slt 2 and it dos not idling right when i am parked. what should i do or look at?
Bring it to your dealer - it is under warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts