GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to lower the seat? The driver side has pwr, the passenger seat sits higher and tall people are almost head to ceiling??

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
Sburngasser said:
Is there a way to lower the seat? The driver side has pwr, the passenger seat sits higher and tall people are almost head to ceiling??
Nope - unless you either have a shop remove some seat-cushion padding, or re-weld the frame.

Sorry...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ordered a 2012 GMC Terrain AWD dr SLT-2 and tried to get the dealer to have factory install a Power 8 way passenger seat with power lumbar, much the same as the drivers seat. They tell me that cannot happen as this model does not come with such a seat because there is no power to that seat. I say hogwash, the passenger seat is heated so it must have power in that area. My question is, why can't the factor install such a seat in this unit.
Perhaps Tricia can help me here.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
awd said:
I ordered a 2012 GMC Terrain AWD dr SLT-2 and tried to get the dealer to have factory install a Power 8 way passenger seat with power lumbar, much the same as the drivers seat. They tell me that cannot happen as this model does not come with such a seat because there is no power to that seat. I say hogwash, the passenger seat is heated so it must have power in that area. My question is, why can't the factor install such a seat in this unit.
Simple..the factory just does not offer that as a standard..or optional feature. That's all. They are only set up to produce what they advertise...not customize for the customer.
For a custom job you might be able to order factory parts through the dealer's parts department(for a price)..then take to a custom shop for adaption to the passenger seat..or look for aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Take the seat out cut the legs off install 2 hydrulic jacks and you have a "power seat"
GM buys wire harness that doesn't include wires for power passenger seat so one doesn't get power passenger seat...

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
awd said:
Unfortuantely I am not showing this as an option for the passenger seat. I apologize for the inconvenience. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
978 Posts
::)

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
IceMan said:
...must be first new car..and :confused:... :facepalm:
Or, could be that his last car was a Rolls Royce. You can have those just about any way that you want - so I'm told.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
awd said:
Trish: Where can I contact you directly re the passenger seat.

AWD
You can send me a private message by clicking on my name next to my post. However, I would recommend that you continue to work with your local dealer for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I had checked out an '09 Equinox (previous generation) prior to buying my '11. The '09 (1LT) had a manual driver's seat, but it included controls to adjust the height of the seat - which I thought was pretty cool. I had never before seen a manual seat with a height adjustment.

GM should have made this a standard feature on the current generation Equinox passenger seat. No power needed.

My '11 also has a manual driver's seat. It's what I wanted due to the height difference between my wife and I (yeah, I know - I could've paid another $10,000 for the LTZ and got the programmable seat ... no, thanks!). But my seat also has power controls to move it up and down.

Now (gasp) I'm actually gonna give GM some credit here because I was shocked (and pleasantly surprised) to discover this feature! This was a really good idea. Even though the seat is manual forward and back, it's still powered up and down.

GOOD JOB GM !!!!

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
Colt Hero said:
I had never before seen a manual seat with a height adjustment.
VWs used to have a slick lever for raising and lowering seats. Not sure if they still have it, but it was easy to operate.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just think it's weird, that the drivers seat sits lower than passenger seat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Contacted GM directly and they told me that such a seat just does not excist for this model. However, they are always listening to their customers and would consider whatever the customer wants. This is not my first new car by a long shot. I just thought an option as this for this model should be at least offered to the customer.
AWD

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
awd said:
Contacted GM directly and they told me that such a seat just does not excist for this model. However, they are always listening to their customers and would consider whatever the customer wants. This is not my first new car by a long shot. I just thought an option as this for this model should be at least offered to the customer.
AWD
With this being "not my first new car" then you would know that some things come standard on vehicles some things are optional,and some you just can't get
Dealer offers a test drive so one can feel the vehicle and ask questions before purchase...If the vehicle doesn't fit your needs don't buy it then complain later...

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Sburngasser said:
I just think it's weird, that the drivers seat sits lower than passenger seat.
I'm sitting here laughing right now because when we first got our '11 Equinox in January, my wife and I were rarely in it together (mostly just one day a weekend for a short trip to go out to eat). I was driving the car almost exclusively the first few weeks to 'baseline' its behavior. So when we went on these short trips together she would always make sure she drove. But then I would look over at her and laugh because she always seemed to be sitting so much lower than me (she's only 5' tall). It wasn't until about the 5th or 6th weekend drive that I realized the salespeople had set the driver's seat at its lowest height. Now the two seats are at about the same height.

So I would look at it this way: the passenger seat is at the "standard height" while the driver's seat has the ability to drop down lower for taller drivers. But maybe GM's "standard height" calculation for the passenger seat has erred on the high side a bit...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts