GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, i tried to find answer here but no luck so i thought i'd ask.

I just got my sle 4 days ago and noticed that my car rolls back on my driveway while trans is in "drive". (facing uphill)
I called the dealer and couldn't give me a definite answer. They claim its normal in newer models for it roll on grade.

The grade is at most 10degrees maybe 5. It drops 1" per 8ft. I only have a 22 foot drive way...

Any thoughts?

Leo

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
That may be normal - not sure, but to hold it in place, if you tap your brake, then remove your foot from the brake, it should hold the car from rolling backwards. I've never tried it, but that is the way it is described in the manual.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Most of the new cars, vans I bought in the last 15 years or so act this way. All of them were GM products.
Just touch the brake a little and movement will stop. Older trannys must have kept a little more contact at idleTo combat rollback. Maybe it's a way to reduce transmission wear.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
I suspect that with EPA Gas Mileage requirements, idle speeds are set so low that cars will no longer creep as fast at idle as "the good 'ole days".

·
Registered
107 Posts
I noticed a slight roll as well, but having driven a standard for the last 15 years, have nothing to compare it to.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I thought the terrain had the Hill Assist system that supposedly stops the car from rolling back... I could swear I read it in the manual.. I'll check tonight.

·
Registered
698 Posts
oracle said:
I thought the terrain had the Hill Assist system that supposedly stops the car from rolling back... I could swear I read it in the manual.. I'll check tonight.
Bingo. It will hold for 5 seconds on steeper grades.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I noticed if you press the brake all the way while facing up hill, the brake will hold for a few seconds if you take your foot off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Manual is quite cryptic about this. It says that it only works while in "D" pointed uphill, after the brake has been pressed. It also talks about this Only working for 2 seconds, to assist while your foot moves from the brake to the accelerator pedal! That seems to be the way it works on my unit, much to my dismay! The dealer said it has something to due with meeting EPA standards. Something about a lower Idle RPM.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Its a combination of low idle and a loose TQ converter in the trans.

Completely normal in pretty much any vehicle. Even my G8 GT will roll back on some hills around my area that the Terrain doesnt.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Flagelpater said:
It says that it only works while in "D" pointed uphill, after the brake has been pressed. It also talks about this Only working for 2 seconds, to assist while your foot moves from the brake to the accelerator pedal! That seems to be the way it works on my unit, much to my dismay!
Mine works that way too, it holds for a few seconds and I'm very happy with the feature. Not sure why this should cause any dismay, as it's only designed to hold it still while your foot moves to the gas pedal. How long were you expecting it to hold?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts