GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is my first posting. I love my 2011 Terrain SLE, just bought it before Christmas. I live in Manitoba Canada and am concerned over an issue of my Terrain shaking like crazy after going over a snow packed road?

Here is what happens, and it has occured twice now.

I can be travelling along the highway at 100 KMP and the ride is very smooth, I come across a snow storm that leaves about 1 inch of powered snow on the highway, once I have driven through the snow and get back on clean highways the Terrain shakes very badly at 100 KMP and I have to slow down.

I will get to a car wash and wash away the snow from the wheels and front end and the problem is gone??

I have owned vehicles for 35 years and lived in snow conditions forever and have never seen this before?
Is anyone else having the same problem? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
First of all a little more info would be helpful...I4 or V6? FWD or AWD? It could have something to do with the AWD transaxel (assuming you have AWD) since it only happens after you've been on a slippery surface. In any case, I would take it to the dealership and get it checked out..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
snow build up in the wheels/brakes......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
cottonseed said:
As do I. Just had this yesterday in my daily driver, drove into work slow with a lot of snow around and after work at normal highway speeds it shook like crazy. It was snow/ice buildup on the inside of wheel(s) that makes them un-balanced. Either clean the stuff out or wait for melt down and it goes away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
This happened to me too with my Grand Am. Parked it in my garage for a few hours until the snow/ice melted and everything was fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,555 Posts
Maybe next year, a coat of wax on the inside surface of the wheels in the Fall might prevent this. Or, maybe a spray of WD40 inside the wheel - but not on the brake pads, might be helpful. Just a thought...

I have had this happen before on other cars, and it is scary - snow build-up can really knock off the wheel balance significantly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Same here - got snow packed in one of winter wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
I've had it happen a few times.
I keep a thin strip of wood(cedar shim for installing doors & windows) in the pocket on my drivers door, if I start getting vibration at highway speeds I can pull over and clean out the wheels with it.

I notice it happens more on my Terrain then it ever did on past vehicles but I figured that is because this Terrain is the first vehicle I've had with 18s, my past 1/4 tons all had 15s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
GMCdriver said:
I notice it happens more on my Terrain then it ever did on past vehicles but I figured that is because this Terrain is the first vehicle I've had with 18s, my past 1/4 tons all had 15s.
Hhmm shorter sidewall on tire maybe puts the rim closer to the slop and more likely to pick it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
I had this happen when I first bought my Terrain. Its AWD. After a big snow storm. It was knocking and shaking. At first it sounded like a rod knock.
checked under the car and I had ice buildup around the drive shaft...cleaned it up and was good to go. I also have had the issue with the snow and Ice on the wheels, really puts things off balance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
Terra-Nox said:
Hhmm shorter sidewall on tire maybe puts the rim closer to the slop and more likely to pick it up.
I was thinking that the extra space in the larger wheel allows it to carry more snow & ice(more weight) combined with the weight of the accumulated snow & ice is being carried further away from the center point of the wheel causing the unbalanced centrifigal force to be that much more intense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
I've had this happen on our old Sedan with snow getting caught between the mud flaps and wheel wells.

My M-in-Law complains about her Ford Fusion shaking on the highway, in her words:
"as though a big semi-truck just went past her at 75 MPH".

This happens after she hits a slick spot of rain, snow or ice, no noticeable build up of snow anywhere?
The dealership attributed this to the "Stability Control" and said "it's normal"?
Sigh.

I wonder if the Terrain's stability control is kicking in?
Anyone know how the Stabiltrak system works or is triggered?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,555 Posts
gearhead said:
I wonder if the Terrain's stability control is kicking in?
Anyone know how the Stabiltrak system works or is triggered?
I think most of the comments are saying that the vibration is caused by having an imbalance of snow stuck to the inner wheel surface - nothing more, and no fault of the stability control system.

How does it work... See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_stability_control
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. The Terrain is going into the dealership Monday to be looked at. Going to get them to check out the tranny as well, terrible up and down shifting.

Anyways, if it is snow build up I will seriously think of getting rid of this as I see this as a safety concern?

Thanks again,

Rod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
RIT333 said:
I think most of the comments are saying that the vibration is caused by having an imbalance of snow stuck to the inner wheel surface - nothing more, and no fault of the stability control system.

How does it work... See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_stability_control
Thanks for the link, RIT333.
I'd mentioned the snow build up and shaking from personal experience in other cars in my post, however, my M-in-Law's situation seemed worthy of mention.
When it happens to her, she panics, she is retired and has never experienced this before with other cars and states with the Ford Fusion, it happens quite a bit.

Just throwing out some ideas for discussion, maybe not all cases are from snow packing/build up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Bigrod40 said:
Thanks everyone for your input. The Terrain is going into the dealership Monday to be looked at. Going to get them to check out the tranny as well, terrible up and down shifting.

Anyways, if it is snow build up I will seriously think of getting rid of this as I see this as a safety concern?

Thanks again,

Rod
lol, wow...dude it happens in almost all cars dependant of weather conditions......unless of course you get some small steelies with close diameter to the rotors so no snow builds up....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,555 Posts
Bigrod40 said:
Anyways, if it is snow build up I will seriously think of getting rid of this as I see this as a safety concern?
Seems like you are a bit overreacting. One solution would be to "ride the brakes" and then the wheels will get hot, and you can melt the build-up of snow in the wheels. LOL

I really think that it will not happen that often, and knowing the solution makes it an easy fix. Possibly the coat of wax or silicone spray inside the wheel will help. Or maybe some ski-wax ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
gar187er said:
lol, wow...dude it happens in almost all cars dependant of weather conditions......unless of course you get some small steelies with close diameter to the rotors so no snow builds up....
Well dude, I think your wrong if it happens in almost all cars, I have driven cars and trucks for 35 years, all in Thompson Manitoba where 6 feet of snow and -52 wind chills are normal winters (check internet if you do not believe me), and I have never experienced this sort of thing before.

Anyways thanks for everyones input
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,555 Posts
Bigrod40 said:
Well dude, I think your wrong if it happens in almost all cars, I have driven cars and trucks for 35 years, all in Thompson Manitoba where 6 feet of snow and -52 wind chills are normal winters (check internet if you do not believe me), and I have never experienced this sort of thing before.

Anyways thanks for everyones input
Wind chill has nothing at all to do with snow build up. And possibly it happened because the snow melted inside, and formed ice, and that made the wheel out of balance. Cold snow might be less likely to build up inside the wheel, and that may be why you never experienced it in your 35 years of driving.

But, don't let me stop you from selling your car. Just trying to save you some losses from depreciation.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top