GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Terrain,6 cyl...........Has anyone put a canoe on the roof racks,I have a 16 ft cedar strip Mattawa,I have never had a vehicle with factory racks so I am not sure about them........I have always used foam blocks......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
I know that someone fit a thule bike rack on the stock rails and Im almost positive that Thule makes a canoe rack as well. Might have to contact them directly to see if they have started making for the 2010 'Nox/Terrain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bballr4567 said:
I know that someone fit a thule bike rack on the stock rails and Im almost positive that Thule makes a canoe rack as well. Might have to contact them directly to see if they have started making for the 2010 'Nox/Terrain.
Thanks


Carver said:

And thanks,I will have to do some more looking.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just put some Yakima landing pads on my Terrain.......had to have them drill a couple holes to mount the "Landing pads"

The cross bars and the feet/towers come off when not in use but the landing pads stay on.

I'm not totally thrilled about the final look ,but I did not like the idea of my 16 ft cedar strip canoe just sitting on the factory cross bars as they are only about 3 ft apart

Just got back from a 400 mile ride,some along the 401 doing about 120 kph(70 mph)and my boat was rock solid..

If any one is interested I can post more pics.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
That front tie down looks pretty scary to me.

Looks like its held down pretty good otherwise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bballr4567 said:
That front tie down looks pretty scary to me.

Looks like its held down pretty good otherwise.

Please explain the front tie down part........

If you are talking about the way the hook is not hooked, it is because I put the strap around the cross bar then through the eye ,as the hook does not have a large enough opening for the cross bar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
I would bet that you could have fabricated a bracket to mount the landing pads onto where the factory rails attach to the roof. if you pull the factory rails off there are studs coming up from the rain gutter. How sturdy are the landing pads on the front of the roof...I thought about doing this but the roof is pretty thin and flimsy for the most part...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dodell said:
I would bet that you could have fabricated a bracket to mount the landing pads onto where the factory rails attach to the roof. if you pull the factory rails off there are studs coming up from the rain gutter. How sturdy are the landing pads on the front of the roof...I thought about doing this but the roof is pretty thin and flimsy for the most part...

I kind of agree on mounting in the factory rail Gutters,but typical me I was running out of time,so I just went to Rackattack and had them installed.

About the welded in nuts, I suspect that they are only where the factory rails would be attached.Not further forward where I wanted the extra length,for a long boat,and I did not want to start pulling trim without having an idea as how they were attached.

Where the Landing Pads are mounted the roof is quite sturdy,as there is a fold (Gutter) right beside,if you were to mount them in closer to the centre of the roof its gets pretty "flimsy"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Just take it nice and slow. A gust of wind will make your day and you'll be done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
justletmepost said:
What and how is the strap hooked to under the front of the hood?

Here are a couple pics.. .hopefully they will explain the front strap(wife made it from webbing,could use an old seat belt).......if you would like a better pic ....let me know


Before I get slammed from one of you pessimists.........I realize that if I tighten up the front strap too much I may bend /twist the hood,and if my roof racks let go or another strap breaks there will be a lot of stress on the front strap and hood................but I would rather have to fix the hood instead of loosing my self made cedar strip boat or have it fly into the windshield of the person behind me .
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
It works for me!

People who have never towed a canoe on top of a vehicle will not understand that it does not take a ton of tightening from back to front straps. It just removes the possibility of awkward teetering while in travel.

Gotta love those who attempt hauling a mattress on top of their vehicle and only strap in the middle of the mattress..

Either the mattress is found on the side of the road or its folded straight up in the front of the strap...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
That is how I thought you had the front strap. Pretty secure looking to me.

Id watch the chrome part though. Maybe a microfiber towel there in the future to keep the plastic from scratching.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
dietz4ibanez said:
It works for me!

People who have never towed a canoe on top of a vehicle will not understand that it does not take a ton of tightening from back to front straps. It just removes the possibility of awkward teetering while in travel.

Gotta love those who attempt hauling a mattress on top of their vehicle and only strap in the middle of the mattress..

Either the mattress is found on the side of the road or its folded straight up in the front of the strap...
;D
I had to do an emergency lane change in December to miss a mattress on 1-70. When the guy passed us I told my wife that won't be on for long. 10 minutes later it appeared in the roadway behind a semi :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
brandonpdx said:
What did you do with the antenna?


still there .............just have to lift a bit higher......it tucks up in the boat and I still get radio and phone reception.....some guys would put put shark fine type antenna's on
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top