GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Terrain Recalls Completed: NAV System, Power Steering Sleeve Insp & Defroster

34K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  SobeTerrain 
#1 ·
We e-mailed our Sales Rep early yesterday morning about the Terrain/Equinox Defroster issue.
He replied via e-mail from home and he called us when he got into the Dealership around 10am.
We dropped off the vehicle around 2pm yesterday for above mentioned recalls.

We had only mentioned the Defrost issue to our Sales Rep.
The other items checked/upgraded were the Navigation System and Power Steering (no further details, but I'll ask next time we talk to Sales Rep.).

Picked up the Terrain today at 1pm.
We were extremely pleased with the prompt service.
The Service Dept. had wanted us to drop it off on Monday.
We explained that we'd already planned an out-of-town trip for Sunday so they pulled some strings and got it done before our trip!!!
Excellent, thank you GMC Team!!!
8)

No Infotainment system settings were disturbed. i.e. no Favourite Station Settings on the Radio or HDD Flash Drive were affected.
Nothing seemed physically disturbed on the Infotainment Center.

The only thing we noticed was the Climate Control was turned "OFF".
The total time to perform all the recall issues were probably less than a couple of hours.
Once again, we are pleased to have it serviced so promptly and we'll report our findings after our first "long" trip with the entire Family.

From invoice:

A) 09221-V2129 PROGRAM RADIO MODULE .4 -- DONE BY MASS RADIO (I'm guessing NAV System Software Update)

B) 09334 V2178 -- INSPECT POWER STEERING LINE FOR SLEEVE; V2175 POWER STEERING LINE SLEEVE REMOVAL .5
CAUSE: RECALL 09334
V2178 V2178 09334 .2 Inspect Power Sterring Line for Sleeve - No further Action Req'd
9090 CAMPAIN. 09334-V2175. INSPECT & REMOVE POWER STRGLINE SLEEVES

C) RECALL 09298 (I'm guessing Defroster Operation Issue)
CAUSE: 09298
V2194 RADIO CONTROL ASSEMBLY REPROGRAM BY MASSCOMP'S MOBILE UNIT
THIS RECALL NEEDS TO BE PERFORMED BY MASS RADIO

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Recalls Completed: NAV System, Power Steering Sleeve Insp & Defroster

I had to add this thread.

Last night as I was finishing posting this thread, the wife asked why I was on this forum so often.
I explained to her that I wouldn't have known about any of the campaign items that were taken care of had it not been for forums such as these.

Here's a quick thanks from our Family to the Members and Staff here for all of the useful information and hard work that goes into keeping a forum database clean and functional.
We've learned a lot in a short time and hopefully will be here for a long time to share our experiences as well.

The gearhead Family!

#3 ·

SnowItch said:
Does Mrs.....Gearhead know what you are calling her in public???
You should only know what your wife calls you in public. :p

#4 ·

gearhead said:
Here's a quick thanks from our Family to the Members and Staff here for all of the useful information and hard work that goes into keeping a forum database clean and functional.
We've learned a lot in a short time and hopefully will be here for a long time to share our experiences as well.

The gearhead Family!
What goes around comes around. I am sure in due time, you will be adding information to the site that will help other members...So thanks in advance.

;D

#5 ·

SnowItch said:
Does Mrs.....Gearhead know what you are calling her in public???
No, I have not given her the login to this account...yet.
Hopefully this thread gets buried by the time she gets online!
;)
Better yet, she can register her own nick!

NY_Joe said:
You should only know what your wife calls you in public. :p
Please, do share, NY_Joe!!!
BTW, I always wondered what a SnowItch is!
Is it contagious, can it like...be transmitted via the internet???
J/K!!!

#6 ·

SnowItch said:
It's what you get when you get snow down your back - a Snow Itch

Not contagious - just collllddddd.
Ahhh, yes!
Nasty cold.
I'm sure we'll be getting our fair share of snow itch[/color][/color] tumbling down the ski slopes next week.
;)

#7 ·

SnowItch said:
Ahhh.... Isn't that nice, you'll be thinking of me on your vacation <g>
Haha!
I will take a family poll to see how many have heard the term "SnowItch" before.
You never know, we may catch someone yelling it on video!

#8 ·

Being from Georgia snow feels" itchy" to SnowItch. We are desensitized up here in Canada.

Or is it Sno-Witch Check video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX5C2MrpBbo

Attachments

#9 ·

Roesterman said:
Being from Georgia snow feels" itchy" to SnowItch. We are desensitized up here in Canada.

Or is it Sno-Witch Check video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX5C2MrpBbo
Good stuff, Roesterman!
8)

Any way, the update on the NAV system became apparent today.
While going into Windsor, ON, on an ExpressWay, the main exits into the city showed up on the split screen view.
We had the display set to 1/2 the screen was the XM radio info, the other 1/2 the NAV.
We switched to full screen NAV mode.
The left 1/2 became the current position, the right 1/2 became the next 3 upcoming exits with the distance to them.
We have never noticed this before, so it must a result of the update by as in the first post in this thread:

A) 09221-V2129 PROGRAM RADIO MODULE .4 -- DONE BY MASS RADIO (I'm guessing NAV System Software Update)[/color]

#10 ·

SnowItch said:
Maybe not. I've been getting this split screen with the exits for a while (without the upgrade). I only see it when I'm on certain roads - mostly freeways.
SnowItch, the wife and I have taken it into the city a few times via the same route and have never noticed that feature on the display before.
The RECALL 09298 was for the defroster issue (I just googled it, for what it's worth, to double check) and I'm sure the Service Rep mentioned the other Radio upgrade was for the NAV system.
I didn't get any details, but I'll try to get more specifics on what the A) 09221-V2129 PROGRAM RADIO MODULE .4 -- DONE BY MASS RADIO (I'm guessing NAV System Software Update)[/color][/color] actually is.
Either way, it's a nice feature.

#11 ·

SnowItch said:
Interesting. According to the recall notice, my vehicle falls into the range, but I already have that feature.

Hmmmm....
Remember now, the recall was only for the defroster.

The power steering sleeve check was not a recall but a campaign item.

The NAV system upgrade was probably an enhancement.
We took home the vehicle in late Sept./09, so there may have been a NAV update available since then and your vehicle may already have had the update at the factory?

Just guessing...

#12 ·

So I was on the phone with GM Canada about the "Windshield Washer Warning Warning not working/existing" and the woman tell me that there are 5 outstanding recalls for my Terrain. I had actually gotten a letter in the mail this morning telling me about the rear defroster one and called the dealership to make the apt for the 10th. Anyway - I call back the dealership and the rep says "Holy Cow! There was 1 recall there when I looked this morning - now there are 4 more".

1) Well known defroster, etc issue
2) Fuel Tank Vent Jumper (needs to order parts)
3) Transmission Calibrate
4) Navigation System Upgrade
5) Power Steering Line Sleve

I had heard of #1, #4 but have not heard of the others?

#13 ·

sjhanlon said:
So I was on the phone with GM Canada about the "Windshield Washer Warning Warning not working/existing" and the woman tell me that there are 5 outstanding recalls for my Terrain. I had actually gotten a letter in the mail this morning telling me about the rear defroster one and called the dealership to make the apt for the 10th. Anyway - I call back the dealership and the rep says "Holy Cow! There was 1 recall there when I looked this morning - now there are 4 more".

You have the 4-banger, right? I haven't heard of any transmission programming upgrades for the 6 yet.

#14 ·

Terrain said:
You have the 4-banger, right? I haven't heard of any transmission programming upgrades for the 6 yet.
Nope - V6, SLT-2

#15 ·

sjhanlon said:

[/color]

Thanks sjhanlon!

Now we'll have to arrange for items 2 & 3 to be completed.

#16 ·

sjhanlon said:
Anyway - I call back the dealership and the rep says "Holy Cow! There was 1 recall there when I looked this morning - now there are 4 more".

My local dealer doesn't see anything. The dealer I bought it from are working with me to find the issue and recall/TSB#. If you have any info, can you post it.

Thanks.
Joe

#17 ·

NY_Joe said:
My local dealer doesn't see anything. The dealer I bought it from are working with me to find the issue and recall/TSB#. If you have any info, can you post it.

Thanks.
Joe
If you call GM Customer Service they have the numbers/details (I called GM Canada and she told me they should have it in the US as well).

Cheers

#18 ·

sjhanlon said:
If you call GM Customer Service they have the numbers/details (I called GM Canada and she told me they should have it in the US as well).

Cheers
I called. What a waste of 45 minutes. They would only look up by VIn and nothing came up. They saw the Fuel Tank Vent Jumper but said it did not fall under my VIN. I explained how I smell gas everyday and my garage stinks. I think I know what I am smelling. They refused to do anyhting b.c my VIn wasn;t associated.

I spoke to a supervisor and they said that there was a Service BUlliten (not technical) #09333 for Evaporative Emissions Diagnostic. I could take to my dealer and they will look at it. They won't pay for rental until it is diagnosed as a warranty issue. 600 miles....it better be a warranty issue. So I am going to the deale rby my house who is incompetent as the day is long. That is Thursday.

I called the dealer I bought from and they said through my VIN Bulliten #10091 came up but she has no idea what it is. Waiting to find Service Manager. Is there anywhere I can look to find what these are?

#19 ·

sjhanlon said:

Any update?

#20 ·

NY_Joe said:
Any update?
Sorry for the delay - it was not a great experience at the dealership yesterday.

So the Terrain was schedule to have the 5 recalls taken care of, tires rotated and oil change. Dropped it off at 7:30am. I told them I had to get my son at Daycare for 5pm. 4:30pm and I still had not recevied a call. So I called them and they said they were having problems performing one of the recall items (Nav System Update). On the invoice it says "Service Update for Inventory & Cust Vehicles with Navigation. System Update - Expires w/ Base Warr. Was unable to perform Recall #09221A Due to PC Module Down. Need to re-book for another appt. Anyway - they said they would send someone to get me. When I got to the dealer they said I owed $117.41. I said "That's a pretty expensive oil change.. no?". She said - Oh - they also did the semi-annual maintenace package ($59.00). I told her I didn't even have the truck 2 months yet?? None the less - I paid and went to leave. When I got out to the truck and started it the Low Tire Pressure light came on. It said left rear tire was low. I went back in and they said to bring it back in to the lube garage. That left rear tire was fine. But the front right was low. They rotated the tires but never re-programmed the TPMS on each tire to show the new location after rotation. I said this "$59.00 Semi-Annual" check was bull crap. I had a paper showing some guy checking off each box saying everything was perfect and all 4 tires had perfect pressure and correctly set TPMS. Finally they admitted they never actually checked the tires nor did they program the TPMS on each tire. They just rotated them. Also, the Windshield wash was empty so they could check the "No windshield wash warning" again. The truck still has no windshield wash even though the same sheet that said ""Windshield Wash Top Up" was checked off. Same answer for no low warning was "Terrain does not come with it". They offered a free oil change.... anyway - just had to vent about that. Back to the recall items:

Here is what it says:

1) Heat and Defrost Inop - Con #434047. Replaced computer module (Mass electronics). V2181-0.0
2) P/S Line Sleeve - 09334 - Service update for inventory and cust vehicles. 9090 Tech Bulliten. V2178
3)Trans Cal Update - Service update - Transmission Cal Update - ECM Code 1118F. TCM#181D2 - Reprogramm ECM
4) Nav Update - Listed above at beginning of post
5) EVAP EMM DIAG - Part Ordered - Install Evap Jumper Hose & Program ECM - Part 20941961 - Hose 031200

#21 ·

Thanks sjhanlon.
We're going to get a an oilchange, the trans reprogram and fuel evap jumper done shortly.
Will post back on our experience as well.

#22 ·

Wow sjhanlon, what a load of bull from the dealer. Not only did they perform a service you didn't ask for (every dealership I've ever been to, ~ever~, has you sign off on the service they're going to perform first), but they did a poor quality job and essentially lied. I can see a 3rd party dealer or repair shop missing the TPMS, but that should never happen at a GM dealership. Mental note *sign off on any work that you want them to do first*.

You can always write a quick letter to GM as well. It's this sort of thing that they really have to buck up on if they're going to substantially change their image.

#23 ·
Recall fuel injection

Due to this forum I went to see my dealer and told them about the recall for the rear defoster and they told me there was 2 recall,
rear defroster and inspection for fumes from the injections
They call me to be at the service thuesday the 16 for the recall.

#24 ·

Here's our invoice (I can't believe we actually filed something in the right place...hahaha).
As stated in the OP (original post) I believe the 1st item was for the defroster issue and the 3rd was to upgrade the NAV, something like that anyway.

EDIT: just noticed--
09221 is for NAV update.
09298 states
"heating and windshield defrost inoperative -- replace computer module[/color]"
So there you have it, they replace the computer module in 0.2 hours, which doesn't sound like they take much out at all to me.

Attachments

#26 ·

I havn't done the nav recall yet.

gearhead said:
Remember now, the recall was only for the defroster.

The power steering sleeve check was not a recall but a campaign item.

The NAV system upgrade was probably an enhancement.
We took home the vehicle in late Sept./09, so there may have been a NAV cars update available since then and your vehicle may already tires have had the update at the factory?

Just guessing...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.