GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the monthly update from Onstar stating that I should take the Terrain in for an oil change. Same update states that oil life is at about 50%. What's up? Do we believe the Oil Life Monitor or do we go back to the old idea that the oil should be changed every 3000 miles? If so, why go to the trouble of putting the monitor in the system in the first place?
I realize that when to change the oil is up to the owner but isn't GM recommending that we use the data from the owner's manual which states that the oil change should take place when the "Change Oil Soon" light comes on or every year, whichever is sooner?

·
Registered
321 Posts
aqcs60 said:
Got the monthly update from Onstar stating that I should take the Terrain in for an oil change. Same update states that oil life is at about 50%. What's up? Do we believe the Oil Life Monitor or do we go back to the old idea that the oil should be changed every 3000 miles? If so, why go to the trouble of putting the monitor in the system in the first place?
I realize that when to change the oil is up to the owner but isn't GM recommending that we use the data from the owner's manual which states that the oil change should take place when the "Change Oil Soon" light comes on or every year, whichever is sooner?
Does the Oil Life Monitoring system in the car confirm the 50% reported by Onstar? How many miles are on your odometer, or how many miles since your last change? If this is not your first oil change, was the Oil Life Monitor reset at last change?

·
Registered
635 Posts
aqcs60 said:
I just got mine for September and there is no mention of recommending oil change and i am down to 37% remaining oil life.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Oil Life Monitor in the Terrain shows 50% and I have just returned from 400 mile trip and the odometer reads 6700+ and this will be the first oil change. The oil on the dipstick looks good so I'm going to wait for a while to service it. :-\

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a footnote from last post, on that 400 mile trip I got no where the advertised mpg. The Terrain doesn't hold a candle to the 07 Altima 2.5S that I traded in when it comes to mpg and miles per tank of gas. The continous downshifting on the slightest incline is really a problem. The rpm will jump to abt 3600 and the engine sounds like it is going to come out of the vehicle. :mad:

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
I thought that my 4 cyl had "excessive" downshifting when I first drove it, but after 7K miles, that has gone away as the engine broke in. However, I have changed the oil twice already. Maybe you should consider an oil change. 6-7K on the original oil sounds a bit too long - even though the oil-life monitor is telling you differently. Just a thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts