GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all on you tube there many videos on offroad driving for many different kind of vehicles but i couldnt find one for gmc terrain !!
Is terrain is not strong enough ?! Why there is no such videos ?.
Regards

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
Probably simply because the Terrain/Equinox isn't designed and produced as an off road vehicle.

IceMan

·
Registered
355 Posts
IceMan said:
Probably simply because the Terrain/Equinox isn't designed and produced as an off road vehicle.

IceMan
+2 on this one- it's a glorified minivan- made for road trips and highway travel!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
+3 on it being an overglorified mini van.. but would be nice customizations to be worthy offroad..

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Most sports cars have better ground clearance.

There is a video I posted on this forum a while back though that shows an equinox off-road comparison.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I remember that vid, didn't make it very far either and it wasn't really off-road IMHO, just a bad dirt road with ruts and rocks. A true 4x4 vehicle would have no problem traversing it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree it's not for serious off roading. But considering that about 90% of "off-road" trucks are almost never driven off road this is fine. I bought my Terrain for serious ON-ROAD conditions. Besides, I've noticed that when roads get icy it's often the high rideing 4*4s in the ditch.
With good tires the Terrain handles practically anything I'll be driving on (curbs and fields included).
This winter I plan on doing a vid about what the Terrain can do (when the wife isn't looking ;) ).

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Yes the intent here is not to go off road as this really is not a true four wheel drive. This is a FWD vehicle with AWD option for better grip in the winter or wet.

They took a platform that was originally made for a car used it to make a SUV based much like a Minivan and created the CUV. Most cars in this class are not what I would call tail rated. Even some that are I would not recommend taking to Moab.

If you go off road in most CUV models you will damage something pretty fast.

This is why I think if GMC did a Jeep like model that had true off road ability it would really be a hit. Right now Jeep is about it and not everyone wants a Jeep. GM could really build a better Jeep since it has no retro traditions they have to stick too

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is why I think if GMC did a Jeep like model that had true off road ability it would really be a hit. Right now Jeep is about it and not everyone wants a Jeep. GM could really build a better Jeep since it has no retro traditions they have to stick too
Great point. Besides, most of the current Jeeps have wandered so far from the original Bantum concept they are increasingly Dodge crossovers with slotted grills.
Imagine this Terrain drivetrain with locker diffs, three more inches clearance, and a thousand pounds less weight. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Rhal said:
Great point. Besides, most of the current Jeeps have wandered so far from the original Bantum concept they are increasingly Dodge crossovers with slotted grills.
Imagine this Terrain drivetrain with locker diffs, three more inches clearance, and a thousand pounds less weight. :thumb:
The Idea I saw them considering was a smaller Jeep like vehicle with roll cage that was light and carried a Ecotec Turbo engine. It has an advanced suspension that enabled it to not just go off road but even climb rocks.
This was the original concept they considered for Hummer but they died before they got it. I expect it may not be as extreme but they could build a small vehicle with removable panels that is easy to modify. The key is light and small. The Turbo engine has a lot of torque from 2000-5300 RPM.

Keep the weight distributed right and keep the center of gravity low.

·
Registered
341 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts