GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Terrain, NOX and SRX. Throttle cable or are they all "drive-by-wire"?

14K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  Davek 
#1 ·
Anyone had a chance to take the cover off and have a look?
Not that it matters either way to me, I trust todays electronics and the myriad of redundant safety checks that are put into place (disregarding Toyota's recent fiasco of course).
Just curious.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Dave25 said:
they are drive by wire like all other vehicles.

GM is not Toyota, they would recall BEFORE people die, not hide the problem and deny it until they get sued by dead customers' families like Toyota.
Thanks Dave25.
I was searching after I started this topic and ran across some good info for anyone else who may be interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_by_wire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_throttle_control

Here's a good pic of a motor actuator (I think 36 is the motor which connects to the gears (48, 50 (probably a belt?), 52), bushings (40, 12) and shafts (38 and ? (#off page) to control the throttle valve) for a throttle body:

One statement I find particularly interesting:
ETC provides only a very limited benefit in areas such as air-fuel ratio control, exhaust emissions and fuel consumption reduction, working in concert with other technologies such as gasoline direct injection.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_throttle_control, third paragraph down).

Doesn't make much sense that where the air comes in has little bearing on air-fuel ratio control.
I guess the air flow must also be controlled closer to the combustion chambers, especially in a direct injection setup such as the 3.0L in our Terrain.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Dave25 said:
they are drive by wire like all other vehicles.

GM is not Toyota, they would recall BEFORE people die, not hide the problem and deny it until they get sued by dead customers' families like Toyota.[/color]
I wonder why Toyota had so many problems with what should have been a simple fix.
First off, the floor mats, no big deal.
The part that baffles me is the problem with the electronics software and hardware.
Surely a software program can anticipate and stop a runaway condition as can a hardware sensor.
I realize that can be harder to debug.
Did Toyota ever fess up to what the underlying problem/s was/were and I'm not talking floor mats?

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Dave25 said:
Last I heard Toyota claimed that a spacer was needed for the throttle pedal. They also "proved" that many of the cases against them were money grabs. The floor mat claim is so ridiculous it should be insulting to all of their customers. If Gm had pulled that they would currently be out of business.
Thanks Dave25.
I wonder what a spacer has to do with not being able to kill the engine during a runaway condition?
Time for a lot more reading I guess!
LOL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.