GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how everyone feels about the nav system is in the terrain? I currently have a 07 Yukon Denali with nav and have been less than impressed. Wondering if GM has made this one better? My major complaint being that the Denali nav was not capable of recalculating while driving if you missed a turn. It would make you go back to pick up your original route. Also it did not always suggest the fastest route; it would take you on all types of back roads. I checked the setting in the nav many, many times. Lastly if you buy a terrain with NO Nav does Pioneer or any other Aftermarket Company make a kit to install one?

Thanks for your time,
Donny

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would recomend to not get the car with the navigation system.Buy a garmin or tom tom. That way if the navigation system breaks its cheaper and easier to replace.
Not to mention as technology gets better its easier to upgrade.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
155 Posts
my biggest complaint regarding the in-dash nav is not being able to enter addresses on the move (must be stopped foot on the brake) however, to speak to your point of re-routing, i've found that the in-dash nav in our terrain re-routes faster than our garmin.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
In my opinion, I would hope you can't input addresses as you drive....that's as bad as texting while driving. Way to many people are getting killed by people texting while driving. That and actually talking on a cell phone
are my pet peeves. A few years ago when I said I'd like to see a national ban on cell phones in cars....everyone laughed at me and said it will never happen, but as the weeks go buy, I really think I will see a national ban before I die. There are already some places where they are banned ...not just hands free ones.

I have a Garmin(which I concider the best mfg) on my bike and I have a car adapter for it. The only draw back is the size ..... it's only a 2.4" screen so I would have to use the voice directions. I have not found an aftermarket unit as big as the Terrains. %" is the biggest I've seen so far.
Wolf does have a point about having to repair it. The Terrains unit can be updated just as easily as any aftermarket unit. I've updated my 5 year old bike unit twice since I've had it with no problems.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just a thought, but couldn't a person sitting in the passenger seat enter an address? As for texting and driving or entering an address in one while driving I completely agree with you. I am amazed every day at what I see I the road.

·
Registered
48 Posts
dogger37 said:
I was wondering how everyone feels about the nav system is in the terrain? I currently have a 07 Yukon Denali with nav and have been less than impressed. Wondering if GM has made this one better? My major complaint being that the Denali nav was not capable of recalculating while driving if you missed a turn. It would make you go back to pick up your original route. Also it did not always suggest the fastest route; it would take you on all types of back roads. I checked the setting in the nav many, many times. Lastly if you buy a terrain with NO Nav does Pioneer or any other Aftermarket Company make a kit to install one?

Hi. I recomend the I dash nav anyday over after market add on. It's more then the nav it's a vechike experience witht the radio xm phone etc.. The nav is better then your Denali. Even my car wash guy who sees porches, Mercedes and BMW all day stated the other day about the clarity of the screen and how much nicer it was!

Persoanlly I line it better then the unit in my old hummer h3. I also had the Tom Tom and magellean. They were ok but you can't compare it to the built in on the terrain. Oh and yes it auto corrects when u pass by an instruction.

Donny

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think the Navigation system in my Equinox is every bit as good as (or better than) any portable system I've ever used. I'm still keeping my portable for when I travel for work, but I'm not disappointed at all with what is in my car.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I wish I had it on my bike, life would be so much better.

·
Registered
118 Posts
SnowItch said:
Just making SobeTerrain's message easier to read. I agree. It really is a superior NAV system (and may I point out the people telling you not to get it, don't have it - so they are giving you uninformed information).
The uninformed here, I did my research and besides the bigger screen I decided the extra money could be saved by keeping my portable gps which cost less to replace if something new comes out. Also if the gps system goes out it is much cheaper to replace. True you get the hard drive but its small enough where I do not consider it even worth while. I have usb keys that are bigger. The gps may recaculate a little faster but I have never had a problem with my garmin recalculating if I miss a turn.

I ask that you go out and a find a terrain or nox with a nav system and test drive yourself to help make a informed decision.

I am not making a uninformed decision. I even test drove a terrain with the nav. I just didnt see dropping the extra money for it. The nav was not worth it in my eyes. It was nice and had alot of buttons to play with but in the end it helps you get from point a to point b and my garmin does that just fine. As far as the music well I have a usb key that I can play my music off of.

The nav adds about 1-2 grand to the price of the car. I can buy 1 portable gps a year for the next 10 years and still come out ahead.
I also looked at the nav systems put in cars a few years back and saw how technolgy has increased and how the navs were out of date. I can only assume its going to keep getting better.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I would add for prospective Canadian buyers that might look at this thread that the navigation system is a $3,350 option here and coverage 'may' be severely limited outside metropolitan areas. Just something to watch out for.

·
Registered
52 Posts
tbox302 said:
my biggest complaint regarding the in-dash nav is not being able to enter addresses on the move (must be stopped foot on the brake) however, to speak to your point of re-routing, i've found that the in-dash nav in our terrain re-routes faster than our garmin.
For my 2006 Dodge Charger, I was able to find a cracked version of the NAV software (on thePriateBay) that allowed in-motion changes to be made. MAN it's convenient, especially when there is someone sitting next to you to do it for you.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Snowitch thanks calling me a liar in plain site,

I did test drive it. I simply didnt find it worth the money.
You do thats great. If i go to the park in my terrain I usually dont sit in my car and watch a movie.
This is just me. The dvd does not add real value for me and I see what the weather is by looking out the window.

Some people like these options thats great. They are Just not for me. This is one big item in the car that if it burns out after warranty would cost alot to replace or bring down resale value if it breaks.

So I state again, Test drive one think over all the options and find out if its right for you.

Snoitch will tell you its great.

I am personally against it. Neither one of is wrong we just disagree. Imagine that..

Well Snowitch is wrong about me test driving the car but I am sure he will disagree with that as well

·
Registered
48 Posts
NHOJWOLFE said:
Snowitch thanks calling me a liar in plain site,

I did test drive it. I simply didnt find it worth the money.
You do thats great. If i go to the park in my terrain I usually dont sit in my car and watch a movie.
This is just me. The dvd does not add real value for me and I see what the weather is by looking out the window.

Some people like these options thats great. They are Just not for me. This is one big item in the car that if it burns out after warranty would cost alot to replace or bring down resale value if it breaks.

OMG. To much back and fourth here. Why ask questions if you k ow what you want! Let's please keep the foru
fr what it was intented for and stop with all the conversations that don't mean anything.

So I state again, Test drive one think over all the options and find out if its right for you.

Snoitch will tell you its great.

I am personally against it. Neither one of is wrong we just disagree. Imagine that..

Well Snowitch is wrong about me test driving the car but I am sure he will disagree with that as well

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
It's all personal preference. I consider power windows and door locks as being rediculous, but some consider them manditory. It's really what you want and can afford. I also concidered using my Garmin in the car...it works, but has drawbacks. I will probably not use the GPS very much because I know where I'm going 90% of the time. It's mainly for my wife who does get lost very easy. I do not drive the car on vacation......I only ride my bike for vacations....it's a lot more fun then being couped up in an air conditioned cage. JMHO
Another item I find absolute worthless unless you have kids is the rear seat entertainment system(which is on our Terrain). Our 24 year old came to town for Easter.....he enjoyed watching a movie as we drove to the inlaws house. That is probably going to be the only time it will be used.
I consider all these things as a better chance to resell the car....when the time comes.
Bottom line is nobody is right and nobody is wrong.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes the Nav system is more expensive, than the handheld, but it does make it easier, and with the Traffic an d weather, and the HDD for Music, it does have some cool benifits, but you are paying like 2100 for it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the great information! Sounds as though GM has made improvements over the system that is in my Denali. I think that I will probably order my Terrain with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts