GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Which motor did you get or will get for your Terrain? 4 or 6 cylinder??

• Total voters
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went with the I4. So far I think that motor does a terrific job with a vehicle that size. I was concerned that it may be slow on pulling out or uphill, but I think it does well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Drove the I-4 for 6000+ miles Vegas-NY-Seattle- Vegas. Mileage avg. 26.4 mpg. Recently bought my 2013 Denali with the V-6, local mileage 16.9 avg . so implies at least 25 mpg on highway with a lot more of safety power. Think the V-6 is the only way to go!

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
vegasjim said:
Drove the I-4 for 6000+ miles Vegas-NY-Seattle- Vegas. Mileage avg. 26.4 mpg. Recently bought my 2013 Denali with the V-6, local mileage 16.9 avg . so implies at least 25 mpg on highway with a lot more of safety power. Think the V-6 is the only way to go!
Good luck extrapolating from 16.9 city to 25 highway. Sounds a bit optimistic, but let us know how you do.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've had GM V6's since the mid 80's. 2.8L, 3.5L,3.8L thru 4.3L. Absolutely trouble-free. All of them. My '12 Terrain with the 4 has been trouble-free, right at 10,000 miles. No oil usage, no roughness, no complaints. I am using non-top tier fuel with a bottle of Techron thrown in every couple of tanksful. I'm using Dexos-spec oil also. Any towing and hauling I do is done with my V6 Wrangler. ;D

·
Registered
37 Posts
RIT33, my statement is not scientific but rather my past auto experiences with previous cars I've owned. Checking back on my records it seems the difference between freeway driving and local street driving ranges from a 5 to a 9 mpg difference. By the way, at each fill-up I record the amount of fuel taken, the fuel price and the miles traveled for all my vehicles for the past 20 yrs or so.

·
Registered
24 Posts
yeahh the 3.6L DOHC is a punch little cammed motor get it.. it will impress you, quick off the line and get pretty good MPGs too i love my V6 Terrain

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have a very difficult time believing ??? the mileage stated here with 2.4L & the 3.6. Vs the US and Canadian "EPA" test results but............ The next Terrain will be a V6 anyways. For the extra snort when stepping on the throttle and trailering. Plus being able to add a catch can to the PCV system.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I love the I4 in my 2012 Nox, its the DI Flex Fuel E85 engine.

Which means I can make a large percentage of fuel at home much like a moonshine still and blend it into the gas and the engine will run on it. They use E85 down in S America, you will get less mileage but at least you could be in a position should events say gasoline went through the roof price wise the Eco engine won't explode. But for work commute here in Alaska the 4 cylinder puts out a MASSIVE amount of cabin heat, and quickly. I have a dead 2005 Aztek, blown head gasket, and being a diesel/auto mechanic for over 40 years including being a GM line mechanic the V6 is a difficult engine to work on, nearly impossible to access the rear spark plugs on that 3.4 in the Aztek, you have to remove upper mounts and roll the engine forward.

I have horsepower in my Silverado, its the 8.1 Vortec, but it just gulps fuel like a parched horse in the desert.

If I were a prepper I might say the I4 DI Eco engine would be a good choice short of a pure non electronic fueled diesel.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Silverado6x6

So, with the E85 engine, you would be able to mix in a blend of bio-fuel ? Have you tried it ?

If I had the e85 engine, I think I would be very hesitant to do it for fear of not having a pure enough bio-fuel to not plug up some small openings in the fuel system.

Comments ?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I maintain a fleet of heavy equipment and concrete mixers in Alaska, many mix their diesel fuels in the summer from fry grease to filtered used engine oil. As long as it gets past say for a figure a 10 micron filter I see no problem, and that figure I believe is rather small even for hydraulics. I use 15 micron filters up here for my fuel and hydraulics.
I did some research several years ago about the legalities and applications of making your own methanol, the methods to remove moisture, how much to blend in, the difference in mileage and most important part what kinds of engines can be made to run on it.

There are websites and forums on this very subject and easily found on the web, and was a deciding factor of the 4 cylinder Flex Fuel versus the larger V6. I think a lot of people are under estimating the real potential of this engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 v6 fwd, I have driven a 2014 i4 fwd and the extra power is well worth it. In the i4 I had to beat the hell out of it to get and sort of acceleration :banghead:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Re:

I do alot of driving for work so I chose the I-4 due to better gas mileage, sure the v6 would've been nice and the look of the dual exhaust tops would've been an added bonus. A cpl of my buddies are mechanics at GM and told me horror stories of the v6, so that steered me away from the v6 even more. I don't find it sluggish, only time u notice it lacking a little is on ramps on the highway

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Re:

Horror stories of the V6?? Sure you're not mixed up with the 4 cylinder? If you'll read through this forum, there are many, many more complaints of the 4 cylinder vs V6??

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Re:

Chas said:
Horror stories of the V6?? Sure you're not mixed up with the 4 cylinder? If you'll read through this forum, there are many, many more complaints of the 4 cylinder vs V6??
Early 3.6s were having problems before they started using it in the Equinox. I think it was while it was used by Caddy and the Traverse/Acadia.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I test drove the 4 off the lot pulled out turned around went back and grabbed a 6. I couldn't push the skinny pedal hard enough for the 4 to get out of its own way. The 6 was needed for sure

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had my Terrain for a year now (leased April 2014). I did a lot of on-line research and most of the so-called car gurus dissed the I-4 for being grossly underpowered. I have not found that to be the case. The V6 was smoother but I am very happy with my I4 performance and mileage (22 town driving, 34 highway, 26 overall after 12,000 miles. It has to be personal preference.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts