GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I towed 2 atv, Yamaha Grizzly 2010 on a trailer. The Terrain drives itself just like if there no load behind.

Just before you ask, yes i checked and the trailer was still there :)

2 X 700 pounds atv's and approx 600 pounds for the trailer... so towing 2000 pounds without a glitch.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dietz4ibanez said:
Pictures or its a lie! ;D

jk

But it would be cool to see pictures of this!
Next time i hook them i'll take a picture :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
2010 Terrain,V6,SLE

This past Sunday I was towing a small tent trailer(12-1500 lbs) with a 16 ft Canoe on the Terrain's roof.

Was driving west 0n the 401 from the US border(Gananoque)to Newcastle(Toronto)

Traveling at approx 110 kph,pushing strong head/cross winds,this section of the 401 has a fair number of hills and steady uphill grades.

I was finding that the Terrain was struggling to keep up to the 110 kph,it seemed to be doing alot of downshifting.

The Sat before heading east(doing around 118-120 kph) ,I was happier with the way it was pulling did not drop down to lower gears as much and at times it seemed to not have a trailer on.

It could be that mine likes traveling at 120 better then 110 kph(power band range ????)

Doing another similar trip on Sun.,different roads ,will see how it does then.......

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tjjkc said:
2010 Terrain,V6,SLE

This past Sunday I was towing a small tent trailer(12-1500 lbs) with a 16 ft Canoe on the Terrain's roof.

Traveling at approx 110 kph,pushing strong head/cross winds,this section of the 401 has a fair number of hills and steady uphill grades.

I was finding that the Terrain was struggling to keep up to the 110 kph,it seemed to be doing alot of downshifting.

The Sat before heading east(doing around 118-120 kph) ,I was happier with the way it was pulling did not drop down to lower gears as much and at times it seemed to not have a trailer on.

It could be that mine likes traveling at 120 better then 110 kph(power band range ????)

Doing another similar trip on Sun.,different roads ,will see how it does then.......
Maybe it could depends on how you made the break-in ? Mine doenst struggle with nothing. I've done little crappy roads with repairs going on and highway, i feeled a good acceleration to get to crusing speed on the highway and a very stable ride. On the highway i was crusing about 110~115kph.

I had to change my driving habits, but that is normal when towing a big load. So maybe you just get used to when coming back ?

Just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
tjjkc said:
2010 Terrain,V6,SLE

You might want to visit your dealer, I think there is a transmission reprogram with the towing package and it may not have been done on your Terrain.

·
Registered
65 Posts
NoobNox said:
You might want to visit your dealer, I think there is a transmission reprogram with the towing package and it may not have been done on your Terrain.

Been done about 3000 k ago

G

·
tjjkc said:
Been done about 3000 k ago
Its the crappy ECM/Tranny programming by GM..... When towing alot I use M5 vs being in D to prevent gear searching, which will heat up the tranny due to the constant shifting of gears. 6th gear is just an OD, 5th is a 1:1 ratio, while 6th is .74:1. I've had 2 skis, gear and 4 adults in the Nox as the largest load thus far, and it gear searched between 55-65 because rpms floated around 1250-1500 (just too low with 2000lbs plus 3 others in the car and then gear for 4 days of camping). Tow in M5 and things are much better.....I've since been retuned (trifecta performance tune), but I think I will still tow in M5 vs going to D. This is logically the only purpose I can see for the "M" mode on our tranny

·
Registered
306 Posts
We've been towing our 1800 lb Scamp travel trailer this past week or so. the weather has been in the 90's or even hitting 100 and the Terrain temp gauge is rock solid in it's normal position. This Vehicle is a treat to drive when towing and has plenty of power to perform the task of towing our Scamp. We're extremely pleased with all aspects of the Terrain and feel we made a great decision to purchase it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
RSchleder .......what kind of roads were you on.flat/hilly,and what kind of speeds..........my Terrain has no issues with the temp ,power is there also, but I do get a bit of down shifting(I'm in southern/northern Ontario, not flat)just came back from a camping week-end,went along Hwy 35,and it did it's share of down shifts.

2010BlkGraniteNox.........I did try to run in 5th and it is better,but I was still getting downshifts and loosing speed,up hill,if I was easy on the pedal I would keep my speed but if I pushed it down a bit too much then it would downshift....

·
Registered
306 Posts
We spent a week in the Rocky mountains ( around Frisco and Breckenridge, Co) and a trip back across Nebraska( table top flat) to Iowa. We also went to Southern Alabama last week through some fairly hilly country in Southern Mo, Tenn and Miss, so I believe we've traveled just about every type of road. We generally travel between 62-65 when towing our trailer. Our Terrain also does a bit of downshifting on grades but I expected it. I do believe that the torque is improving as the engine breaks-in, we now have 3400 miles on the Terrain and averaged 16.5 mpg on our last trip towing the Scamp

G

·
tjjkc said:
2010BlkGraniteNox.........I did try to run in 5th and it is better,but I was still getting downshifts and loosing speed,up hill,if I was easy on the pedal I would keep my speed but if I pushed it down a bit too much then it would downshift....
I would run M4 if thats the case......I do not like excessive downshifts, especially when towing. Its nothing but heating up the tranny, and w/o an Aux cooler that is bad. I keep stating I will get one, but than I figure 100k warranty on the tranny, and I will never keep a personal car past that, so meh :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
So it was my turn to finally tow something with the Terrain.. it moved the Grizzly + Trailer without any dramas and the Terrain does have enough guts to actually forget you have something back there..

I'm very impressed...

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am about to tow a 7 by 12 trailer to Daytona for Bike week. I will have a roadling amd a low rider in it. Comboned weight of bikes areound 1400 lbs. The trailer dry weight is around 1400 lbs. I have the V6 with the towing package. I will let everyone klnow how the trip goes. It will be around 1100 miles round trip.

Wish me luck, regards

PS aside from being very wide I towed it home and could not feel it behind me. barley.. ;D

·
Registered
29 Posts
esbayne said:
I am about to tow a 7 by 12 trailer to Daytona for Bike week. I will have a roadling amd a low rider in it. Comboned weight of bikes areound 1400 lbs. The trailer dry weight is around 1400 lbs. I have the V6 with the towing package. I will let everyone klnow how the trip goes. It will be around 1100 miles round trip.

Wish me luck, regards

PS aside from being very wide I towed it home and could not feel it behind me. barley.. ;D
Do you have an electric brake set up for the Terrain and trailer, going down the road isn't a big deal.......it's the stopping that could get some people in trouble.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I ended up using the Terrain for towing as well. A 1600lb Horse Trailer and then about 2600lbs (Horse + Horse Trailer). The Terrain pulled everything with ease. :)

Now, for those that are pulling trailers with brakes, etc. Did you go get a brake controller installed and convert from the 4-way plug to a 7-pin standard RV plug? Reason I ask is that I did this since the 4-pin controller only contains lights and no mechanism to actuate the brakes.

Just curious about other people's setup....

Paul

1 - 18 of 18 Posts