GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Terrain is finally built!!

16K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  gearhead 
#1 ·
Dealer called today to confirm my long awaited Terrain was built yesterday, 1/20. That's about 9 weeks since order placed. SLT-1, I4, Merlot/Titanium, w/nav and power liftgate. The invoice says expected delivery Feb 5. As I've said before, it was painful reading all these posts from all you folks who love your vehicles and sharing tips & concerns with each other. But for those of us "in waiting," it allows us to have a super head start on ownership. Thanks to you all!!

#2 ·
When was your build date again? Was it the 18th? A 2-day build for a vehicle sounds about right.

Ordered mine early december, here's hoping! Went to a dealership yesterday to drop of a key for my old car, and wanted to sit in a Terrain, but they had no Terrains or Equinox's on the lot. They said the demand has been huge.

Congrats!

#3 ·
Build week was this week, 1/18/10. I'm told mid week is a great build day as those on the line are not just off a weekend or contemplating one...probably doesn't matter anyway. My dealer had one Terrain left on the lot, but a big yellow sold sticker was on the windshield. None in the showroom either. I hear there are a few available Nox's around, but only because they have been out longer and they build a lot more Nox's every day than the Terrain. But both vehicles are just flyin' off the lots and in many cases get sold before they're off the delivery truck!

#6 ·
Congrats - hopefully some incentives will be in place when you take delivery.

#7 ·
Islander said:
Dealer called today to confirm my long awaited Terrain was built yesterday, 1/20. That's about 9 weeks since order placed. SLT-1, I4, Merlot/Titanium, w/nav and power liftgate. The invoice says expected delivery Feb 5. As I've said before, it was painful reading all these posts from all you folks who love your vehicles and sharing tips & concerns with each other. But for those of us "in waiting," it allows us to have a super head start on ownership. Thanks to you all!!
Congrats on the news. Our Terrain should be built this week too! We have ours configured the same as yours except we ordered the Jet Black interior. Where abouts do you live as I am curious as to the Feb 5th delivery date. I hope they can get ours to us by Feb 1 to take advantage of the GM Card bonus earnings that expire then.

#8 ·
Congrats Islander!
Sounds like a very sharp colour combo!!!
8) 8) 8)
You're gonna love the Terrain!
(Let's see, need groceries, go to store, come home, forgot milk, no problem go back to store, forgot butter, no problem, go back to store, need gas, check out Discount Auto, go home, forgot cookies, well you get the picture LOL!)

#10 ·
SnowItch said:
When I was facing a similar deadline with Cash for Clunkers, my dealer was able to complete the sale prior to the Nox actually being on the lot. Perhaps it was different because the vehicle wasn't built for me (it was just part of his assignment), but he was still able to work with me so that I didn't lose incentives.

Of course, he might have bent the rules a little because I made that deal with him when I was sitting at a Toyota dealership about to sign the papers on a Rav-4.
No, you're right as we walked in tonight and closed on our Terrain without it being here as I didn't want to lose out on all the specials that expired today. We somehow ended up with $2127.35 in GM Card Earnings to apply when all I thought you could apply towards the Terrain was $1000 per the fine print. Go figure? Our SLT-1 should be here next week.

#11 ·
CWGrizzwold said:
No, you're right as we walked in tonight and closed on our Terrain without it being here as I didn't want to lose out on all the specials that expired today. We somehow ended up with $2127.35 in GM Card Earnings to apply when all I thought you could apply towards the Terrain was $1000 per the fine print. Go figure? Our SLT-1 should be here next week.
I think I wound up with the same amount give ortake $10. I had approx $1300 and they topped me off to $2000 right after the new year. I got the card in the mail on Monday and the car was in my driveway by Saturday.

That "top off" program expiredtoday I believe and applied to the Terrain. It could not be combined with Supplier pricing though.

#12 ·
It's here!!! Almost eleven weeks later, I actually got the call a couple hours ago. The truck had just pulled in and I got there just in time to see it on the ground. The detail/service shop had already closed, but the salesman handed me the keys and I took it for a 10 mile spin. Smooth as my BMW and every bit as comfortable. I'm slammed at the office tomorrow and have a dinner thing tomorrow night, but I'll be there on Saturday morning when they open to finish the deal. Loyalty/Conquest/60 day $500 waiver have all come and gone, but I really don't care. I'll FINALLY get to see what you all have been talking about!!

#13 ·
Islander said:
It's here!!! Almost eleven weeks later, I actually got the call a couple hours ago. The truck had just pulled in and I got there just in time to see it on the ground. The detail/service shop had already closed, but the salesman handed me the keys and I took it for a 10 mile spin. Smooth as my BMW and every bit as comfortable. I'm slammed at the office tomorrow and have a dinner thing tomorrow night, but I'll be there on Saturday morning when they open to finish the deal. Loyalty/Conquest/60 day $500 waiver have all come and gone, but I really don't care. I'll FINALLY get to see what you all have been talking about!!
That is fantastic! How long has it been, about 12 weeks right? By the way, looking at the last few digits of my VIN, looks like mine was the 1,608th unit.

KJ

#14 ·
Islander said:
Congrats, Islander!
8)
Sounds like a fun filled weekend is in store for you.
May it bring you and yours miles and miles of smiles!
:)

#15 ·
Thanks Gearhead. I've really enjoyed your posts and those of a lot of other "gearheads" on this site. I've always had a thing for cars and get this crazy every time I put a new one in the garage!! I've had a lot of cars in the last 45 years!! Noncon, yes, just between 11-12 weeks. Came one day before scheduled delivery here in FLA. By the way, I hadn't seen the Terrain in Merlot since I ordered it. Suits me just fine and the leather interior, which I hadn't even seen before, is WAY beyond my expectations for a vehicle in the price range. Better than some vehicles I've had that cost 2 times as much.

#16 ·
I took the little "quick start" booklet in the glovebox home with me. It seems like a good way to get started. The NAV in the car works great...I look forward to playing with that feature a lot. Screen is pretty big, not quite as large as the 5 Series, but actually seems to be a better screen with higher detail. I like it. Was also impressed with the power liftgate...very cool and smooth. This will be my everyday back and forth to work vehicle and I put about 50-60 miles a day. 80% interstate 20% city. I'll let you guys know how the 4 banger works on the flat Fla highways.

#17 ·
Congrats.

Screw dinner....get the car!!!!!

#18 ·
Our Terrain was dropped off last night and I caught it sitting out front of the dealership this morning on my way to work. It will be all detailed and ready to go for us tomorrow morning at 10 or so. My wife is pretty stoked. I just dug out the window sticker on her 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS that we are trading in to bring back some memories. This will be quite an upgrade for her! Its been just under 11 weeks since we ordered ours. Not too shabby considering the very high demand. Ours was one of four that got dropped off and I think three of the four are presold units.

Attachments

#19 ·
CWGrizzwold---Yours is absolutely identical to ours, except for interior--we got the titanium. Merlot SLT-1, w/Nav and power liftgate! I think we're both getting them at the same time--I'm at 10 too except I'll probably be there about a half hour early to drool. Out the door now!

#21 ·
Oddly enough, they are all different colors as they come down the line. I toured the NUMMI factory in CA to watch them build Vibes, Tocoma's and Corolla's. They wonb't let you go through the paint shop, but the assembly line looked like a rainbow. Maybe they have different paint "guns" for the robots loaded with all of the colors and then just switch guns as needed.

A fun thing to watch - a "must do" for any car fanatic.

#22 ·
CWGrizzwold said:
Our Terrain was dropped off last night and I caught it sitting out front of the dealership this morning on my way to work. It will be all detailed and ready to go for us tomorrow morning at 10 or so. My wife is pretty stoked. I just dug out the window sticker on her 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS that we are trading in to bring back some memories. This will be quite an upgrade for her! Its been just under 11 weeks since we ordered ours. Not too shabby considering the very high demand. Ours was one of four that got dropped off and I think three of the four are presold units.
Awesome color. Had the same on my Acadia. It was called Red Jewel then.

#23 ·
RIT333 said:
Oddly enough, they are all different colors as they come down the line. I toured the NUMMI factory in CA to watch them build Vibes, Tocoma's and Corolla's. They wonb't let you go through the paint shop, but the assembly line looked like a rainbow. Maybe they have different paint "guns" for the robots loaded with all of the colors and then just switch guns as needed.[/color]
A fun thing to watch - a "must do" for any car fanatic.
The Paint Shop in an assembly facility generally flushes the paint lines with air and solvent then loads the Primer, Basecoat, ClearCoat and Catalyst (as/if/when required) as specified by the Build Sheet.
The "spray guns" usually don't change, the paint does.

The "guns" are usually "Turbo Bells" that can spin to 10's of thousands of RPM to "atomize and fan the pattern" and the paint gets charged with 25 - 50kVolts so the paint is attracted to the "grounded" vehicle.

Quick search yielded this imformative link:
http://www.sames.com/en/products/for_automotive/robotic_paint/index.php

To save solvent and paint waste, they do try to run batches of the same colour whenever possible, however demand determines what actions the process takes.
It's all automated and 90% of the time performed by robotic systems, be they floor, wall or ceiling mounted robot, gun, metering (ratios of basecoat or clearcoat and catalyst) and delivery systems.

#24 ·
SnowItch said:
Cool! Thanks for doing the search for my lazy self!
Not a problem, glad to help!
The paint process has come a looooong way from the old enamel based, hand bombed systems, and believe it or not, some manufacturers are using pigment in the clear coat now as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.