GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Terrain Engine Temperature Gauge

10K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  robotpepper 
#1 ·
Just curious. Over 1K miles and needle has been steady at one hash mark under the center (on the cold side) of the engine temperature gauge. Any cause for concern?...btw,,,where I live, every trip is long enough to get engine hot enough.

#2 ·
It has been my experience that +/- 2004...this is where Chevy seems to "pin" the needle for "normal" operating temp on a variety of truck/suv platforms

An "Ol Skool" tuner trick is to have all needles (except fuel of course) pinned to the
12 o'clock position when things are "normal"...this allowed instant confirmation during
quick eye scans...

#5 ·
Yeah, that has always bugged me too.

My Bonneville's gage was always in the middle position for 205 deg. F. When I went to a 195 deg. F thermostat, it moved a bit, but I could always tell at a glance if it was running at full temperature.

BTW...what is the thermostat on the Terrain?

#6 ·
irishrob said:
Just curious. Over 1K miles and needle has been steady at one hash mark under the center (on the cold side) of the engine temperature gauge. Any cause for concern?...btw,,,where I live, every trip is long enough to get engine hot enough.
Mine is the same way. Kind of worried me too when I first got it. But it's still like that after 16k miles.

#7 ·
That's the normal position. And it won't go any higher until it reaches a certain temperature, then it will move up. From what I've read, this was done due to complaints made over the years by people saying, "My truck is overheating. It's one notch higher than my buddies." Now once it actually does start getting hot, then it will move on up.

#8 ·
Mine does the exact same thing as well. Brought it to the attention of the techs at the dealer and they said it was normal for it and normal operating temperature. I thought there may have been a problem with the thermostat but they said it's normal and wouldn't go any further than that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.