GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested in knowing the issues involved and possibility of swapping engines. I might have access to a 2012 Equinox 2.4 that I am wondering if is compatible to put in a 2010 Terrain (also 2.4). Yes, older cars, but I would be doing the work and the engine would cost would be minimal. I cannot recall off hand if the 2012 had the oil consumption or not, but was thinking that was limited to the 2010 and 2011. I have repaired the 2010 timing chain issues in mine but the oil consumption appears to be back. Not dropping more work in that particular engine (but did get an additional 25k + miles out of it). I've seen some threads about changing the cam and sprocket. Unsure about transmission compatibility, but would have the one currently in the Equinox as well. Any quick thoughts as to considering doing this type of change or is it something to stay away from and what I need to know about each engine to determine compatibility. Mine is a FWD and the other is an AWD, if that matters. Thank you!

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
12s still had issues. I would save your money and time and get something newer.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
The cams intake cam is different. You will need to swap out your original cam or PCM will not be happy. It will run, but not well. Codes for fuel pressure will be first to make you scratch your head, and chase wrong issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts