GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our Terrain for about 3 weeks and for the most part like it a lot. One thing that is about as poor a system as possible is the voice recognition system for bluetooth. Regardless of who puts the name tags in ( me, my wife or someone at the dealership) and no mater who trys to make a call it takes at least 2 or 3 times for the system to recognize who we are trying to call------sometimes it just ends up asking if I need "help".
The dealer says a lot of the GM vehicles have the same problem. Gm tech support says "were sorry your having problems"
I have friends that have various makes of cars or SUV's and their system is simple to use and works like a charm.
As long as this technology has been around and "the new GM" is trying to convince consumers of the quality that is going into their products wouldn't you think getting something as simple as this right; apparently not?
I've told my dealer to get it figured out or I'm going to start filing with the Florida lemon Law.
I can also "vote" with my dollars next time around.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm curious if you are saving the name tags in GM's OnStar Address Book or in your phone's own contact list.

I have found that I get different results from the different systems, my old LG was terrible, the GM/OnStar one is pretty good as long as I give the name tags multple sylibles(sp?) and the one in my BlackBerry has some different interaction, it listens well but speaks poorly.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GMCdriver said:
I'm curious if you are saving the name tags in GM's OnStar Address Book or in your phone's own contact list.

I have found that I get different results from the different systems, my old LG was terrible, the GM/OnStar one is pretty good as long as I give the name tags multple sylibles(sp?) and the one in my BlackBerry has some different interaction, it listens well but speaks poorly.
We tried both with poor results. Mine doesn't listen well or speak good when it comes to the name tags. It's a pain in the neck even if it work right-------if you save name tags in OnStar when you want to make a call you have to say "hands free" then "bluetooth" then "voice" then "call ------". Wouldn't you think it would at least know if you are calling "hands free" it would know you wanted "voice". Would you not also think if you had a bluetooth phone connected it would make this the first choice without having to say "bluetooth". This thing has me PI**** so I'm on a mission------------I've purchased my last 5 vehicles from this dealer (4 Buick's and this GMC) but their going to get tired of seeing my face if this doesn't get corrected.

·
Registered
142 Posts
When i first got terrain - 2000 miles on it now - it came with some onstar minutes for calling as well as my phone being connected to car via bluetooth. i have to admit when i made calls i really could not tell that it was using onstar minutes.

anyway, after that ran out i set up name tags for everyone i call...i just followed process to record my voice saying names and typed in numbers on keypad in car.

now i just hit the button, on steering wheel. i say call. it says something about use my phone. i say tag. it verifys by repeating tag back. i say yes, and it dials.

honestly it works very very good. i only wish that when it talked it talked faster. but it works very well for the recognition of the tags i recorded.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Mine is the best i've ever had.

It work more than perfectly. It work with every command i give him.

What i think is that you have a deffective mic...

Go see your dealer.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
scottb said:
When i first got terrain - 2000 miles on it now - it came with some onstar minutes for calling as well as my phone being connected to car via bluetooth. i have to admit when i made calls i really could not tell that it was using onstar minutes.

anyway, after that ran out i set up name tags for everyone i call...i just followed process to record my voice saying names and typed in numbers on keypad in car.

now i just hit the button, on steering wheel. i say call. it says something about use my phone. i say tag. it verifys by repeating tag back. i say yes, and it dials.

honestly it works very very good. i only wish that when it talked it talked faster. but it works very well for the recognition of the tags i recorded.
Glad yours works well.

I know when the phone mins. are gone (and I won't renew OnStar) I probably won't have to go thru such an ordeal to make a call. That still does not correct the poor at best voice recognition mine has. When 3 different people try to make it understand commands something is wrong. There is also no reason for the "degree of difficulty" one has to go thru to make a bluetooth call with or without OnStar phone mins.

·
Registered
830 Posts
That's wat i've said. You probably have a deffective mic.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: Re: Terrain bluetooth/voice recognition stinks!

You don't need OnStar to use Bluetooth. They are separate.

Voice recognition works great for built in Bluetooth. If you are storing numbers in the Terrain's built in address book then you shouldn't have any issues. If you do, its probably a mic problem.

Voice recognition through your cell phone, when you say bluetooth>voice, is generally craptacular because of Nuance, the maker of most voice recognition software for cell phones. It's horrible, so don't use it unless you have to. Nuance is slow, has a horrible dictionary and if you "teach it" your voice it breaks it and it wont recognize anything (at least that was my experience with three different phones)

</end mild rant>

·
Registered
194 Posts
43sbest said:
We've had our Terrain for about 3 weeks and for the most part like it a lot. One thing that is about as poor a system as possible is the voice recognition system for bluetooth. Regardless of who puts the name tags in ( me, my wife or someone at the dealership) and no mater who trys to make a call it takes at least 2 or 3 times for the system to recognize who we are trying to call------sometimes it just ends up asking if I need "help".
The dealer says a lot of the GM vehicles have the same problem. Gm tech support says "were sorry your having problems"
I have friends that have various makes of cars or SUV's and their system is simple to use and works like a charm.
As long as this technology has been around and "the new GM" is trying to convince consumers of the quality that is going into their products wouldn't you think getting something as simple as this right; apparently not?
I've told my dealer to get it figured out or I'm going to start filing with the Florida lemon Law.
I can also "vote" with my dollars next time around.
I have a 2010 Nox and the voice commands stink. Half the time it thinks "hands free" is "display".

The navigation commands are completely useless. I completely agree with this being an old GM culture issue. Good luck getting it fixed.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You may have a problem with your system, mine works great. I even had the lady tell me one voice tag I wanted to use sounded too much like one I already had in the system.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Don B said:
You may have a problem with your system, mine works great.
Ditto

·
Registered
978 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
Mine is the best i've ever had.

It work more than perfectly. It work with every command i give him.

What i think is that you have a deffective mic...

Go see your dealer.
Yours has a male voice? Mine has a female. And when she can't understand me, she says "Pardon"? I still get a kick out of that.

·
Registered
830 Posts
No it's a female voice. But it is a bluetooth handsfree, :p a system... male ! lol

Phantm006 said:
Yours has a male voice? Mine has a female. And when she can't understand me, she says "Pardon"? I still get a kick out of that.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don B said:
You may have a problem with your system, mine works great. I even had the lady tell me one voice tag I wanted to use sounded too much like one I already had in the system.
That has happenned on my system many times when the tags were clearly different such as Maggie cell and Maggie home.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
godcore74 said:

Yep, I looked at that before the Terrain arrived. That was a 2010-------the nav/voice recognition in the 2011 was supposed to be improved.

·
Registered
300 Posts
43sbest said:
That has happened on my system many times when the tags were clearly different such as Maggie cell and Maggie home.
She didn't like it when I had Liz in the system already and wanted to use Riggs. She came back and said Riggs sounds too much like Liz, you figure that one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts