GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I have the 6 cyl Terrain and notice the engine has a sligh tapping sound when idiling.. I use the auto start as I approach the car and here a slight tap. If you have a 6 cyl. would you please start er up and listen and report back to me!! Thanks so much...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SnowItch said:
There's a thread on this (someone even made an audio recording to prove it).

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=205.0
Thanks! I could not get link to open.. Kept receiving message opening! Anyway, I felt a bit better reading some of the other comments. hey how do you get the pic of your car next to your name?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
SobeTerrain said:
Thanks! I could not get link to open.. Kept receiving message opening! Anyway, I felt a bit better reading some of the other comments. hey how do you get the pic of your car next to your name?
It's a 110MB or so file in Hi Def so depending on your ISP it may take a while to download and play.
Give it time to load (read the post for more info ;) ).

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think mother GM has decided all their engines should tap at idle. The Corvette LS1 engine has tapped from the day it was born. I've simply learned to live with it as everything I read and have learned says it's not a reliability issue.

·
Registered
698 Posts
RNOX said:
On my 2.4 I don't hear any tapping.
You must have the quietest 2.4 in the land then! There are many complaints on here about the tapping.

·
Registered
830 Posts
RNOX said:
On my 2.4 I don't hear any tapping.
All GM engine with Direct Injection does this sound. Maybe you just don't ear that sound... Every human ear different level.

·
Registered
830 Posts
RNOX said:
Guess I'm lucky or going deaf ;D
I think it is the second choice :p

Because if your engine doenst do that sound, you don't have the right engine :)

·
Registered
830 Posts
RNOX said:
Maybe the 6 makes a more prononced tapping noise? .
Certainly... it have 6 injectors :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Nope, the 4 cylinder is noisier. Something about isolators on the fuel rail that they couldn't do on the 4s.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Terrain said:
Nope, the 4 cylinder is noisier. Something about isolators on the fuel rail that they couldn't do on the 4s.
Cool

·
Registered
12 Posts
SobeTerrain said:
Hi All, I have the 6 cyl Terrain and notice the engine has a sligh tapping sound when idiling.. I use the auto start as I approach the car and here a slight tap. If you have a 6 cyl. would you please start er up and listen and report back to me!! Thanks so much...
Many report that this is the direct injection system. These systems apparently tap a little. Since they add power and improve mpg, I can live with it. I hear a little on my 4 cyl too. I don't see it as any problem and it is not noticeable inside the car.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I must have "the alternate engine" because I hear nothing from my V6. I didn't pay any extra so I feel blessed, thank you GM.

·
Registered
698 Posts
^ you must be hard of hearing then. Direct injected engines from all manufacturers sound like these. Our V6s are among the quietest I've heard but still more noisy than a port-injected engine.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Terrain--thank you so much for informing me that I'm hard of hearing. I'm sure I've owned more cars ( probably x2 or x3 as a mater of fact) than you are old. I really don't need you telling me what I'm not hearing. And OH YEAH, have a nice day! ::)

·
Registered
698 Posts
You probably have had more vehicles than me... I'm probably half your age.

In another post you said you've had a Ram for many years. That's probably why you don't hear the tapping. 318 and 360 aren't the most refined engines.

There... That explains it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts