GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like I said in one of my other threads..I ordered a 6cy Terrain SLT1 but I am gonna get a [email protected] when mine gets here..The dealer said he can swap it out for what I want..I am still stuck now after reading many things about 6 or 4 cylinder..Tapping in Engine(not sure if just a 4 issue?) engine running ruff in Econo mode?? I know the terrain is heavier than my Rav4 4 cylinder but still wonder if a 4 cylinder would do me good..I am always afraid if i get the 4 and not satisfied i would have wished I got the 6?? I am wifey as passenger..thats it..no towing..Any input would greatly be appreciated..I also heard that when u give the 6 the gas it kinda hesitates??I really am in a quandry about this that why I would like to hear from Terrain owners both 4 and 6 cylinders....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the 4 and I don't tow anything and I haven't had any issues. I did notice that when driving around town or especially idling for some time that the 4 runs a little rough, but I attribute this to the fact that it runs at such low RPMs. Sort of like when you run too low of a gear in a standard. I've never driven the 6 so I can't really compare. I love my 4 and the fuel economy. The only time it maybe lacks power is at lower speeds but once I get up to 50 or so I seems to really take off. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
We got the 6 because of the AWD (I don't think the 4 is available with AWD).
We wanted the AWD for safety with 3 kids and one in the oven (yes, we have another vehicle a 4-door Chevy that's around 210 HP).
We've been used to higher horsepower and the wife liked the 6 better than the 4 when merging onto the highway and passing trucks, things like that.
We tested the 4 and it had plenty of pep, just not enough for us, as we're used to 200+ HP for the last 10 years or so.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
SnowItch said:
I would have definitely gotten the 6 with AWD. I would have opted for the 4 if I knew we weren't going to be doing some towing (my daughter rows crew and we haul a small trailer with food & drinks to away regattas).
I was modifying my post when you posted, SnowItch.
Is AWD available with a 4?
I forget!
LOL!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone(Snowitch,hehe)know how much a Terrain weighs?? My Rav4 with a 4 cylinder weighs 32085 thats why I think i want a 6 if the Terrain weighs more..Also we are trying to sell house and move back to NYS..lotta hills round our hometown..no flat like Florida..Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW thats alot heavier than my 4 cylinder Rav4...Thanks alot for the Info..Think I will stick with the 6...

·
Registered
239 Posts
GVWR isn't the weight of the vehicle itself, it's the maximum allowable total weight of a vehicle (or trailer) when it's fully loaded.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
SnowItch said:
Didn't find the weight (yet), but while searching I found this terrific .pdf of the Terrain. Wish they had done one this nice on the Nox.

It even has a screenshot of the iPod interface.

http://www.gmc.com/pdf/2010_gmc_terrain_catalog.pdf[/color]
I don't know if it's the safari browser I'm using, but the pdf from the above link gives me a lot of blank pages and what appear to be placeholders for images that aren't there?
Anyone else?
I'll try IE8 tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
SnowItch said:
Wrong one. Tried to post the .pdf, but its too big.
You can always upload to megaupload.com (I think 100MB max filesize) and post the download link.
I know, more work for YOU.
;)
LOL!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
SnowItch said:
In firefox, and also in IE, if you right-click on the link

http://www.gmc.com/pdf/2010_gmc_terrain_catalog.pdf

it will give you a context menu.

Select "Save Link As", and you should be able to download it.

(and yes, less work for ME)
I did download it, using safari on an iMAC, same thing.
It was 18MB or something like that.
Maybe Safari is blocking some content (viruses can be hidden in images, for example).
No biggie, I'll try it tomorrow with XP and Vista using FF and IE8.
Thx, SnowItch.
Time for some shuteye.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep worked Greato with Firefox..I never use IE7 cept for my bodybugg which won't work with IE8..BodyBugg Google it,hehe...

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
nitti48 said:
Yep worked Greato with Firefox..I never use IE7 cept for my bodybugg which won't work with IE8..BodyBugg Google it,hehe...
Worked great with IE8 on our XP, Vista and Windows 7 PC's.
Maybe we need an update for Safari.
Safari uses it's own "Preview" program by default for pdf files, not Adobe Reader.
I told the kids no add ons to the iMAC, especially anything from Microsoft LOL!
Thanks SnowItch!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I noticed some things do not work on Safari..When I was in Fantasy Football some things would not come up..I use mainly Firefox..Netscape Navigator,Safari and once in awhile IE7......

·
Registered
32 Posts
There is a comparison test of the Terrain with the V6 and a.w.d to 7 other like sized crossovers in the Feb. edition of Car and Driver. The Terrain didn't fair too well. It's over 4000 lb. weight was one of the complaints. Makes for an interesting read.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
monaco said:
There is a comparison test of the Terrain with the V6 and a.w.d to 7 other like sized crossovers in the Feb. edition of Car and Driver. The Terrain didn't fair too well. It's over 4000 lb. weight was one of the complaints. Makes for an interesting read.
Thanks monaco, will have to check it out.
Remember, reading is over rated and we like a little meat with our potatoes.
LOL!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts

·
Premium Member
318 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
NY_Joe said:
Also, the article compares a FWD with other AWD. They said GM did not have an AWD test mule to give them.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/09q4/2010_gmc_terrain_v6-short_take_road_test
Hmmm, a little hypocritical maybe?
In the link I posted to the February 2010 comparison, they rate the Terrain very poor in rear leg room, which really shocked me.
In the link you posted they state:

Highs: Good brakes, bold styling, lots of back-seat room.
When it all boils down to it, bottom line is it's a subjective judgement.
The real meter will be the sales numbers and long term quality, IMO.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I hate both the magazine.

If it is not a BMW for a sedan comparison or a Toyota for anything else...then its crap. Real subjective.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree on the leg room for the back seat. I think the Terrain is amazing in this area. We had an 2007 Honda CRV before the 2008 Enclave and this Terrain. The biggest dissapointment in the CRV was the road & engine noise. Yet it is the quietest vehicle tested at 70 m.p.h.. Go figure!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts