GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone knows if this I-4 VVT Eco Boost Engine is the same block and head as the Cobalt SS Models... I want to Turbo my Terrain and Swap the brakes for the Brembo's that came with the 2008 Cobalt SS. I Have some performance parts for my Terrain and was hoping that I can get some genuine GM Performance Parts for the Cobalt for my Terrain if they share the same block and head..

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
I don't have the answers, but I do have some questions/concerns :

How would you handle the ECU to operate the issue ? This is a Direct-injection Engine, and I don't believe the Cobalt was.

Does your State do Emissions testing ? Will the car still pass ?

Will the extra parts still fit within the engine compartment ?

Otherwise, seems like a challenging project that could be neat.

On the other hand, how about just trading in for a 6 cyl. ? ::)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RIT333 said:
I don't have the answers, but I do have some questions/concerns :

How would you handle the ECU to operate the issue ? This is a Direct-injection Engine, and I don't believe the Cobalt was.

Does your State do Emissions testing ? Will the car still pass ?

Will the extra parts still fit within the engine compartment ?

Otherwise, seems like a challenging project that could be neat.

On the other hand, how about just trading in for a 6 cyl. ? ::)
The Cobalt SS was 260 HP stock internals and turbo with (I think) 6-8 lbs of boost. I have a friend who has a boost controller on his Cobalt SS ( with some internal modifications ) and his is pushing the 330 HP mark with 10-15Lbs of Boost. I live in Ontario, Canada and we do have emissions testing but a fake is as easy to get as a hamburger at McDonalds if it wouldn't pass :) I am just in the early stages of planning a performance upgrade and looking for Genuine GM Parts to use and hopefully win some shows with this vehicle.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
And, if you run E85, I believe that is a pretty high octane fuel, so you could goose up the boost pretty high, right ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The main differences are going to be that the terrain has much higher compression and cast vs. forged pistons. You could probably slap a turbo on there and run low boost to get 200-230 hp but you're not going to safely get more without upgrading those pistons...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts