GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is very similar to how my issues started in my 2017 equinox....

You can see all the details of my journey over here:
https://www.equinoxforum.net/32-aud...-equinox-trouble-radio-infotainment-unit.html

You didn't mention what year.... obviously if it's still under the bumper to bumper warranty, take it to the dealer.

As for initial steps I tried that didn't fix mine, but might fix yours:

1) with the car on (so the radio SHOULD be functioning), press the onstar hands-free calling button on the rear view mirror, then press it again to hang up. Apparently this can "reset" a hung radio unit. Didn't help me, but I saw others who that did work for.
2) pull the radio fuse in the interior fuse panel (it's in the passenger seat footwell). Leave it out for 5-10 minutes, reinstall, see if radio responds.
3) remove the negative battery terminal from the battery, let sit for 15 minutes or so, reconnect and check to see if radio is now happy.

Those are the "lets try resetting it" options I could find.

Beyond that, the most likely failure is the "radio" box, which is a silver box buried in the center console.

PM me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue with 2013 Equinox. The radio, backup camera screen black will not come on. This happens randomly for up to 1 month, then magically the unit starts working, for about 1-2 weeks, then again goes out for some duration. Then starts working again for some time, then goes out again. I have tried all of the aforementioned fixes for resetting, none work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey all. the problem is the light gray connector going to the body controller under the drivers side. while this problem is happening, turn off key and remove it and open any front door to power down accessories. unplug the light gray connector and plug it back in. if everything starts to work when started, replace that "pigtail" connector. thats it! no reprogramming or flashing, no replacing of the body control module or radio or amplifier! these pins inside the connector will appear clean and bright with no indication of damage. my guess is the metal used for the contact pins are of something that cannot handle the current flow or maybe the heat transfered the the controllers? whatever it is, when i get one of these in my shop i order a new connector from GM and solder it in and no comebacks!

Dave H. C&A auto repair ELDERSBERG,MD

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was driving home yesterday and suddenly my Bluetooth connection was last. Couldn’t reconnect to my phones playlist. Everything on radio worked but Bluetooth. Today, tried to connect to Bluetooth again and it wouldn’t. Drove out driveway a bit , as it’s sometimes a case of being too close to other devices near the house. I pulled out a bit too far and when I put it in reverse, everything went black. Radio, Bluetooth, phone...nothing works. Tried shutting it off and restarting but it’s still not working. I can tell from this forum that it’s not my 2014 GMC Terrain. Has GMC ever replaced these faulty pieces?? Just a bit upset because we’ve had the car for only a year snd it’s only got 91k on it. Well maintained so this isn’t from any type of abuse

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,943 Posts
@Janicele : have you read this entire thread and tried what’s been suggested here ... especially @DenverGp and @bayfishr1 ?

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey all. the problem is the light gray connector going to the body controller under the drivers side. while this problem is happening, turn off key and remove it and open any front door to power down accessories. unplug the light gray connector and plug it back in. if everything starts to work when started, replace that "pigtail" connector. thats it! no reprogramming or flashing, no replacing of the body control module or radio or amplifier! these pins inside the connector will appear clean and bright with no indication of damage. my guess is the metal used for the contact pins are of something that cannot handle the current flow or maybe the heat transfered the the controllers? whatever it is, when i get one of these in my shop i order a new connector from GM and solder it in and no comebacks!

Dave H. C&A auto repair ELDERSBERG,MD

·
Registered
3 Posts
bayfishr1 - any chance you can provide a picture of this fix? Where exactly is the light gray connector and/or the body controller?

Thanks for you guidance. This radio shutdown issue is a tremendous nuisance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is very similar to how my issues started in my 2017 equinox....

You can see all the details of my journey over here:
2017 Equinox, trouble with radio/infotainment unit

You didn't mention what year.... obviously if it's still under the bumper to bumper warranty, take it to the dealer.

As for initial steps I tried that didn't fix mine, but might fix yours:

1) with the car on (so the radio SHOULD be functioning), press the onstar hands-free calling button on the rear view mirror, then press it again to hang up. Apparently this can "reset" a hung radio unit. Didn't help me, but I saw others who that did work for.
2) pull the radio fuse in the interior fuse panel (it's in the passenger seat footwell). Leave it out for 5-10 minutes, reinstall, see if radio responds.
3) remove the negative battery terminal from the battery, let sit for 15 minutes or so, reconnect and check to see if radio is now happy.

Those are the "lets try resetting it" options I could find.

Beyond that, the most likely failure is the "radio" box, which is a silver box buried in the center console.

PM me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had no audio with from the radio. The screen performed normally.
Leaving the fuse out for a period of time worked for me, got the audio back !

21 - 29 of 29 Posts