GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I turn my 2012 Terrain on after a stop at the hardware store and the radio screen is blank, no sound, none of the radio buttons worked. The HVAC controls still worked. I turned the car off then on again twice and still nothing. Pulled & checked the various fuses related to the radio. Then I got in through the driver door and the GMC logo came across the screen and shut off half way through the GMC animation. Once I started the car the radio was fine again. Has anyone else experienced this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me. I left the house and the radio was fine. Drove 5 minutes and stopped at the gas station to fill up and when I started the car there was no sound or display from the radio. On the way to work (40 minute drive) I had a phone call come in and it came across the car speakers (via bluetooth connection). Still nothing on the display. After I left work I thought about checking the fuse box. I did this first - checked all the radio fuses by the passenger side - and started the car. Radio worked. I was thinking about bringing it to the dealership but without knowing how to recreate the issue I don't believe they would do much for me. 3 months later now and I have yet to see this issue repeated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Im guessing with new radio and technology, we will see some issues..

I have an issue..with a CD in..And I start the car, the CD spits out, the favorites, which are all XM, dont show the name of channel..just 'XM21'..etc...then it pulls CD back in and slowly the names show back up on favorites..Very intermittently and only does this with a CD in....so I rarely listen to CD's...so I keep it out...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Have the same issue with my 2011 Terrain-SLT. Randomly when you start the vehicle the radio is dead. Only way to resolve is to turn off engine, open driver door, close it and start engine again. Of course not able to recreate the issue for the dealership. They kept my vehicle for two days "trying" to recreate it with no success. Also said they did not have any info or recalls indicated for it, but to bring it back if it kept happening. Doesn't happen often enough to go through the hassle to keep taking it in to dealer, and quick enough to resolve, although very annoying. :thumbdown:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
Just an added note: I think it's an issue with the fancier touch screen/navigation units in all makes and models...

One of my friends has a 2011 Ford Explorer with the touch screen/nav unit...with the "SYNC MyFord Touch" system. She has a problem with hers doing weird things occasionally. It's done what you described, on a few occasions. And also, one time I was riding with her, and she turned the car off and opened the door, but the screen stayed turned on when it was supposed to be off. She waited about 20 seconds and it was frozen, wasn't doing anything. Then she finally got it to turn off after she started the car a few times. But then we got back in later and began driving away and it's like it got frozen on a screen that chimed three times, but it repeated the chime about every 15 seconds for a good 30 minutes. We tried everything to make it stop. Nothing seemed to work, so we just left it and came back 15 min later and it finally turned off.

Just adding a note that it's not only Chevy's system that has these kinds of glitches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
Sumr616 said:
Just an added note: I think it's an issue with the fancier touch screen/navigation units in all makes and models...

One of my friends has a 2011 Ford Explorer with the touch screen/nav unit...with the "SYNC MyFord Touch" system. She has a problem with hers doing weird things occasionally. It's done what you described, on a few occasions. And also, one time I was riding with her, and she turned the car off and opened the door, but the screen stayed turned on when it was supposed to be off. She waited about 20 seconds and it was frozen, wasn't doing anything. Then she finally got it to turn off after she started the car a few times. But then we got back in later and began driving away and it's like it got frozen on a screen that chimed three times, but it repeated the chime about every 15 seconds for a good 30 minutes. We tried everything to make it stop. Nothing seemed to work, so we just left it and came back 15 min later and it finally turned off.

Just adding a note that it's not only Chevy's system that has these kinds of glitches.

and that is the reason for software/firmware updates. Hopefully GM will continue to provide these...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
actually I thought that I saw a post saying that the OnStar had something to do with this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
tkpc said:
Same exact thing happened to me. I left the house and the radio was fine. Drove 5 minutes and stopped at the gas station to fill up and when I started the car there was no sound or display from the radio. On the way to work (40 minute drive) I had a phone call come in and it came across the car speakers (via bluetooth connection). Still nothing on the display. After I left work I thought about checking the fuse box. I did this first - checked all the radio fuses by the passenger side - and started the car. Radio worked. I was thinking about bringing it to the dealership but without knowing how to recreate the issue I don't believe they would do much for me. 3 months later now and I have yet to see this issue repeated.
I had a similar issue with my 2010 Nox. The exception was a high pitch audible. The audible tooked the place of the radio. I turned the radio off/on several times and the same thing would occured while it was on. The turn signal would cause the same to occur. I decided to try or simulate what you did and the issue went away for now. I will report later if this happens again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Just bought 2012 GMC Terrain SLT2, my radio has the exact same problems, first time you start it the radio works, than after a short stop (ie getting gas, running in for a coffee etc.) it will longer play any sound through the speakers, that includes signal light sounds, onstar, xm, bluetooth calls, as they are all controlled by the radio unit. Took it to the dealer, they did a check which at first they thought would just be a software reflash, but turned out to be a defective radio unit, it will not show up in your fuses just inside your radio. GM customer care has also been following my repair closely so if everyone that is experiencing these problems is still under warranty goes to the dealer to get this repair it may turn into a recall item that will help those of us that no longer have a warranty that are suffering from these problems. Also it is not just in the terrain and equinox lines, it is also in some other lines that are using the same radio control units. So it may end up helping alot of people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
Pontiac_2_GMC said:
Just bought 2012 GMC Terrain SLT2, my radio has the exact same problems, first time you start it the radio works, than after a short stop (ie getting gas, running in for a coffee etc.) it will longer play any sound through the speakers, that includes signal light sounds, onstar, xm, bluetooth calls, as they are all controlled by the radio unit. Took it to the dealer, they did a check which at first they thought would just be a software reflash, but turned out to be a defective radio unit, it will not show up in your fuses just inside your radio. GM customer care has also been following my repair closely so if everyone that is experiencing these problems is still under warranty goes to the dealer to get this repair it may turn into a recall item that will help those of us that no longer have a warranty that are suffering from these problems. Also it is not just in the terrain and equinox lines, it is also in some other lines that are using the same radio control units. So it may end up helping alot of people.
I am glad to hear that you concern seems to have been resolved. Feel free to contact me if you need any further assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Servic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I have a 2011 GMC Terrain SLE, that is 3 years old, and I have the same dead radio problem. It all started approx 2 weeks ago when the battery died in the vehicle. I replaced the battery with a new AC/Delco battery, from a GMC dealership. When I started up the vehicle, and tried to turn on the radio nothing happened. I checked the radio fuse, and it was good. The first dealership I went to wanted to charge me 1 hr. labor to diagnose the problem. So, I ended up going to another GMC dealership to have them diagnose/troubleshoot what the problem was. They said it was a bad radio !. How can my radio go bad after 3 years ?. The display was blank, no a/c info., no turn signal sounds, no radio. The dealership wanted to charge me approx. $400.00 for a new radio. I don't think so. This radio unit p/n# 20983517 according to this online forum is defective. I've sent an e-mail to GM Customer Service about this problem, so we'll see what happens. There needs to be a recall from GM about these radios in the GMC Terrains, because it's not right the customers should get stuck paying for a defective product on a new vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,755 Posts
777terrain55 said:
I have a 2011 GMC Terrain SLE, that is 3 years old, and I have the same dead radio problem. It all started approx 2 weeks ago when the battery died in the vehicle. I replaced the battery with a new AC/Delco battery, from a GMC dealership. When I started up the vehicle, and tried to turn on the radio nothing happened. I checked the radio fuse, and it was good. The first dealership I went to wanted to charge me 1 hr. labor to diagnose the problem. So, I ended up going to another GMC dealership to have them diagnose/troubleshoot what the problem was. They said it was a bad radio !. How can my radio go bad after 3 years ?. The display was blank, no a/c info., no turn signal sounds, no radio. The dealership wanted to charge me approx. $400.00 for a new radio. I don't think so. This radio unit p/n# 20983517 according to this online forum is defective. I've sent an e-mail to GM Customer Service about this problem, so we'll see what happens. There needs to be a recall from GM about these radios in the GMC Terrains, because it's not right the customers should get stuck paying for a defective product on a new vehicle.
Mine just randomly started working again, so hold out hope. But, since you are outside of the warranty period, I'm not sure what you expect them to do. The deal you purchased did not cover this type of break beyond 3/36k, if you wanted it to be covered, you should have purchased an extended warranty. $400 sounds pretty reasonable, imho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Ralphalph, is $ 400.00 reasonable for who ?, you ?. Did you read my post ?. Apparently you are independantly wealthy, or work for a dealership. I vote for the latter etc. The car is 3 y.o, this shouldnt be happening so soon. Aso, it seems that GM is producing alot of recalls lately, is this my fault ?. I don't think so. I've purchased extended warranties before at the tune of $2000-$3000, and never needed them, because all my previous cars were Ford/Lincoln Mercury products. I expect GM to back up the dependability of their products, and not screw the customer. According to the "Equinox Forum", other customers have had the same problem, years before me, so obviously it's not an isolated issue. Whatever your'e smoking, "just say no to drugs" !. I work for a living, stop wasting my time. Btw, have a nice day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,755 Posts
777terrain55 said:
Ralphalph, is $ 400.00 reasonable for who ?, you ?. Did you read my post ?. Apparently you are independantly wealthy, or work for a dealership. I vote for the latter etc. The car is 3 y.o, this shouldnt be happening so soon. Aso, it seems that GM is producing alot of recalls lately, is this my fault ?. I don't think so. I've purchased extended warranties before at the tune of $2000-$3000, and never needed them, because all my previous cars were Ford/Lincoln Mercury products. I expect GM to back up the dependability of their products, and not screw the customer. According to the "Equinox Forum", other customers have had the same problem, years before me, so obviously it's not an isolated issue. Whatever your'e smoking, "just say no to drugs" !. I work for a living, stop wasting my time. Btw, have a nice day.
$400 is cheaper than $3k, so you still made a good decision to turn down the warranty. No such thing as a free ride. Why don't you take this up with the dealer that installed the battery, since that seems to be the likely culprit for your unit's failure?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Re: intermittent - no radio reception

My wife and I ordered a SLT 2 Terrain new almost 4 years ago. With all the bells and whistles on it, (nav and dvd), we paid for an extended warranty. We have been having problems with the radio system. The bluetooth quit automatically connecting to her phone, so we took it into the local dealer. We paid the bill as there was a $100. deductible on extended warranty, and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. We have also had problems with the radio - several times when we went to listen to the FM stations, all we got was static. Happened again today when I picked up veh from warranty work (transmission). I took it right back to dealer and showed service adviser and they booked veh in for next week. As I was on my way home, I hit the on and off button a few times, and then the radio just started working again. I wanted to see who else was having issues with theirs. If it is an issue with these vehicles, I don't believe I should be paying a deductible and I don't want to take it in to just have them tell me they can't find anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I have a 2012 GMC Terrain and I also am experiencing problems with my radio/DVD and NAV just shutting off as I am going down the road and then it comes back up after a little while. The first time the problem started it all worked except the FM stations, none of them would work. The AM stations and DVD worked fine but not the FM stations. After about 30 minutes the FM stations started working again. Is this covered under warranty?????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
Happens to me with a 2015 SLT w/nav as well. Reboots itself and comes back after a few minutes. Happens every 3-4 weeks but always has come back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Has your concerns been resolved? Please feel free to contact me with more information for further assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
My radio screen (head end) is completely black. Went out after I put the vehicle in reverse, and never came back on. No radio, no Bluetooth, no back-up camera, no display for heat/AC controls. It has been a week now, not an intermittent problem. Fuses are fine. Power from source in fuse slot. Any direction to a fix would be great!
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top