GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, long time lurker here and first time poster. Got a problem with my 2010 Nox V6 2LT. We purchased the car last March and have driven it without any problems until this Monday. Started the car to warm up and after a couple of minutes the door locks went crazy (locking and unlocking). Then the DIC showed service stablitrac and service rear parking assist. I shut the car down and waited an hour, started it again and same message came up plus the check engine light was on.

I called OnStar to do a diagnostic and they said something wrong with the TCM not communicating with the ECM. They asked me to shift the gear selector and see if the DIC shows what gear is selected. No gear selection comes up on the DIC, i also tried to rev the engine and no throttle response. They said it has to be towed to the dealer for further diagnosis and they arranged for the towing. While waiting for the tow I decided to empty the car and tried to open the rear lift gate to get my stuff out but the liftgate wouldn't open (arggh).

Once at the dealer they called me and said a TCM switch has gone bad and thats the cause of all the other malfunctions including the liftgate. They also told me that the part should arrive in 3 days or by Wednesday. Today is the 5th day and still no TCM switch. This situation is getting frustrating. I hope they get the part soon!

Has anyone expereinced this problem? And how long have you waited for the part?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hhmm is it TCM or BCM? TCM has to do with transmission I believe. BCM is Body Control Module and has to do with a bunch of stuff inside cabin (also communicates with ECM) .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, to tell you frankly I am not sure if its the BCM. OnStar diagnostics told me TCM and ECM are not communicating that is why when I shift the gear selector it does not show on the DIC. The dealer also tells me that what they found was there is a TCM switch that was bad. It my affect the BCM as well but who knows?

Can't really tell if its just a switch problem as the part has not come in yet for them to test. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got back the car on Saturday. Took total 5 days to wait for the part - Internal Mode Switch (IMS). Had to remove the trans valve body, replace the switch and replace the trans fluid. Its working now, hopefully would last.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
JoeNox said:
Got back the car on Saturday. Took total 5 days to wait for the part - Internal Mode Switch (IMS). Had to remove the trans valve body, replace the switch and replace the trans fluid. Its working now, hopefully would last.
I sympathize with you, I had my steering wheel position sensor changed out, fairly easy as its inside the steering column shroud, but ya, makes you wonder how QC is on these electrical components. This was back when I had only 200km's on.

Not real performance some might say.[/color]

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
OnxBear said:
I sympathize with you, I had my steering wheel position sensor changed out, fairly easy as its inside the steering column shroud, but ya, makes you wonder how QC is on these electrical components. This was back when I had only 200km's on.

Not real performance some might say.[/color]
Wonder if these parts are made in China ??? Get banged up a bit on the way here in ruff seas...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with you guys. It seems that the QC on these parts are so so... Car not being 1 year old, never offroaded or driven in extreme conditions and the switch fails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts