GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at a loss to explain this one.
I was driving down the highway yesterday at 105km, it started raining so I turned on the rear wiper. 5 minutes or so later there was a very loud pop, scared the sh$#@ right out off me. I could no longuer see out my back window, I pulled over to see what had happened, the glass had shattered to million pieces but was still in place. Of course when I touched it, it fell in.
I was alone on the road no oncomming traffic, no one ahead or behind. Now unless I was hit by a meteor I don't have any idea what happened.

2011 equinox.

My dealer will never believe this one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Being the rear window is tempered glass, a variety of things could have caused it to "blow up". It is not too uncommon for a tempered window to blow. Generally, a rock or something comes up and hits it at just the right place to cause shatter.

Unfortunately, the dealer may give push back as road hazards of some type are the usual suspects. They may require you to put through your auto insurance.

I live in Arizona and there is constant road work being done. We all have full glass coverage with no deductable here....lol.

I would take it to a reputable autoglass replacement company prior to taking it to the dealer to see if they can tell if the window had any type of sharp edge around the channel to see if this was the culprit.

Glad to hear you are OK. I know that can be a frightening experience :help:.

Good Luck!

Cyn

·
Registered
194 Posts
;D Thought your window came to a screeching halt (Braking) -- but it Broke?? (Breaking)?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
;D Thought your window came to a screeching halt (Braking) -- but it Broke?? (Breaking)?
Good thing too, wouldn't want all those rear windows running amok.....LOL :cheers:

·
Registered
698 Posts
This actually happened a couple of times on very early Terrains/Equinoxes. Not sure if it was relayed on this forum or not but there was an issue with the rear hatch glass from the manufacturer.

Looks like yours is far from an early copy, but there certainly can be defects in auto glass.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Rain said:
I'm at a loss to explain this one.
I was driving down the highway yesterday at 105km, it started raining so I turned on the rear wiper. 5 minutes or so later there was a very loud pop, scared the sh$#@ right out off me. I could no longuer see out my back window, I pulled over to see what had happened, the glass had shattered to million pieces but was still in place. Of course when I touched it, it fell in.
I was alone on the road no oncomming traffic, no one ahead or behind. Now unless I was hit by a meteor I don't have any idea what happened.

2011 equinox.

My dealer will never believe this one.
I am glad to see that you are planning to work with your local dealer regarding this concern. Please feel free to keep us posted. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts