GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was heading through an intersection yesterday, and an old man in an 80's Chevy ran through a red light and T Boned my beloved black 2010 EQ. The car rotated, then rolled on its side, then flipped onto the roof. I am OK, due to the car's safety features coming through with flying colors.

I ended up upside down, strapped into the seat belt. The windshield was very damaged, and the side airbag curtains deployed, so I could not see out of the vehicle, I just knew that I had to get out of there. I was alone, thank God. I fiddled with the seat belt latch, I might have tried the wrong side first, then released it and fell onto my head or side. I can't remember if I tried the driver side door, but I did crawl to the passenger door and opened it, and crawled onto the street, stood up and got very sad looking at the car's underside.

I only have scratches on my elbow from the glass, but feel fine, and very lucky considering it could have been much worse.
Being upside down in a car is like nothing I have felt before, and have never trained for either.

Bottom line is the car is totaled, 15 months old and 18,000 soft miles. The interior still looked and smelled brand new. I am hoping that the insurance money will get me close to being able to replace it with another EQ, so I will still be a part of this great forum. I did not think to take a pic of the car upside down, but it was pretty sad looking.
Till next time. :beer:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow! Glad you are OK. You can always replace a car, but getting out of an accident like you describe without an injury is priceless.

·
Registered
368 Posts
fullcourt said:
I was heading through an intersection yesterday, and an old man in an 80's Chevy ran through a red light and T Boned my beloved black 2010 EQ. The car rotated, then rolled on its side, then flipped onto the roof. I am OK, due to the car's safety features coming through with flying colors.

I ended up upside down, strapped into the seat belt. The windshield was very damaged, and the side airbag curtains deployed, so I could not see out of the vehicle, I just knew that I had to get out of there. I was alone, thank God. I fiddled with the seat belt latch, I might have tried the wrong side first, then released it and fell onto my head or side. I can't remember if I tried the driver side door, but I did crawl to the passenger door and opened it, and crawled onto the street, stood up and got very sad looking at the car's underside.

I only have scratches on my elbow from the glass, but feel fine, and very lucky considering it could have been much worse.
Being upside down in a car is like nothing I have felt before, and have never trained for either.

Bottom line is the car is totaled, 15 months old and 18,000 soft miles. The interior still looked and smelled brand new. I am hoping that the insurance money will get me close to being able to replace it with another EQ, so I will still be a part of this great forum. I did not think to take a pic of the car upside down, but it was pretty sad looking.
Glad you're ok.

·
Registered
72 Posts
2nd person I've seen on this forum get t-boned and walk away with just a scratch. The wrecked car sucks but at least you're ok.

·
Registered
161 Posts
What a horrible accidant, I'm glad your not hurt.

·
Registered
194 Posts
:mad: Wow!! I am glad you are OK..... :cheers: Now no Nox to drive :shrug:.... >:D I have to ask.... ::) Did the MP3 player skip??

Be well and hope you get a new one...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Certainly glad you are ok. Speaks well of both the vehicle and your will to leave. You know the insurance company will only offer you blue book value for your destroyed Nox no matter what shape it was in. Perhaps you could talk to your dealer and if you are on good terms with them they will go to bat for you with GM and perhaps something can be done so you are not out of pocket a great deal.

·
Registered
127 Posts
fullcourt said:

Wholly crap fullcourt !! So glad you are ok !
Did you have GAP insurance on it ?
It will cover what the difference is from Blue book to what you actually owe on it, so no loss to you.
Hope all works out well for you. Again, I am very glad you are ok....That is most important.

Bob

·
Registered
332 Posts
Good to hear your OK and that the NOX's safety features helped you escape with only minor injuries.

Yes it's always sad when your well taken care of vehicle gets wrecked. It's one of reasons we paid for full replacement insurance on our NOX, so in an event such as this we will get a brand new one with no depreciation on the old one.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
I didn't know about full replacement car insurance. Sounds like a great idea, and it probably doesn't cost all that much.

·
Registered
332 Posts
RIT333 said:
I didn't know about full replacement car insurance. Sounds like a great idea, and it probably doesn't cost all that much.
Our "public" insurance corporation, the insurer you are required to use, offers it for the first two years of ownership. You cannot extend it past that.

The additional premium amount is based on the value of the vehicle and cost us around $40 per year based on the $34K including taxes in addition to the $1200 annually for our 2010.

This is the last year for ours. :-[

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
2010Nox said:
Our "public" insurance corporation, the insurer you are required to use, offers it for the first two years of ownership. You cannot extend it past that.

The additional premium amount is based on the value of the vehicle and cost us around $40 per year based on the $34K including taxes in addition to the $1200 annually for our 2010.

This is the last year for ours. :-[
Wow - you certainly got, or WILL get, your $40 worth. Congrats for a great investment. Wish my stock would give me that type of return.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Is this different than GAP insurance?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I thought Gap insurance was only for when one leased a vehicle and it would kick in and pay the difference between value of vehicle at time of accident and value of vehicle owed to leasing co.

·
Registered
127 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
I thought Gap insurance was only for when one leased a vehicle and it would kick in and pay the difference between value of vehicle at time of accident and value of vehicle owed to leasing co.
The Gap insurance now also cover new vehicle purchases, I have it on mine.
The change came because of the high cost of a new vehicle and the immediate depreciation in value as soon as your drive off the lot.
It is always a good move to pay a little extra for this kind of protection on a new car, then drop it when the Blue book value basically
equals what you owe on your loan.

That way if your car is stolen or totalled in an accident, they will pay off what you owe, not just Blue book value.
GM Dealer should have explained this in their sales pitch if you were financing through them....They want you to spend more with them.
I have Progressive ins co and they offer the GAP coverage at a much lower cost.

Bob

·
Registered
51 Posts
Unless I missed something, the other driver ran a red light. Therefore, his insurance pays, and is required to make you whole again.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Old Salt said:
Unless I missed something, the other driver ran a red light. Therefore, his insurance pays, and is required to make you whole again.
Making you whole, as I understand it, will provide with you with the cash to purchase a vehicle equivalent to the one you were driving i.e. a used EQ, while it sounds like his insurance will put him into a brand new 2012 Equinox, for free !

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
jenks188 said:
The Gap insurance now also cover new vehicle purchases, I have it on mine.
The change came because of the high cost of a new vehicle and the immediate depreciation in value as soon as your drive off the lot.
It is always a good move to pay a little extra for this kind of protection on a new car, then drop it when the Blue book value basically
equals what you owe on your loan.

That way if your car is stolen or totalled in an accident, they will pay off what you owe, not just Blue book value.
GM Dealer should have explained this in their sales pitch if you were financing through them....They want you to spend more with them.
I have Progressive ins co and they offer the GAP coverage at a much lower cost.

Bob
Paid cash for the difference of my trade

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is Fullcourt, the OP. Thanks all for the kind words.
It all still seems like a bad dream, until I am walking out to the 1999 Buick Century that my Aunt who should not be driving anyway loaned to me.
To Rick Tinley Park, I was listening to the radio. When I was sitting on the curb, I was confused and I tried to make a phone call, but I realized that the ignition was still on, so the bluetooth was working. I forgot that I could turn it off on my phone, so I got up and reached into the upside down car to turn off the ignition, but I however I turned the key, the radio was still playing. Finally I realized that I just had to turn off the bluetooth on my phone, but until a fireman got the keys out of the car, the radio was on.
Again, thanks for all the support, and I hope that I can have a reason (another EQ) to come back here. :)

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
fullcourt said:
This is Fullcourt, the OP. Thanks all for the kind words.
It all still seems like a bad dream, until I am walking out to the 1999 Buick Century that my Aunt who should not be driving anyway loaned to me.
To Rick Tinley Park, I was listening to the radio. When I was sitting on the curb, I was confused and I tried to make a phone call, but I realized that the ignition was still on, so the bluetooth was working. I forgot that I could turn it off on my phone, so I got up and reached into the upside down car to turn off the ignition, but I however I turned the key, the radio was still playing. Finally I realized that I just had to turn off the bluetooth on my phone, but until a fireman got the keys out of the car, the radio was on.
Again, thanks for all the support, and I hope that I can have a reason (another EQ) to come back here. :)
Glad to hear your ok Why isnt the other guys insurance putting you in a rental?? If he was cited and at fault most insurance companies would be kissing your behind I would think
Don't forget to add any and all addons you installed on the vehicle such as your hitch as it won't be on the Vin report...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts