GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 GMC Terrain SLE-2 3.6L Crystal Red Tintcoat
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a full syn. Dexos oil change at a Chevy dealer last year July 2021. Have only driven
1,000 miles since then. I am going to wait until July of 2023 to change the oil again. Was curious if anyone out there would do any different. (Yes, I am avg. only 1000-1200 mi. per year).

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you really do drive that little and want to go with that long of a time interval, I'd suggest doing at least one oil analysis to confirm the condition of the oil before letting it sit in there for 2 years at a time. Oil can still collect moisture, fuel, combustion byproducts, etc and do bad things just sitting.

Now...is it really that bad? Probably not. It is a high quality synthetic and most likely will be just fine. I mean with that low of mileage, I would have more concerns about the fuel sitting than the oil.

·
Registered
2015 Equinox LT 2.4L AWD / 2009 Torrent GT 3.4L AWD
279 Posts
I only able to put 660 miles in my 98 Safari last year, not any better in the last six years. The worst record was 215 miles a year. I have Kirkland Synthetic oil in the engine. She is old and frail but I still give her fresh oil every year. She is going to get it in May once the weather warms up a little more. I consider it is loyalty payment. I do the oil change myself so it only cost me about $35 CAD. I will keep her around until the insurance company stops insuring her because of her age.

If you insist to do an oil change every two years, I would recommend running the engine often to circulate the oil around the internal moving parts to keep the engine in good order. My old clunker gets to stretch her wheels around town at least once a week. Yeah, it is only 10 KM (6 miles) to complete the weekly run.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To clear things up, my Terrain isn't sitting for like 3 months at a time without being driven/started. It's just that after being unable to work due to my disability, when I do drive it on a weekly basis it's not very far!.

·
Registered
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,627 Posts
Main thing is to run the engine long enough to get the oil hot to drive out moisture in the engine.
At least once a month take it out on the highway and run it at least 10 miles at highway speed to get that oil hot. Idling the engine is not enough to heat things up fully. Transmisson needs that also.
Moisture is normal in an engine, short hops or running it without getting all the fluids up to operating temp. for a while is bad for it.
Oils may test fine as far as their protective qualities but even GM says change engine oils at least once a year in their manuals. The OLM in newer vehicles is now programmed to signal a change not only for mileage but time also.

Reactions: Pistol Pete

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's interesting...I'll keep a look out to see if my OLM will actually notify me in July. Just out of curiosity I did order a test kit from Blackstone labs to see what's going on with the oil.

·
Registered
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,627 Posts
I don't think a '13 has the time frame function. I believe it was '20 and newer.

·
Registered
835 Posts
My 2015 doesn't have the time frame function. The monthly Onstar report alerted me last year when it had been more than 12 months since having the OLM reset. The OLM itself still showed a decent amount of "life" left after 12-13 months. I changed the oil anyway since it had been slightly over a year.

Back in 2013 GM did issue a service campaign for the 2010-2012 4cyl Equinox and Terrains to have the OLM flashed/updated to alert owners sooner that oil changes were needed. I would imagine the updated programming was already incorporated in to the 2013+ models during production. The free update to the OLM was offered from April 2013 thru Feb 2015 for owners of 2010-2012 models.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Last I knew GM recommended a oil change at least once a year . If you don’t, your engine will rot and fall apart suffering a miserable death as the acids in the oil build up eating holes in your bearings like Swiss cheese. Or so I’ve been told.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Last I knew GM recommended a oil change at least once a year . If you don’t, your engine will rot and fall apart suffering a miserable death as the acids in the oil build up eating holes in your bearings like Swiss cheese. Or so I’ve been told.
Bring on the cheese baby!, I'm waiting until the first of next year(ish) at which point should be about 2k on the oil.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a summer only car that generally sees 1500 to 3000kms per year. I always change the oil before it is parked for the winter along with adding fuel stabilizer. I wouldn't think of going longer than 12 months without an oil change. For the cost of 5L of syn oil at 1x a year it is cheap insurance.

Reactions: JayTee2014
1 - 16 of 16 Posts