GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Sym-Tech Protection Package -- Question about original Paint finish care

17K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  gearhead 
#1 ·
We purchased the optional Sym-Tech lifetime warranty for paint, upholstery and electronic rust protection.
We're wondering if anyone else has purchased these options, specifically the paint protection, which is lifetime guaranteed to protect the basecoat, clearcoat (I think) finish.
Do we still need to wax the vehicle, or would we be wasting time and money?
Thanks in advance for any advice or feedback.

#2 ·
I can't say as I've heard too much about SymTech (I live in Canada as well - Calgary), but I know lots of people who've opted for other options paint-protection add-ons like DiamondKote, etc. Most people I've talked to seem to be reasonably satisfied with them. As far as upholstery goes, if you eat/drink a lot in your car, it can be worth it. Electronic rust protection is really only worth considering if you live in a coastal region, and even then consumer reports seems to say it's not really worth it anymore (only because the quality of paint and rust-protection out of the factory is so good these days). It does work and the basic science has been around for ages though.

The best thing you can do for paint and keeping a showroom finish is just a bit of care and wax. I've always waxed my cars/bikes and it definitely makes a huge difference in the long run. I do it a little more in my bikes because it's quicker/easier than doing a whole car, but 5 years on, my bikes still look like they belong in a showroom. Just about any 'ol wax will do - I've personally use McGuire's (just make sure your car is very clean before applying waxes. The other option is getting a body-shop to re-do the clear coat every 5 or 10 years. A friend of mine swears by this, but needless to say his 10-15 year old car looks brand new (from the outside).

But nothing's more satisfying than a nice glossy finish from an afternoon of waxing in your driveway.

#4 ·
Ya, can't beat the feeling of spending a leisurely afternoon waxing, polishing and buffing your ride!
Heck, I used to go to the extreme of using Q-Tips!

Unfortunately, time and kids don't allow that much freedom anymore, but I do like to use after market waxes, even if I have to pay someone once a year.
McGuire's definitely ranks with the best of them and many car show aficionados swear by the carnauba based waxes.

We'll see how the shine holds up through the winter with this new clear coat sealer.

BTW, thanks for the good tip scottyyyc about hitting it up with another coat of clear after 5 years or so.

#7 ·
Another important thing regarding paint maintenance - claying.

Ever noticed after you wash your car, there still seems to be just a little bit of crap or spots that don't seem to come off? If you run your hand along the surface and it doesn't feel perfectly mirror-smooth, that's where clay comes in.

If you don't know what claying is, google it, there's lots of articles and videos out there. It's an incredibly effective way to remove the crap that builds up on the surface, no matter how well/often you wash & wax. After a good claying, the surface of the paint will be truly clean and smooth. It's at that point where you should start to polish/wax. Even new cars often need a clay because they've usually been sitting around on a lot for a while. Not to mention, they were transported to the dealer on public roads, and the dealer themselves just give the car a basic pressure-wash.

The first time I clayed what I thought was a 'clean' car, I was blown away at how big a difference it immediately made.

#8 ·
Anyone here from Florida..When I get mine I'd like to find a place that does that plastic bra..They sell it on Ebay,but I would like to find a place that does it..I do not want to attempt to do it myself..Down here especially a Onynx Black that I ordered tends to accumulate love bugs and if u do not get right off with the sun and heat they can imbed themselves right into the paint..I have a fake leather bra on my Rav4 which has done a great job,but putting that big a thing on a Terrain would def detract from the look..So if anyone here might be near Orlando and maybe knows a place that would be awsome..Thanks

#9 ·
nitti48 said:
Anyone here from Florida..When I get mine I'd like to find a place that does that plastic bra..They sell it on Ebay,but I would like to find a place that does it..I do not want to attempt to do it myself..Down here especially a Onynx Black that I ordered tends to accumulate love bugs and if u do not get right off with the sun and heat they can imbed themselves right into the paint..I have a fake leather bra on my Rav4 which has done a great job,but putting that big a thing on a Terrain would def detract from the look..So if anyone here might be near Orlando and maybe knows a place that would be awsome..Thanks
I know you're asking about a bra and having it installed, but there was a thread or post here somewhere about a Member who installed a "Clear, Protective, Custom Cut" film that to me sounded like a better idea than a bra.
It was applied using heat, if I remember reading correctly.
From what I remember about the bras I used in the past (strap on and velcro type), they were always a little loose and would scratch the clear coat due to movement at higher speeds.
These were the vinyl type bras that would slip over and around the front end.
Maybe you can point to a picture of the one you're looking at?

#10 ·
SnowItch said:
Yes, there was a post, and he spent enough time on it that he wasn't sure he would do it again.

and you are right, it wasn't a bra, but was a material (perhaps 3M) that was clear and which the installer suggested that once it was complete you could barely tell that it was there.

I've seen both these "invisible shields" and a more traditional "bra" on eBay.

Have to admit that its kinda funny that I read your response to my playboy channel comment followed by a discussion on bras. This is a site about cars, right???[/color]
LOL, I was actually thinking "what's up with this Playboy and bras stuff ?" all in a matter of 2 minutes while posting in the 2 threads this morning!
:)
Sometimes threads do get veered off course, but gotta have a little humor as well, never hurt anyone right?
;)
If it gets out of hand too bad, I'm sure a Mod will let us know!

#11 ·
Yes that what I really meant was a plastic or acrilic that was applied to the front of the car but I wanted to find a place to do it rather than attempt to do it myself from what they sell on Ebay...Just a question..Thanks

#12 ·
I do understand Nitti's concern. For those of us in Florida, love bugs can do an enormous amount of damage to front end paint. They are very acidic and will eat thru paint and clearcoat if not removed quickly. They can literally cover the front end of the car and are not easy to wash off.

#13 ·
nitti48 said:
Yes that what I really meant was a plastic or acrilic that was applied to the front of the car but I wanted to find a place to do it rather than attempt to do it myself from what they sell on Ebay...Just a question..Thanks
You may want to try a Detail or Window Tint type shop?
Someone who works on customizing cars may be a good place to check as well.

A quick google search for "Florida custom car bra" yielded this result:

http://www.theinvisibra.com/invisibra_clear_car_bra.htm

Seems like they do installs as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.