GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone retrofitted the Terrain's OE headlamps with Sylvania Silverstar Ultras?
They claim a 50% increase in brightness over standard lamps.
The 9005 su is the number listed for the Terrain.
Like to hear some feedback.
:-\

Now I see that the low beam is the H11.
I've been reading that the H9 lamp can be modified to fit the H11 socket.
The H11 is rated at 55 watts versus 65 watts for the H9.
The lumen output goes from 1350 to 2100 w/ mod.
It requires an xacto knife to remove one plastic ridge on one side of the H9 lamp near the electrical pins;
the H9 lamp will then resemble the H11 configuration allowing it to fit into the H11 socket.
8)

·
Registered
830 Posts
9005 for the high beams.

H11 for the low beams and fog lights.

I don't like Sylvania's one because they only last about 6 months of normal use...

I am planning to try GE NightHawk Platinum as soon as i find them in the H11 format.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I outfitted my last car, a 2007 Civic, with Silverstar Ultras. I wouldn't say there was 50% increased output, maybe about 5%-10%. Aftermarket bulbs mostly change the temperature of the light (K) rather than output. I also think there's a bit of a fallacy that "whiter = brighter", which often isn't the case.

One thing I noticed with the Silverstars (and GE Nighthawk's as well) is that they don't last very long. Maybe a year tops. I went through 3 sets within as many years and eventually just said 'screw it' and put generic long-lasting bulbs back in. The reason why the bulbs don't last as long is because the filaments are actually behind blue-tinted bulbs, and therefore need to be over-volted just to be as bright as regular bulbs, let alone brighter. I was little ticked off when my last set died, so I called Osram (the manufacturer) and they basically confirmed they don't last long.

Frankly, in my opinion, go HID or don't waste the time/effort/money. But only put HID's into projector housings, not reflector.

·
Registered
85 Posts
grometsc said:
They do not last for every...but doesnt matter, we have H11's and HIR's do not fit this application. Maybe down the road we can expect them, but GE has not produced many of them, I know phillips has a version out now, but I think that is a 9005 series
HIR work in place of 9005 and 9006 series bulbs if you know how to make them work.

As for H11 it would be best to change to a H9.

http://www.amazon.com/Bulbzilla-Transplant-Substitutes-Everything-Performance/dp/B002Z6WXNE

·
Registered
22 Posts
Use Philips Crystal vision H11 they look like HID and they are brighter than our stock philips bulb and this is OEM like your stock way better than silverstar also made in Germany. But now Im using HID H11

·
Registered
830 Posts
SLEtrick1 said:
Use Philips Crystal vision H11 they look like HID and they are brighter than our stock philips bulb and this is OEM like your stock way better than silverstar also made in Germany. But now Im using HID H11
Where do we find them ?

(available in canada ?)

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's possible search google shopping I saw it for $30 plus shipping eBay have it also, you won't get disappointed and you don't worry anything like burning your wires because this is the same maker as your stock which is Philips its also 55watts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sylvania SilverStars are not worth the time and money. They last only about 13 months and are only warrantied for twelve. I went through two sets before learning this.

·
Registered
432 Posts
i never had issues with the silverstars in my 2 monte carlos. went through fogs like nobodies business but the headlights and high beams lasted a long time.
i am slowly starting to look for some upgrades/replacements for the terrain but im not in a huge rush i am quite impressed with the stock bulbs to be honest.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nukedog said:
HIR work in place of 9005 and 9006 series bulbs if you know how to make them work.

Have you tried this product personally? It sounds intriguing. I did some searching though and it doesn't seem like there are many options of H9 bulbs.

·
Registered
441 Posts

Have you tried this product personally? It sounds intriguing. I did some searching though and it doesn't seem like there are many options of H9 bulbs.
i did this on my first gen...all you need is set of small needle nose/dyks....cut the tab off the h9 bulbs....you dont need an adapter....

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you like the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras, but don't like that they only last under a year, get the SOLUX[/color] bulbs. They're a noticable improvement in brightness and a fair amount whiter than OEM simular to the ultras, but they don't burn out real fast. Their claim is they last as long as standard OEM bulbs. I love them!! At $50 a set for ultras, I wish I would have realized that the ultras burn out so fast. The solux are about the same price, but (according to solux) they last up to 4x longer than ultras. Oh, and they're not illegal and they're not obnoxious...just better lighting.

·
Registered
109 Posts
coming from personal experience (I put H11SU Sylvania SilverStar Ultra's in my Terrain) I can honestly say, that there is a 50% difference or more.

Personal experience:

I go to medical school in the middle of nowhere Tennessee and in order for me to shop for food, I must go into KY to Walmart....literally I live in the middle of nowhere, new medical school, doctors a doctor I can care less lol. LMU-DCOM if you're wondering where nowhere is.

Anyways, I baby my Terrain, and in my older car, I had HIDs and was very very very disappointed in the halogen lights on the Terrain. I didn't notice that they were so dim until I got a complete tint on my windows (not the front windshield)

I was driving into KY, and when coming out of the tunnel, 2 nice little deer decided to run across the road. There was no lights on the road, and I literally almost killed Bambi and his friend...literally 3 inches from my Terrain (was a little tired, studying 14 hours a day, but I seriously didn't see them until they were in the street. They took off and almost gave me a heart attack. With al this caffeine IV pushed through me daily lol.

And so I looked online, asked around, and yes, there are some good and bad things to them. They are amazing, super bright, but now, I light up the entire road and don't need to put my fog lights on anymore to feel like I could see. Granted, dark roads and an all black on black terrain tinted makes very little squeeze room for error when it comes to night time driving.

All in all, yea, they might be expensive, they might not last long (I've heard a year or more) but they seriously are bright, and the depth on them are amazing. There has been numerous times since then when deer decided to chill on the side of that road, especially right around now when it's warm, and I can see them every time, from a good enough distance not to freak out if they happen to make a leap for it.

If you buy them, make sure you wear latex gloves. I got mine from Advance Autoparts, and just asked politely if I can get some to install the lights instead of me buying a box of them, not a problem. Installation kind of sucked. My previous car had HIDs that I never needed to replace, and my 69' GTO Judge had aftermarket headlamps that were easy to pop in. Going through the wheel gap on the Terrain took some time, make sure you remember how you twisted on and off the cap, and the Phillips that it came with, the rubber parts of them didn't like to stick to the bulb itself, so I spent a hour trying to put one light back in, not realizing it didn't fit with an extra rubber seal on it lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts