GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2010, a base SRX. It does NOT have the auto-dimming rear view mirror. I want to retro fit a unit and noticed a lot of mirrors available on eBay or other sources.

I wonder how difficult is it for me to remove the old mirror and install the replacement. The large black bezel located behind the mirror and on the windshield appears daunting, and my SRX does NOT have a moonroof.

Any suggestion on swapping these out??

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's a five minute job to swap out the rearview mirror. You usually just loosen the set screw (#10 Torx bit I believe) which holds the mirror base on the metal wedge which is glued onto the windshield. You slide the mirror up off the wedge after you have disconnected the electrical harness which is at the back of the mirror. You might have a plastic trim piece or two which covers the wires if they go up into the headliner. Those trim pieces usually just pull off.

Biggest thing is to make sure you have the power wire for the auto dim feature. You would have to see how many wires you have behind the mirror now, and compare that with how many wires are on the auto dim mirror. Sometimes the mirrors on eBay have part of the harness still on the mirror and you can compare the wires in the picture.

I replaced the mirror in our Traverse with a mirror with a compass built in. It was a plug and play exchange since I had all the wires already in the harness. Search the Traverse board for "Adding Compass" or something along that line to see pictures and a write up.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The screw is an allen head, at least it was on 08 models.

I did just that to my Grand Prix. The wire you need is likely not there, but there is a way to 'fix' the dimming mirror.

It involves soldering the 'dimming' power to the rest of the power feeds in the back of the mirror. I'll see if I can find the instructions for that.

Edited to add: can't find the link on the ClubGPforum web site.
I guess they don't go back that far.
It's a little involved but do-able. From memory.

You have to compare the male plugs on both mirrors and find out which pin is missing on old mirror.

Also, use a probe to find the 'power in' that's ON when the ignition is on. There may be a battery power in as well so make sure the power is OFF when ignition switch is off and on when the switch is on.
Figure out which pin on old mirror that that wire feeds. The pin that's there on the new mirror that's right next to the 'power in' pin is the one for dimming.
I used a single strand of wire from a multi strand auto wire to bridge those two pins. I twisted it around the two a couple of times and pushed then to the back of the pins. I then soldered that wire to those two pins. A small but hot soldering tool is what's best.
That gave me a mechanical connection as well as an electric one. I'm not great at soldering.

If anyone has the link or a better explanation, please jump in. The harness is what's different, and it's real expensive to change that.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Just checked my post over on the Traverse board, and it was a T-20 Torx which was used to remove the mirror. Your model may vary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts