GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
No, I was just at the dealer and he looked up the schematic for the radio and the XM chip is now inside the radio. I was looking to change it to Sirius also, XM signal is really bad where I live!! I was hoping the SIRGM2L would work with the Terrain but no luck!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well we didn't actually find the internal radio schematics. We were looking at all the wriring going to and from the radio and to all related components. Then we read in one of the circuit descriptions that the XM chip is located inside the radio unit. Should have made that a bit clearer. Sorry about that!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
They use different satellites, the surius ones are higher, I live in Newfoundland Canada, as far east in North America as you can get, and sirius is the only reliable service that we can get here. If you find some upgrade porst please let us know!! I am still waiting on my Terrain to be delivered! just trying to get ready!!! :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SnowItch said:
The head unit is an Alpine. That is interesting that your dealer found the schematics. Back to the dealer...
why does it say Pioneer on it?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SnowItch said:
Thinking about this a little further. Doesn't Sirius use a different antenna than XM?

I'm actually surprised that reception for one service would be better than the other at a certain location. I was under the impression that both services used satellites located in the Southern horizon.
The antenna will work but you have to use an adapter in the end.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
brisket_lover said:
why does it say Pioneer on it?
Hmm, good question!

·
Registered
635 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Right from the Terrain Brochure

Pioneer® premium 250-watt 8-speaker sound system

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was just on the Pioneer website and emailed them the question what can be done to switch these radios over? I'll post the reply here as soon as I receive something.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
SnowItch said:
The speakers and Digital Processor are Pioneer. The head unit is Alpine.
I guess we need to break down the major components to clarify who makes what.
Let's take the 250 Watt Pioneer Option with the 7" LCD Display in front and 2 x 8" LCD displays in the back for starters.
We can assume that built/assembled by is either Pioneer or Alpine, for starters, even though they surely have integrated parts from third party suppliers (e.g. Pioneer is not going to build RCA , 3.5mm or USB connectors, they're buying them from someone else and assembling them, let's just assume that to keep it relatively simple...LOL).

Essentially we have:

Audio Processor/Amplifier/Speakers = built/assembled by ?
AM/FM/XM Tuner = built/assembled by ?
CD/DVD Player = built/assembled by ?
Navigation System = built/assembled by ?
OnStar Controller = built/assembled by ?
BlueTooth Controller = built/assembled by ?
HDD = built/assembled by ?
LCD Displays front and rear (plus inputs for rear) = built/assembled by ?
USB/Aux/iPOD inputs controller = built/assembled by ?
Something to control/distribute all of this (shall we call this the HEAD UNIT) = built/assembled by ?

I think this may help to clarify things, although it just confused the heck out of me!
LOL!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
SnowItch said:
http://automotiverhythms.com/archive/coolconversions/fw_AlpineGM.php

and an announcement from Alpine

http://www.alpine-usa.com/company/naias/2009/alpine-electronics-supplies-2-gb-flash-memory-infotainment-unit-for-2010-gm-vehicles/

I just looked at the Pioneer site for the 5th time. Quote for me off the Pioneer site were they say they make the head unit. Don't you think that if they made the head unit that the site would have mentioned it (perhaps when they were showing the picture of the DSP)?
gearhead said:
I guess we need to break down the major components to clarify who makes what.
Let's take the 250 Watt Pioneer Option with the 7" LCD Display in front and 2 x 8" LCD displays in the back for starters.
We can assume that built/assembled by is either Pioneer or Alpine, for starters, even though they surely have integrated parts from third party suppliers (e.g. Pioneer is not going to build RCA , 3.5mm or USB connectors, they're buying them from someone else and assembling them, let's just assume that to keep it relatively simple...LOL).

Essentially we have:

Audio Processor/Amplifier/Speakers = built/assembled by ?
AM/FM/XM Tuner = built/assembled by ?
CD/DVD Player = built/assembled by ?
Navigation System = built/assembled by ?
OnStar Controller = built/assembled by ?
BlueTooth Controller = built/assembled by ?
HDD = built/assembled by ?
LCD Displays front and rear (plus inputs for rear) = built/assembled by ?
USB/Aux/iPOD inputs controller = built/assembled by ?
Something to control/distribute all of this (shall we call this the HEAD UNIT) = built/assembled by ?

I think this may help to clarify things, although it just confused the heck out of me!
LOL!
Thanks SnowItch.
I must have still been typing while you were posting.
Looks like Alpine ties it all together quite nicely!!

So I guess we could say Pioneer does the audio tuner and other audio input processing, amplification and speakers.
Alpine does the rest.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Okay Alpine makes the head unit. I was influenced by the plethora of Pioneer badges and the Website where they tout the system.
Thanks for clearing that up Sno.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good find, hopefully we find a way to get Sirius and I don't have to use my PnP forever.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have XM and love it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
My thought exactly Sno!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well like I said before, the reception here on the east coast is crap with XM, also when I was talking to the rep from XM he also told me that there are lots of places on the west coast that lose reception also. The sirius satellite is higher in the sky so the recption is much better.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm still waiting on a reply from Pioneer to see if there is any addons to their part of the system to make Sirius available to us. Haven't heard a sound from them. That's probably not a good sign!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Are you out of the area described in the XM footprint?

The footprint from the XM Radio satellites extend approximately from Mexico City, Mexico to more than a couple hundred miles into Canada and approximately 100 miles off both the east and west coasts. This allows people travelling into Canada or Mexico to enjoy uninterrupted coverage.

http://satelliteradio.digitalinsurrection.com/xmradio/xm_radio.php

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts