GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find out if the Equinox was built with the provisions (from the steering column to the underhood fusebox) that would allow swapping the combo switch (light/signal stalk WITH the foglight band) and headlights wiring harness for a "With Foglamps" vehicle into the 1LT. I'm not sure if using the 2010 wire harness/combo switch would work to complete a 'factory' installation of foglights on a 1LT.

First, I'm wondering if the harness/switch would even be able to work; is the vehicle generally preconfigured to HAVE foglights, but trim level (LS/1LT vs. 2LT/LTZ) dictates the different harness/switch that is installed? I ask, because my 2011 1LT's underhood fuse box HAS the micro-relay (#65 in the manual-Fog Lights) but I'm not sure how to test if it's live or just a placeholder (it looks identical to the other micro-relays for such things as starter/engine control/etc).

Second, is there any difference in part numbers from '10 to '11 on the "with foglights" harness and switch? The only sources I've found for the parts refer to 2010 model diagrams, but don't give part numbers. So far, I've found NO sources that have as extensive listings of diagrams/parts lists for 2011 vehicles.

The only response I've gotten from local dealerships has been contradictory- one dealer service dept. referred me to their parts guy who said there's no kit, and can't find part numbers so it would be a no-go since the part numbers from '10 to '11 must be different (it didn't seem like he did a heckuva lot of searching though). Another dealership said they could do the install with the light harness and combo switch (plus bezels/lights obviously) in roughly an hour (dubious timing, but possible). If this method is possible, I'd prefer to go this route than drilling a hole in the dash and putting an aftermarket switch/wiring in the vehicle.

Any help/ideas would be helpful! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I can look into the harness situation BUT if the vehicle was built without fog lamps I'm 99.9% sure the BCM wasn't programmed for them IE if you are trying to do a factory retrofit they wont work; let me see what I can dig up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks GTPprix...I was sorta hoping you'd be able to chime in on this given your programming prowess...

EDIT: Okay, so far, in checking PN's, 20826696 comes up as this: Front lamps - Headlamp components - Harness - 2.4 liter
W/fog lamps 2010. (This description is listed as coming from the Collision Catalog). It also comes up as: Harness W/remote start. (Listed as OEM Catalog). I can't yet find any part number as listing as 2011 yet.

As for the switch, that comes up as: 25980456 Electrical - Chassis electrical - Switches - Turn signal switch
Turn signal switch, equinox, w/fog lamps 2010 - 2011 (listed as Mechanical Catalog).

My selling dealer's parts guy says he came up with four different harness options depending on motor and other features for 2011 Equinox. He also said the BCM would have to be CHANGED, not merely reprogrammed.

Apparently, this is probably going to be a non-starter...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, too bad nobody has any further info on this...

A buddy of mine did some digging while I was TDY from Jan-Mar, and his parts guru got part numbers for the Equinox with fogs:

"Here are the part #'s I came up with for the 2011 Equinox with RPO code T96 (fog lamps)

QTY part # description retail price
2 10335108 fog lamp $ 115.45 each
1 20847185 LH fog lamp bezel $ 47.66
1 20847186 RH fog lamp bezel $ 47.66
1 20880858 forward lamp harness $ 122.70
1 25980456 headlamp switch with fog lamps $ 64.21"

All the parts can be had online at a few sources for MUCH less. His parts person did NOT have an answer from the service folks at the dealer she works for regarding BCM reprogramming- and so far, I've not gotten any response definitively either. One local dealer says it can be done, give 'em an hour and a half; my selling dealer says it's a no go.

Does anyone here know if the BCM needs reprogramming, and if so, what should I be telling a dealer service dept. to do? The lamps themselves are in place, I just haven't pulled the trigger on the switch/harness pending some further info on the BCM issue. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
This is a dilemma I've seen many times, and I think it's a shame that GM made the decision to force buyers to go up two trim levels just to get such a basic safety item like foglights. Having said that, on another Equinox forum that I used to frequent there is a contributing poster that works at the CAMI assembly plant....he says that the LS/LT1 Nox has a different wiring harness than the LT2/LTZ models. What this means is that even with all of the correct parts there is no easy way to add working foglights to a model that didn't come from the factory with them. There is a thread here somewhere showing a step by step process to add working foglights...but the "switch" was not factory, and mounted under the steering column with double sided tape. As far as a BCM re-programming goes, I don't think it was mentioned in that thread..and probably isn't needed since the added fogs are independent of the other lighting.

If it were me, (I have an LT2 with fogs already) I would gather all the necessary parts and either let the dealer service department install everything, or do the relatively easy part (install the bezels/lamps yourself) and then let the dealer service department or an auto shop that does electronics handle the wiring/stalk install.

·
Registered
978 Posts
vhmike73 said:
Well, too bad nobody has any further info on this...
BTW...and...FWIW...

Anyone who is thinking about this Modification should wait a few days.

It was brought to my attention on this Forum, that LT1's sold in Canada can be "optioned"
for OEM Fogs...

After some research, I have confirmed that the "Dash Harness" which connects the "Multi-Function" switch to the "Underhood Fuse Box" is indeed installed in our LT1.

This means that swapping your "Non-Fog" Multi-Function Switch for a "Fog equipped" Multi-Function switch is "Plug and Play"...in addition, in our LT1 the Under Hood Fuse Box also already has the Fog Relay and Fog Fuse installed at the Factory.

I took apart part of the front facia yesterday searching for and hoping to find the Forward Body Harness with the Fog Lamp Connectors already in place. I figured if GM went that far with the dash harness...maybe the forward harness is there also.

But I ran out of time and had to put it back together.

Next step is to pull the entire bumper off to look for the Fog Lamp connectors.

I already ordered the Multi-Function Switch and Forward Body Harness...
Still waiting for those to arrive.

When the harness gets here...I'll pull off the front end and look for the connectors...if they are there...great...if not I can install the harness I ordered.

Caveat: Even when done...the BCM will have to be programmed for the T96 RPO (Fog Lamp option) feature in order to power up the lamps when the new Multi-Function switch is installed.

So...more to come...but it's looking REALLY promising for an OEM install on a USA LT1

·
Registered
4 Posts
After reading this post I ordered some of the parts myself, the front bezels and lights as well as the stalk... have you successfuly completed this install? DId the programing of the BCM allow you to see the light? Was the the possibility of installing factory Fog Lamps into a 2011 LT 1 as easy as it appeared, Help
I'm ready to go but any info would be appreciated. Thx...

·
Registered
978 Posts
jomac said:
After reading this post...
Me?

I am so close...it hurts

Work schedule and weather are between me and the final answer. But I am now completely confident it can be done.

The bezels and lamp housings = installed
The Multi-Function switch = installed and working on all other functions
The dash wiring from Multi-Function switch to Underhood fuse box = confirmed as in place
Flashing the BCM for OEM Fogs = confirmed at 2 dealers = piece of cake
I have in my possession the Forward Body Harness = need time :banghead:

more info and a "how to thread" coming

Edit: The forward body harness IS needed on a 2011 1LT Nox production date 1/11

·
Registered
978 Posts
Just one more thing...

Please realize I have invested quite some time and $$$$ on this...I would suggest waiting to be sure it's going to work before you spend $$$$ on things that may not pan out.

I'm pretty confident (over 98%)....but it ain't over till the fat lady sings :hilarious:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are there any instructions for putting the fog lamp switch in on the steering column? I have everything done except that. I put in lamps, bezel, relay, and ran a wire under dash for cut-off of lamps. I really would like to add the switch to my turn signal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
MOCHANOX said:
Just one more thing...

Please realize I have invested quite some time and $$$$ on this...I would suggest waiting to be sure it's going to work before you spend $$$$ on things that may not pan out.

I'm pretty confident (over 98%)....but it ain't over till the fat lady sings :hilarious:
I'm waiting... can I breathe yet?

·
Registered
978 Posts
ZEquinox said:
:hilarious: Dang I know...my face is already turning blue

·
Registered
978 Posts
Dingaling said:
Are there any instructions for putting the fog lamp switch in on the steering column? I have everything done except that. I put in lamps, bezel, relay, and ran a wire under dash for cut-off of lamps. I really would like to add the switch to my turn signal.
Sorry but I am confused by your question.

Are you replacing the OEM Multi-function switch w/o Fog to one with Fog...
Or are you putting in your own button/switch
I am confused because you say you...

Dingaling said:
and ran a wire under dash for cut-off of lamps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. My Equinox did not come with fog lamps. I have bought the fog lights and bezel, and have already installed them. I connected to the low, or driving light wire just above the fog lamp for my feed wire. Then I went straight to the battery with a fuse in-between for my power to the relay. I also broke the connection to the driving light wire and went through the firewall for my pushbutton switch to turn the fog lamps off and on. I am wondering if I bought the turn signal switch with the fog lamp option in it and replaced the switch that did not have the fog lamp option, how hard is it to replace the switch. The way I understand, it is just a plug-in item.
Thanks for understanding.
I also purchased the chrome covers that go on the tail lights. They look good.
David

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
Dingaling said:
I also purchased the chrome covers that go on the tail lights. They look good.
David
I never saw the chrome taillight covers. Can you pls post pictures when installed ?

·
Registered
978 Posts
RIT333 said:
I never saw the chrome taillight covers. Can you pls post pictures when installed ?
These may be what he has...
>>>CLICK ME<<<

Picture expands...how...depends on your browser

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
Dingaling said:
My Equinox did not come with fog lamps. I have bought the fog lights and bezel, and have already installed them...

David
Ok, well there is no way I know of that you can install the OEM Multi-Function switch and then fabricate a "pin" to connect to your wires and then install those "pin/s" into the OEM switch's hard shell connector...and this is why.

On the Nox...the BCM completes a ground circuit when the OEM switch is "activated"/rotated to turn on the fogs. The action of rotating the switch to turn on the fogs sends a momentary signal to the BCM. The BCM then completes the ground circuit within the Underhood Fuse Box @ the relay.

I think you are thinking you can just supply a lead to one of the "hard shell" connector slots and have that activate your battery connection to the fogs.

I don't see any way to make that work since the OEM switch only sends a momentary signal.

Edit: The other thing you need to know about the OEM switch is...it is spring loaded...in other words when you rotate it to tell the BCM to activate fogs...it springs back to it's "rest" position. It is NOT a click switch that "stays" in an "On" or "Off" position...so you rotate and release for "On" and rotate and release for "Off".

You might have better luck following some of the results in the following thread...

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=1348.msg28925;topicseen#top

·
Registered
978 Posts
ZEquinox said:
Ok...well I'm really online right now to answer your question...I just came in from following the Forward Body Harness on both sides...

All the reports from the CAMI plant employee and others are correct...the fog lamp connectors are definately NOT part of my harness (production date 1/2011)

So good thing I bought the harness and from what I was able to discern today...the front facia absolutely has to come off to swap out the harnesses.

Hope this helps

I have some more work ahead of me but at least I have everything I need and the only 2 things left to do is install the harness and flash the BCM

Let me know if I can help further...I have some front end diagrams I can scan and post if you are interested...basically 2 views of the front facia...one shows the "basic" route of the forward harness (it's from a 2LT so it shows the fog connectors) and the other is an exploded view of the front facia...

Ok...you can breath now... :cheers:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Dingaling said:
how hard is it to replace the switch. The way I understand, it is just a plug-in item.
Yes the switch is extremely easy to replace/install...it's a 10 minute job.

First lower your tilt wheel ALL the way. Then extend the wheel ALL the way toward you.
Under the steering column is a Torx screw (sorry I forgot the size)...remove the screw.
You will see three "clips" running along side of the screw you removed.
Using a "mini" screw driver release the 3 clips.
Start the engine and rotate the steering wheel 90 degrees to the left...exactly 90 degrees off center.
Shut the engine off and make sure the steering wheel is still 90 degrees off center.
Take your "mini" screw driver and insert it into the "split" on the left side of the shroud. Releasing all clips carefully. Repeat for the "split" on the right side of the shroud.
Lift up on the upper shroud section till it clears the switch.
To lower the left side of the shroud you will need to remove another Torx screw.
This screw becomes visable when you lift the top shroud section.
This is why you rotate the steering wheel 90 degrees to the left. You won't see or have access to the screw until the top shroud is lifted and the steering wheel is rotated.
There are 2 clips on the switch...one on top...one on the bottom.
Depress each clip with your mini screw driver and gently pull the switch out. DO NOT PULL TO HARD OR FAST because once you have it in your hand you will need to unplug the hard shell connector.
This connector is friction fit...no clips...just pull it out.
Installing new switch is just the reverse

I can post pics if anyone needs them

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
Just curious, how total $ does it cost to install factory Fogs with the correct switch/harness ? (w/o labor)

THX

1 - 20 of 94 Posts