·
Registered
2018 Terrain Denali 2.0T FWD
204 Posts
Water/coolant in the oil?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Condensation, Its normal if you are in a very cold area or high humidity or do lots of short trips. Long runs at high temps usually flash off any residual moisture in the lube system. Daughters 2014 Malibu like that often she makes lots of short trips, Real Estate Agent

·
Registered
2015 Equinox LT 2.4L AWD
147 Posts
It is normal if your driving involves a lot of short trips. Once in a while take her out on the highway for a good run and get the car battery recharged as well.

·
Registered
2012 GMC Terrian 2.4L 125k Miles
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Water/coolant in the oil?
That's was my fear but @IABill was spot on with my local weather and recent driving habits.

Condensation, Its normal if you are in a very cold area or high humidity or do lots of short trips. Long runs at high temps usually flash off any residual moisture in the lube system.

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
950 Posts
If it comes out like that or your losing coolant that's bad. You should switch to a fc219 vented oil cap... Just with all the moisture in the oil if that crankcase vent hose freezes and no vented cap it could be catastrophic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it comes out like that or your losing coolant that's bad. You should switch to a fc219 vented oil cap... Just with all the moisture in the oil if that crankcase vent hose freezes and no vented cap it could be catastrophic.
This was the problem with my 4 cyl. Blew 2 rear seals before getting a vented cap and never had the issue again, even after continuing short trips in cold MN weather.

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
950 Posts
Yea good idea, the transmission fill cap I'm pretty sure came standard as a vented cap.... Idk. Either way a transmission service and new vented cap along with your fresh oil and cap would be nice. At least make sure the stock trans filler cap is clean. They can get blocked the vent hole is tiny.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Trans cap should not be an issue. There are no combustion byproducts like water vapor in the trans like in the engine itself.

Reactions: christopherlompoc

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
But there is a vent to atmosphere on most automatic transmissions and even some differentials that allow for pressure release whether is be temperature increase or atmospheric pressure changes.
In fact, the GM 8 speed transmissions were plagued by this since the original fluid that was used was hydroscopic and could absorb moisture from humidity in ambient air.
The result was a often chronic "shudder" and Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) failure until GM finally resolved it. . for the most part . . . my having Mobil develop a fluid that was not so susceptible to absorbing moisture since the transmissions are not air or water tight due to their integral vent port.

·
Registered
3 Posts
[
I have a 2015 GMC Terrain with the 2.4L motor, it has 78k miles. I have maintained this vehicle throughout. Yesterday, in single degree weather the rear main seal blew. My mechanic found Bulletin 14882 and referred me to the GMC dealership I had bought it from. First, they denied a problem, I told them about the bulletin. When Steve came back to the phone, he said he found it and said there was no coverage for this problem.

I explained that there are many cases found easily on the internet and even a Lemon Lawsuit. He just deflected. He gave me the GM Assist 800 462 8782, the lady was pleasant enough, when I asked if GM was going to stand behind their defect, she deferred me to her manager, saying that I would get a call back in 1 – 2 days. Meanwhile the car sits leaking in the driveway.

Any ideas on how we can join together to make some noise and get some attention?

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
950 Posts
GM needs to create a shortcut for the main seal. If the oil pan is removed you can see the rear main. I bet with some finess and c shaped pump wedge you could easily pop it back in. Would take a couple hours.
Sleeve Font Sportswear T-shirt Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
950 Posts
GM fix for that problem was the vented cap, its crazy because I've heard of some cars have it and some don't. Maybe it's the trim level or something but they had several lawsuits around 2013 and responded with free work and the vented cap. It's a shame that a 2015 probably didn't come with the cap and free work it only covers like 2014 or older.

, saying that I would get a call back in 1 – 2 days.
Those numbers are literally set up to give most customers probably 90% just a run around to get people off the phone... GM customer service is literally the best because they are well trained at the runaround... I worked customer service on the phone for about 10 years and literally I'm guessing they said nicely " is there anything else I can help you with today?" If so you were given the runaround. Management will most likely never contact you.

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
950 Posts
Trans cap should not be an issue.
That is true but I have a 2010 with the 2.4 and I had so much crud on the inside and outside of the cap that there is no way it was venting. Ive heard horror stories of axle seals blowing out of nowhere... I would just make sure its not all funky. That is the overflow/ vent. On the v6 I think there is a actual dipstick with a separate hidden vent hole. I have had other older cars actually vent and leave a trail of trans fluid from nowhere to be found. On the ecotec 2.4 with the smaller transmission I believe that is where it releases ECT.... What if the hole is clogged? Probably most likely nothing at all. Cleaning the cap once every few years just prevents something bad from happening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
GM fix for that problem was the vented cap, its crazy because I've heard of some cars have it and some don't. Maybe it's the trim level or something but they had several lawsuits around 2013 and responded with free work and the vented cap. It's a shame that a 2015 probably didn't come with the cap and free work it only covers like 2014 or older.

Those numbers are literally set up to give most customers probably 90% just a run around to get people off the phone... GM customer service is literally the best because they are well trained at the runaround... I worked customer service on the phone for about 10 years and literally I'm guessing they said nicely " is there anything else I can help you with today?" If so you were given the runaround. Management will most likely never contact you.
That they do. Done with GM

1 - 20 of 21 Posts