GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I had a sunroof put in on my Terrain (it was an identical installation that would've happened at the factory; same mold, etc.). Question for those of you have sunroofs. Does your roof automatically close on its own when you open the driver's door? I believe that whether the key is in or out of the ignition, once the the door opens the sunroof closes. I don't always want that to happen. Is there a way to override that feature?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I don't have an answer to your question since I don't have the sunroof, but I am very curious how much getting a sunroof installed after the fact would cost. :eek: I can imagine that not only the labor for cutting out the roof panel, but also the cost of the sunroof itself, the new headliner and associated wiring/switches must have cost a pretty penny..

·
Registered
144 Posts
The sunroof stays open. Had it open yesterday, left the car parked and it stayed open.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I paid approx $1000 to have the actual factory roof installed.

I guess I should be contacting the dealer or salesman to find out why this is happening for me only. Thank you for the input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
franmorr1966 said:

I guess I should be contacting the dealer or salesman to find out why this is happening for me only. Thank you for the input.
Definitely. I've left mine open for the past couple of days to keep my car cool when I go inside a store or the gym. It doesn't shut automatically

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
franmorr1966 said:

Wow..that's not as much as I thought it would be. Not a bad deal considering it's factory original. (other than the magic closing feature)

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
NoobNox said:
Wow..that's not as much as I thought it would be. Not a bad deal considering it's factory original. (other than the magic closing feature)
I suspect it doesn't have the rolled-metal around the opening the way a factory roof is stemped for the sunroof, but it will have a piece of moulding around the edge. You can ALWAYS tell a non-factory sunroof. Thta is not to say it isn't as good - just a different installation process.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm thinking it isn't a "factory" sunroof. If it wasn't put in at the factory, it's an aftermarket one. The dealership I worked for back in 03 use to put them in models that wouldn't come with them from the factory (without getting a higher trim package or a bunch of other crap people didn't want). They looked exactly like the factory units but they weren't. Most had features like the one your refering to (auto close feature) that also wasn't available on the factory unit. They were a pretty good deal since people didnt have to pony up for a higher trim level just to be able to get them. I never heard of any problems with them either and they always came with a warranty too.

·
Registered
978 Posts
RIT333 said:
I suspect it doesn't have the rolled-metal around the opening the way a factory roof is stemped for the sunroof, but it will have a piece of moulding around the edge. You can ALWAYS tell a non-factory sunroof. Thta is not to say it isn't as good - just a different installation process.
hirolln said:
I'm thinking it isn't a "factory" sunroof. If it wasn't put in at the factory, it's an aftermarket one. The dealership I worked for back in 03 use to put them in models that wouldn't come with them from the factory (without getting a higher trim package or a bunch of other crap people didn't want). They looked exactly like the factory units but they weren't. Most had features like the one your refering to (auto close feature) that also wasn't available on the factory unit. They were a pretty good deal since people didnt have to pony up for a higher trim level just to be able to get them. I never heard of any problems with them either and they always came with a warranty too.
Both of you are hitting the nail directly on the head !!!

There is an extremely good chance the sunroof is made by ASC...not only what franmorr1966 had installed...but what Chevy installs during assembly

Even so...what is installed at the factory and what is installed after the sale has to be different...some of the parts may be identical, but not all.

ASC has made and sold directly to Detroit for decades...even been part of the manufacture process

No manufacturer makes ALL their own parts...

For more interesting data on ASC...click on the following link...

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/a/asc/asc.htm

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
MOCHANOX said:
Both of you are hitting the nail directly on the head !!!

There is an extremely good chance the sunroof is made by ASC.
Exactly - I have an ASC in my '98 Maxima and it has auto-close. It is still going strong. I had to replace a lift-kit in it, but I love it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
We're not "bashing you" franmorr1966...

You probably have a sunroof from the same company as OEM factory install

but

It's 99.99% impossible to have...

franmorr1966 said:
I had a sunroof put in on my Terrain (it was an identical installation that would've happened at the factory; same mold, etc.).
franmorr1966 said:
The great news is....what you DO have is probably going to last the life of your Terrain

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MOCHANOX said:
We're not "bashing you" franmorr1966...

You probably have a sunroof from the same company as OEM factory install

but

It's 99.99% impossible to have...

The great news is....what you DO have is probably going to last the life of your Terrain
Well thanks for saying that. The salesman told me that the same piece of machinery that installed the roof at the factory is the same as the one I was getting--same dimensions, same little lift out piece wind deflector that pops up. Hey, you're probably all right that maybe it isn't *exactly* the same. It does have a lifetime guarantee. And since you're all feeling the auto close feature is the biggest clue that the roof isn't quite like the factory, then again you all may be right. I'm waiting to hear what the salesman has to say. I haven't gone to the dealership, just emailed him. I'll post what the outcome is. Thanks everybody.

Fran

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
franmorr1966 said:
Well thanks for saying that. The salesman told me that the same piece of machinery that installed the roof at the factory is the same as the one I was getting--same dimensions, same little lift out piece wind deflector that pops up. Hey, you're probably all right that maybe it isn't *exactly* the same. It does have a lifetime guarantee. And since you're all feeling the auto close feature is the biggest clue that the roof isn't quite like the factory, then again you all may be right. I'm waiting to hear what the salesman has to say. I haven't gone to the dealership, just emailed him. I'll post what the outcome is. Thanks everybody.

Fran
I'm going to take a picture, tomorrow, of what the roof looks like from the inside, but I haven't figured out how to post a pic directly into a post.

·
Registered
978 Posts
franmorr1966 said:
I'm going to take a picture, tomorrow, of what the roof looks like from the inside, but I haven't figured out how to post a pic directly into a post.
When you download the pic to your PC (or laptop) and are ready to post it...

Write your comment/s in the reply box like normal....then...below the black box you will see in white letters...the following...

"Additional Options... "

Place your mouse cursor over those words and "left click"...
You will then see...

"Attach: ____________________ [browse] (more attachments)

Click on "browse"...find your picture and attach...
If you want to add more than 1 picture...click over the (more attachments) and another "Attach" box will appear

Max of 3 photos per reply...

When you see pictures attached this way on the forum...they appear small...but if you click on them...and the user has attached a picture with a large size format...the pictures will expand

When you are trying to show detail to us...a large file will show more detail and expand bigger

FWIW...a large picture on a forum is usually around 1000 pixels wide (plus or minus)
Different folks will have different opinions about file size...but...if you attach something which is too small (like 250 pixels wide)...we won't be able to discern detail

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MOCHANOX said:
When you download the pic to your PC (or laptop) and are ready to post it...

Write your comment/s in the reply box like normal....then...below the black box you will see in white letters...the following...

"Additional Options... "

Place your mouse cursor over those words and "left click"...
You will then see...

"Attach: ____________________ [browse] (more attachments)

Click on "browse"...find your picture and attach...
If you want to add more than 1 picture...click over the (more attachments) and another "Attach" box will appear

Max of 3 photos per reply...

When you see pictures attached this way on the forum...they appear small...but if you click on them...and the user has attached a picture with a large size format...the pictures will expand

When you are trying to show detail to us...a large file will show more detail and expand bigger

FWIW...a large picture on a forum is usually around 1000 pixels wide (plus or minus)
Different folks will have different opinions about file size...but...if you attach something which is too small (like 250 pixels wide)...we won't be able to discern detail
Hi Mocha...thanks for the thorough instructions. :) I tried loading up a sample pic of my truck last night, but it was too large, and I'd reduced the picture size so much in "Paint", under 1000 K and I STILL couldn't load it up. I'm going to try again in the next post with the sunroof pics.

·
Registered
978 Posts
You may need to reduce the file size to about 100Kb if you have the software to do that

Nevermind...you got it !!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MOCHANOX said:
You may need to reduce the file size to about 100Kb if you have the software to do that
I did it!

And I'd like to know what that piece of something..wood is it...that's jammed in the sunroof. I didn't see it taking the picture and I'm noticing it now that I enlarged the photo.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Great pics !!! and they expand nicely TO A VERY LARGE SIZE !!!

That is a piece of what is called OSB...or Oriented Strand Board...wood shavings pressed and glued together make a very strong and inexpensive wood product (very much like plywood...but different)

I have seen OSB used as a headliner backing material...makes an excellant "base" material to adhere the cloth to...is also often used for "shimming" door and window frames in home installations.

It is had to imagine a shim being needed at the location in the picture (but maybe)...I would try to see if it comes out easily...it may be a piece of leftover headliner

if there is any effort at all...you should inquire first

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for taking the time to explain, Mocha. I'm sure RIT will point out definitively that I do not have a "factory" sunroof. I'm still going to investigate if there's a way to undo the auto shut feature.

:)

Fran

1 - 20 of 27 Posts