GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new, first post. A lot of great info here thank you. I have a 2013 sle2 that I just unhooked the center speaker and upgraded the pioneers with Polk db351, I want more sound and a better thump! I have looked through a lot of posts but don’t find my answer.
How do I hook an amp and upgrade my subwoofer without messing with the ANC or any other factory bells and whistles?

Thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just tap your rear speakers for a signal.Send them to an LOC and run the RCA's to your amp.Pop the B-pillars and on the driver's side look for the brown and yellow wires.On passenger side look for light blue and dark blue.

Yellow -
Brown +

Light blue -
Dark blue +

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. A couple more questions and please forgive me if these seem silly. would I need a line out converter for each rear speaker? If so that’s going to mean 2 rca cables to my amp, or do I simply extend speaker wires to a single LOC near my amp?

I was wanting to use the factory Sub location for a new subwoofer, if I remover and replace the factory sub will that then screw up the ANC? I’m not really wanting to give up any space to add another sub enclosure and I am not looking to have something very noticeable

I saw the harness that was sold on this site that plugs into the factory amp with line outs built in I really like that idea if I keep everything working and I can switch out the factory sub

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Thank you. A couple more questions and please forgive me if these seem silly. would I need a line out converter for each rear speaker? If so that’s going to mean 2 rca cables to my amp, or do I simply extend speaker wires to a single LOC near my amp?

I was wanting to use the factory Sub location for a new subwoofer, if I remover and replace the factory sub will that then screw up the ANC? I’m not really wanting to give up any space to add another sub enclosure and I am not looking to have something very noticeable

I saw the harness that was sold on this site that plugs into the factory amp with line outs built in I really like that idea if I keep everything working and I can switch out the factory sub

Actually, quite a few threads here on this. . . give me a bit and I will edit and list a few. . especially one that shows how to do exactly what you want.

Also, you do not need and LOC for just a sub woofer. And I would tie into the front door speakers rather than the rear since the rears have a limited range lower level signal. The front door speakers are full range and have a healthy signal level.

Here is a wiring diagram showing front door speaker colors and connections to the head amp.

http://www.equinoxforum.net/32-audio-video-nav/9109-fitting-10-sub-stock-sub-enclosure.html

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=9829.0

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=16978.0

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=14138.0

http://www.equinoxforum.net/32-audio-video-nav/10887-2015-sle-2-w-pioneer-sub-replacement.html

http://www.equinoxforum.net/15-marketplace/10873-sold-2010-2017-equinox-terrain-10-stealthbox

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
I wouldn't tap front speakers for a signal to your subwoofer amp.Not a good idea unless you feel like amplifying ANC waves,door chimes,Bluetooth,factory beeps etc....
This thread is also a good read for the OP . . I think you have read through it. Very long. . . but along the way lot's of valuable details even if you do not do a complete tear down as this member did.
http://www.equinoxforum.net/32-audi...15-equinox-large-system-build-ces-2016-a.html

First . .. ANC only goes to the factory sub woofer in a 4 cylinder . . . and that is all the sub is used for in 2010 to 2017 2.4L Equinox or Terrain . . unless it is the 8 speaker Bose. And, again, the ANC does not use the front door speakers.

See direct quote from GM:

"On the base 6 speaker system, the subwoofer is not used for reproducing audio. The subwoofer is used only for producing the cancellation tones for the Active Noise Cancellation System.
On the uplevel 8 speaker system, the subwoofer is used for both reproducing audio and the ANC system tones".

Next . . . The frequency of the chimes and beeps are above the frequency crossover for a sub woofer amp since many have selectable crossover even with the high level input. Select even a 100HZ crossover and that is way under any beeps and chimes. Minimal effect if any.
People have done that numerous times in this forum.

But the rear speakers will work in a pinch also. .. . just not as well and some have complained about the lack of bass that was expected.

Check out BandDirectors threads and how he did it as well as others.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The quote you stated from GM does not say the front door speakers aren't used for ANC.Banddirector has a V6 with No ANC and he tapped his subwoofer signal.I saw a picture in an add about the ANC and it definitely showed the front speakers putting out cancellation waves.I'm going to post the picture below.

Your point about the door chimes and other factory beeps is valid though Jaytee.But I'll tell you if those front speakers are playing ANC waves you will get some very annoying humming in your subwoofer if you tap into that for a signal.

Here's the page I seen a while back.Read the bottom note in the add.....

·
Registered
318 Posts
OP,do not tap your front speakers for a signal.You can use the front low level BEFORE they hit the stock amp and you'll be fine.After the amp and you'll be regretting it,trust me.See the above picture I posted.It states clear as day that the front speakers ARE used for ANC cancellation waves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is there any consensus as to where to tap into speaker wires for an aftermarket amp for subs if you have ANC in your NOX? Should I tap into them straight out of the head unit just to be sure? If so, does it matter if they are the front, rear, or center speaker wires?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Is there any consensus as to where to tap into speaker wires for an aftermarket amp for subs if you have ANC in your NOX? Should I tap into them straight out of the head unit just to be sure? If so, does it matter if they are the front, rear, or center speaker wires?
Tap the low levels before they enter the stock amplifier.The ANC cancellation waves happen inside of the amplifier so if you intercept the signal BEFORE it hits the amp you'll be fine.You can tap either the front or rear signal,doesn't matter.They are both full range.I sell harnesses for this purpose but you don't have to buy one.Just cut and solder the stock wire right at the stock amplifier.If you need the wire colors I can provide them for you.On the other hand if you want to check my harness out for this purpose,the link below will take you to the thread.I have literally sold dozens and dozens of these over the past 5 months and customers have continually enjoyed great success with them.

https://www.terrainforum.net/32-aud...ration-harness-2010-2016-equinox-terrain.html

·
Registered
318 Posts
JH,

Thank you for your recommendation. The last thing I'm trying to figure out is where to wire in for the remote wire for my amp. Should I just tap into the ANC wire from the fuse panel or is there a better place to do that?
Best place is at the interior fuse panel located on passenger side left ankle area.Here's a picture of the fuse panel,you can use any of the fuses or empty slots from the column with the 3A fuse in it.They're all switched 12v.If you want to use an empty slot there and add your own circuit from the back then the second picture I've provided is the part number for the correct terminal.You'll only need 1 and you can get it at ProwireUSA for less than $1.Otherwise just use one of those fuse taps from an auto parts store that piggybacks on an existing circuit.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, do I remove the fuse box from the bracket and wire into it from behind? I've only hooked up one remote wire ever and I think I just tied into the fuse block, but I didn't do a clean job 7 years ago when I did it. What is a "fuse tap" commonly called? I wasn't able to determine what you were referring to by searching on Autozone or Advance Auto. BTW, thank you for the quick responses. I truly appreciate it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Google "add a fuse" and you'll find them or go to an auto parts store and ask them.They just piggy back on top of an existing fuse.Very easy to use but not as clean as adding your own circuit from the back.Yes,to add a circuit you'll need to pull the plastic housing out of the metal frame with a couple of flat blades on the sides where the tabs are at.Here's a picture of that fuse panel pulled when I was adding a circuit from the back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay so here I've read and read threads trying to figure this out. I have a 2014 chevy equinox ltz with a pioneer system. I installed a LOC, tapped into the rear speakers at the factory amp and ran them back. Everything kicks on just no sound. Am I missing something? Do I have to tap in somewhere else? Any info is appreciated in advance.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Okay so here I've read and read threads trying to figure this out. I have a 2014 chevy equinox ltz with a pioneer system. I installed a LOC, tapped into the rear speakers at the factory amp and ran them back. Everything kicks on just no sound. Am I missing something? Do I have to tap in somewhere else? Any info is appreciated in advance.
Tapping the speakers for a signal is not the best way in these vehicles, especially your year.I don't know why people insist on tapping their speaker outputs when they have,at the stock amplifier,a very clean and strong full range low level signal that most of the time DOES NOT require a LOC.

I can't tell you how many harnesses I've sold(which tap the low levels)to people that basically want to rewire their system and when they finish the new install it cleans everything up and their system sounds way better.

My advice to you is to go back to the stock amplifier and tap the rear LOW LEVELS and NOT the speaker outputs.Ditch the LOC ,wire in some RCA's and run them straight to the low level inputs of your amp.Here are the wire colors and polarity......

rear right +.......dark blue
rear right -........tan
rear left +........brown/white
rear left -........brown

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Best advice above for a simple way to connect.

Reactions: c&wsinbad

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tap the low levels before they enter the stock amplifier.The ANC cancellation waves happen inside of the amplifier so if you intercept the signal BEFORE it hits the amp you'll be fine.You can tap either the front or rear signal,doesn't matter.They are both full range.I sell harnesses for this purpose but you don't have to buy one.Just cut and solder the stock wire right at the stock amplifier.If you need the wire colors I can provide them for you.On the other hand if you want to check my harness out for this purpose,the link below will take you to the thread.I have literally sold dozens and dozens of these over the past 5 months and customers have continually enjoyed great success with them.

Subwoofer integration harness 2010-2016 Equinox/Terrain
I would like to know the color of the wires you are referring to. Maybe a schematic if you have one handy. Thx.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am fairly new, first post. A lot of great info here thank you. I have a 2013 sle2 that I just unhooked the center speaker and upgraded the pioneers with Polk db351, I want more sound and a better thump! I have looked through a lot of posts but don’t find my answer.
How do I hook an amp and upgrade my subwoofer without messing with the ANC or any other factory bells and whistles?

Thanks
Buy a harness from LLC customs(send pics of factory amp if possible)it takes a while but my 2017 equinox had a 2plug harness they got me the right one and it plugs in and there’s no problem with ANC or hands free or any other factory components

1 - 20 of 21 Posts