GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an SLE-1 terrain with the base 6 speaker system. It also appears to have a subwoofer that I believe is only used for active noise cancellation, but I can tell it definitely does not work for the stereo.

Does anyone know if it is possible to activate this subwoofer for the stereo? Or is there just a place for the subwoofer, and there is actually no subwoofer behind the plastic (in the right rear panel)? It looks like there is one...

·
Registered
432 Posts
i know they use the same trim panel in all Terrains but i don't think there is a sub there unless you actually get the upgraded stereo.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I've got a Nox LT with the base 6 speaker stereo...and yes there is a subwoofer, and yes it does work for music. Turn down the treble and then crank the bass to 5-6 past the halfway mark and then turn up the volume and watch your rearview mirror vibrate. It's not a strong sub by any means..but you can feel it if you have it dialed in and the music turned up.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Sub-woofer works only for the ANC in the base model radio equipped vehicle. Your mirror will vibrate at loud volumes without a sub-woofer. With a sub-woofer it can vibrate at low volumes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. The subwoofer is definitely not working for music. Does anyone know if this subwoofer can be activated for music easily by supplying it with an amp? The dealership I'm working with is not very helpful.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Actually, for a car stereo shop, it would probably be very easy to hook up the sub with or without an amp for music. But, I'm not sure I'd recommend it due to the ANC. If the radio can't control the SUB, but does send it and ANC signal, you'd probably loose the ANC ability or even make it worse.

I'd look at other options.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Narg said:
Actually, for a car stereo shop, it would probably be very easy to hook up the sub with or without an amp for music. But, I'm not sure I'd recommend it due to the ANC. If the radio can't control the SUB, but does send it and ANC signal, you'd probably loose the ANC ability or even make it worse.

I'd look at other options.
So the sub doesn't work for music even with the upgraded Pioneer system? They either found a way to keep ANC with the upgraded stereo/speakers or they don't have a true sub either..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Commonly Misidentified Issues

· ANC is not working

If a customer knows the vehicle has ANC, it may be a common misperception that ANC is not working because the engine still makes noise. The ANC module only cancels particular frequencies of noise caused by transmission lockup. It is meant to bring the engine noise back to an acceptable level, not create a noise-free environment, such as noise-cancelling headphones.

· The subwoofer is not working

Vehicles equipped with the base-level audio system (RPO UW6) and ANC (RPO VQN) will have a subwoofer in the rear compartment. The subwoofer is necessary for ANC operation and is used only for ANC on vehicles equipped with the base-level audio system. With UW6, no CD or radio audio output will come out of the subwoofer (strictly dedicated for ANC).

TIP: ANC does NOT cancel wind noise, road noise, or any engine noise above 2000 RPM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been looking for this documentation, so thank you for providing the ANC details. This is what I had assumed but could not find it documented anywhere.

So based on this information, it seems like it would be easy to add an amp and somehow make the subwoofer start working for the stereo as well. I just don't want to ruin the ANC system though. If anyone knows if this can be done, please comment. Thanks.

·
Registered
446 Posts
NoobNox said:
So the sub doesn't work for music even with the upgraded Pioneer system? They either found a way to keep ANC with the upgraded stereo/speakers or they don't have a true sub either..
No actually if you have both ANC and Bass music going to the same speaker, it has to be calculated in the amplifier or you'll loose the ANC because of audio indifferences between the wavelengths in the music and in the ANC signal. Both signals will still go to the SUB, but they could clash and cause worse results.

Basically the way ANC works is that it takes the music input and a microphone input and digitally converts the signal to a completely new single signal for both audio reproduction and noise cancelling. If they are not combined properly it may be a problem. I'm not that well versed in this technique, so it could be a small or large problem. YMMV.

·
Registered
54 Posts
There is no clashing.

But it uses the front door speakers and sub for ANC.

Messing with the existing set up and adding the sub won't work very well because the vehicle is EQed for no sub....and the radio is not set up for that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just changed my front speaker-system with component. Existing front have no x-over. It worked here. At first I was hesitant that it might mess up the ANC but sounds like it didn't

Narg said:
No actually if you have both ANC and Bass music going to the same speaker, it has to be calculated in the amplifier or you'll loose the ANC because of audio indifferences between the wavelengths in the music and in the ANC signal. Both signals will still go to the SUB, but they could clash and cause worse results.

Basically the way ANC works is that it takes the music input and a microphone input and digitally converts the signal to a completely new single signal for both audio reproduction and noise cancelling. If they are not combined properly it may be a problem. I'm not that well versed in this technique, so it could be a small or large problem. YMMV.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
The same system is in base models, as well as the upgraded, but all speakers do not function on base models. Including sub. The super easy way to fix this is....look up the amp for upgraded system (ltz) models and swap amps. It's plug and play exactly. Opens all speaker channels. It's not a loud improvement but sound quality is better. Find part number and look on ebay. That's all I did in my 15 terrain sle1

·
Registered
531 Posts
The same system is in base models, as well as the upgraded, but all speakers do not function on base models. Including sub. The super easy way to fix this is....look up the amp for upgraded system (ltz) models and swap amps. It's plug and play exactly. Opens all speaker channels. It's not a loud improvement but sound quality is better. Find part number and look on ebay. That's all I did in my 15 terrain sle1

not entirely true, the amps a direct swap and will make the sub work but the sound system isn’t the same. the base systems don’t have a center channel speaker installed and on my 2015 the front door speakers were a different part number not sure about the other speakers. the center channel speaker is where the base sound system is really lacking my 2018 doesn’t have the center speaker and after about 12 years of having vehicles with a center speaker i really notice it’s gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
LTZ amp and subwoofer

Will changing a the amp from a LT to a LTZ amp really power on the subwoofer can it can be used for music play and not just ANC?

Any truth to this

1 - 20 of 31 Posts