GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too bad that GMC did not include a Garage door opener in the Terrain even at an added cost. I found a very small garage door opener remote that would open my garage door and the motorized gate to our subdivision. I mounted the unit just below the handle to the storage unit between the front seats. The electronic opener is approximately 3" by 1 1/2" by 5/8" and is mounted with velro.

The unit is " CLICKER MODEL KLIK1U " and is sold at the Home Depot. It is manufacturered by the Chamberlain Co. Cost approximately $35.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I can't recall where, but there is a thread devoted to getting an actual homelink transmitter and installing it, if you're looking for more of a stock look.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Homelink would be nice to have, but no big deal either. I have a small remote that clips on to the sun visor..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks, for this interesting write-up would want to experiment on this one further this spring.

·
Registered
207 Posts
clarkandrew45 said:
Hey, i can not open the file. Do you have any other pictures that was not loaded into this forum? May an FTP site will do just to let me DL that pictures. thanks.
Just use your user name and password and it will show up for you.
That's what I had to do it

·
Registered
79 Posts
aero said:
Too bad that GMC did not include a Garage door opener in the Terrain even at an added cost. I found a very small garage door opener remote that would open my garage door and the motorized gate to our subdivision. I mounted the unit just below the handle to the storage unit between the front seats. The electronic opener is approximately 3" by 1 1/2" by 5/8" and is mounted with velro.

The unit is " CLICKER MODEL KLIK1U " and is sold at the Home Depot. It is manufacturered by the Chamberlain Co. Cost approximately $35.
I picked up this same exact remote from Home Depot. It's actually a little bigger than I had hoped but I guess it's not too bad. I'm thinking of mounting it in the same place you did because there really isn't another spot that's somewhat hidden while still allowing for relatively easy access. Does it stay in place pretty well with the velcro?

·
Registered
338 Posts
GM quit using homelink and now uses CAR2U from Lear. When I have time, I am going to look at installing the corvette sunshade transmitter.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Superboy95 said:
Now THAT is subtle and clean. A bit pricey, though.
Not really if you consider cost of home link option some dealers charge - I think for Toyota it was $180. It wouldn't work for me though, I like to open garage about 2 houses in advance so it's open because my garage is on steep hill and having to stop to wait for door to open is hassle and dangerous in our Camry as it doesn't have hill assist. I don't want to be flashing other drivers or people on the street either. Their FAQ don't answer if it's possible to link the function to another switch in the car instead of high beams.

BTW only $67 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Northern-Tool-Equipment-Flash2Pass-Garage/dp/B000BVVDL8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1303766893&sr=8-4

·
Registered
142 Posts
I found the perfect homelink substitute. urrr... I use the remote's that came with the garage door opener....Conveniently clipped to visor...Pretty unique idea, huh? Anyone want me to post pic's? Or you think you got the idea?

·
Registered
79 Posts
scottb said:
I found the perfect homelink substitute. urrr... I use the remote's that came with the garage door opener....Conveniently clipped to visor...Pretty unique idea, huh? Anyone want me to post pic's? Or you think you got the idea?
I appreciate the sarcasm but you have to realize that a lot of people don't like to keep garage door openers clipped to their visors for obvious reasons. The options that I and others have posted about are here to help fellow owners figure out what they want to do since our cars don't come with a homelink option. If having the remote clipped to your visor works for you, that's great - that doesn't work for me and I'm sure it won't work for others as well. Different strokes for different folks, right ;).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just installed a garage door opener.
Used a Skylink Receiver (SG-18R) and transmitter (18-T4).
Picked up at Canadian Tire for under $25

Tried to find the best spot for it that would be convienient.

Well, check this out. Works perfectly. Hidden from view, yet easily accessible as I pull up to the garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
The skylink works perfectly. Range is about 5 houses from my driveway, so it is good.
I used double sided tape to attach the bracket. The actual transmitter slides into the bracket. This makes it easy to take out and reprogram or change a battery.
All those other options were ok, but much more expensive and labor intensive.

This is the perfect solution.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts