GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
80 km on the odometer and 36 hours after pickup of my brand new 2010 Terrain and it won't come out of park. I, my wife, my neighbor and the tow truck driver all tried every which way but it's still stuck in Park.
Road side assistance is completely useless. Tow truck took 3.5 hours. Dealership is closed until Tuesday.
I now have to rent a vehicle on my dime and hope the dealership is good enough to reimburse me.

Not the best note to start new vehicle ownership on.

·
Registered
441 Posts
was the steering wheel locked in place?

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Schnitz said:
80 km on the odometer and 36 hours after pickup of my brand new 2010 Terrain and it won't come out of park. I, my wife, my neighbor and the tow truck driver all tried every which way but it's still stuck in Park.
Road side assistance is completely useless. Tow truck took 3.5 hours. Dealership is closed until Tuesday.
I now have to rent a vehicle on my dime and hope the dealership is good enough to reimburse me.

Happened to meonmy Acadia and Terrain. Car was runningbut I couldn;t shift out of park.

The car was parked on a slight decline. I guess it was enough to shift the weight. I opened the door andpushed the car back against the door frame and then grabbed the a pillar and pushed it forward. It really just rocked the car a minimal distance and i heard the click. Got back in and it was fine. Came outof park no problem.

Sometimes I thinkthe pinsor whatever locks the tranny with the shifter doesn't seat correctly.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Schnitz said:
Tried that myself and then the tow truck rocked it a bit with his truck to no avail.
sorry to hear that!
my equinox left me stranded with 92 miles on it and wouldn't start. ended up being the security system. but i was without the truck almost a week.

i hope you can get it going soon

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Schnitz said:
Tried that myself and then the tow truck rocked it a bit with his truck to no avail.
There is also a solenoid in there connects with brake system.Youhave to depress brake to put in gear. That could be causing the problem. I think i remember correctly from the Acadia.

·
Registered
170 Posts
it was mandatory for all auto cars to have a manual release of the lock pin, that a few years ago. I don't know if the new vehicles still have it.. did you check the users manual? Same happened to my sisters equinox and was repaired and never had an issue after that.
Either way good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the owners manual but I couldn't find any relevant information.
I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
977 Posts
From the manual:

If you cannot shift out
of P (Park), ease pressure on the
shift lever, then push the shift lever
all the way into P (Park) as you
maintain brake application. Then
press the shift lever button and
move the shift lever into another
gear. See Shifting Out of Park on
page 8‑33.

On 8-33 Same thing

Shifting Out of Park
To shift out of P (Park):
1. Apply the brake pedal.
2. Press the shift lever button.
3. Move the shift lever.
If you still are unable to shift out of
P (Park):
1. Fully release the shift lever
button.
2. Hold the brake pedal down and
press the shift lever button
again.
3. Move the shift lever.
If you still cannot move the shift
lever from P (Park), see your dealer

Also it mentions this:

Torque Lock
Torque lock is when the weight of
the vehicle puts too much force on
the parking pawl in the
transmission. This happens when
parking on a hill and shifting the
transmission into P (Park) is not
done properly and then it is difficult
to shift out of P (Park). To prevent
torque lock, set the parking brake
and then shift into P (Park). To find
out how, see “Shifting Into Park”
listed previously.
If torque lock does occur, the
vehicle may need to be pushed
uphill by another vehicle to relieve
the parking pawl pressure,

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had experienced a similar problem with my Nox shortly after I got it. It bagan after I had a trailer hitch installed and the ECM was updated. I returned to the dealer, they did a second ECM update and the problem of shifting out of park was corrected.

My posting is still here on teh forum is you care to do a search of Shifting out of park. Good Luck!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I hate when I remote start it, then put the key in but forget to turn it to the "on" position. It won't shift out of part without the key in the "on" position, and it usually takes me a second to realize what I did.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Narg said:
I hate when I remote start it, then put the key in but forget to turn it to the "on" position. It won't shift out of part without the key in the "on" position, and it usually takes me a second to realize what I did.
Yes, I have done that a few times myself! Always say to myself when Nox won't start "Whaa?....oh yea, duh!"

·
Registered
137 Posts
Reading the last two posts (from NARG and Roesterman) I had to laugh out loud, because I've done the same damned thing too. Thanks for the posting guys! ;D

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Schnitz said:

It's been 6 days you still stuck in park?
How about letting us know what it was

·
Registered
3 Posts
2012 terrain automatic My shifter release button is stuck and it wont release in any gear, not even park. All i can do is turn the engin off as it wont disengage to let me get my keys out of the ignition....navigation and interior lights are all still on as if the car was running. Please help

·
Registered
673 Posts
Jetsnut4life said:
2012 terrain automatic My shifter release button is stuck and it wont release in any gear, not even park. All i can do is turn the engin off as it wont disengage to let me get my keys out of the ignition....navigation and interior lights are all still on as if the car was running. Please help

Take it in.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not sure if this applies but some other brands use a neutral safety switch which is fused. If the fuse goes, no shifting out of park. There is also a switch on the brake pedal that goes bad from time to time...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the responces. I had a good night sleep as I wanted to attempt to fix the terrain with a sledge hammer last night. Battary is dead but ur egintion release worked like a charm. I am gound to drive the car as planned today as I can't see it doing anymore damage and yes I do have bumper to bumper still. The dealer isn't open today so the terrain would just sit there until tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts